Driver CPC.. a reply from the DSA

So below is the response I received from the DSA. With the best will in the world, I cannot see how anyone can actually believe what is said…

Names are removed to protect the innocent… :wink:

29 November 2010

Dear Mr *********
Thank you for your email of 13 November about the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).

Driver CPC is a European Union (EU) Directive and implemented across all EU Countries. I must stress that as this is European legislation, the United Kingdom did not have the choice to opt out. If we did, sanctions would be levied against us and it would affect our competitiveness in Europe .

Whilst I appreciate your comments, the driver CPC is intended to improve road safety and reduce casualties through better qualified drivers. Drivers will develop defensive driving techniques which the industry anticipate will make significant savings in fuel consumption.

It should also bring an improved professional and positive image to these industries, encouraging younger people to consider driving as a career. Both the Goods Vehicle and Public Transport sectors have informed us that there is a great shortage of drivers at present.

A survey of the industry has shown that the majority of professional drivers get very little refresher training throughout their careers, especially those that work for small firms. The new legislation ensures that all drivers will take part in approved training courses.

I assure you that the directive applies to drivers in all European member states and also to drivers from other countries who are working in the EU. British drivers will not be disadvantaged in any way. On the contrary, they will now have more opportunities to work in the EU.

Now that the legislation has been implemented all professional drivers must comply with it. If you do not have driver CPC, you will not be able to drive for a living in the European Union.

We are in no way stating who is or who is not a good driver. The reason for the introduction of CPC is as stated above to improve road safety. I would hope as an employer within this industry you would welcome an improvement in road safety and the reduction in casualties.

The Sector Skills organisations for the LGV and PSV (Public Service Vehicle) industries have formed a joint committee which approves and audits training centres and courses for Periodic Training.

The committee is called JAUPT, the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training and their website is www.drivercpc-periodictraining.org. If you have any issues regarding specific training courses or accredited training centres you would need to contact JAUPT.

I trust I have clarified the issues raised.

Yours sincerely