Driver cleared

I realise that the family of this victim are devastated by the loss of the young lady and that the HGV Driver has been cleared,but it won’t be easy for him,knowing that she died in the Ambulance despite his best efforts to keep her alive.

There is only sadness here all round, no winners.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … court.html

His lawyer’s have earned their money on this case. 23 seconds sat at a red light? I’dve expected 20 cyclists alongside at that time of day.
Anyone know who he drove for? As it was a “massive Foden” and “as big as a house” it must’ve been Wynns? I think Keltbray’ve sold on all their Fodens.

“three-month trip unpaid work placement at the Warburg Institute.”

“bought a second-hand bike to visit galleries and museums because she could not afford public transport.”

There is a picture of the truck in this link
thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cy … 242403.ece

It appears the truck had an audible ‘this vehicle is turning left’ warning operating for the 23 seconds whilst it was stationary
london24.com/news/crime/clea … _1_4478173

totally agree no winners at all and so sad, I still say too many riders have no idea of how much danger they often put themselves in mind.

Surrey Driver:
There is a picture of the truck in this link
thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cy … 242403.ece

It appears the truck had an audible ‘this vehicle is turning left’ warning operating for the 23 seconds whilst it was stationary
london24.com/news/crime/clea … _1_4478173

In that second article it says he spent 8 weeks in a psych unit after a nervous breakdown, poor bloke. As the OP says, no winners.

If a truck is stationery, should be illegal for bikes to pass beyond the rear bumper. Wouldn’t solve everything ( especially as not all would obey that ), but it is simple and effective at cutting deaths.

I always say that if someone is going to blame a driver for not seeing something that is what,about 5’ by 2’ by 6’, why on earth can a cyclist not see something that is around 30’ by 8’ by 15’ depending on type.

war1974:
totally agree no winners at all and so sad, I still say too many riders have no idea of how much danger they often put themselves in mind.

They don’t seem to care !!! I was driving past the Oval recently, and they’ve put in a whole lane for Cyclist’s, by taking out what was a lane for traffic, and that is fine by Me (you never expect to get anywhere quickly in London anyway), yet at least 3 cyclist’s rode past Me in the vehicle lane :unamused:

Its a very sad situation for all, but for members of the Family to claim she had no justice is wrong, a Jury cleared the Man, that’s how it works. They listen to all the evidence, and make a judgement. There must have been compelling evidence to clear him, as the Jury deliberated for less than an hour.

I wish Mr Doyle well for the future.

He wasn’t a tipper driver…■■? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

To be honest going into London without 360 cameras and turn left warning is suicide…
It’s becoming like risking for crash for cash on roads without dashcams… just by 2 wheel scammers and in certain area… :d

war1974:

Agreed. I think part of the problem with road cyclists is that they don’t treat the roads even in the same way that motorcyclists do.

Cyclists often seem engrossed in maintaining their own maximum speed without regard to the need to flow with the rest of the traffic, or even the need to proceed defensively. The exertion of the activity probably affects their judgment and concentration also.

eddie snax:

war1974:

They don’t seem to care !!! I was driving past the Oval recently, and they’ve put in a whole lane for Cyclist’s, by taking out what was a lane for traffic, and that is fine by Me (you never expect to get anywhere quickly in London anyway), yet at least 3 cyclist’s rode past Me in the vehicle lane :unamused:

Its a very sad situation for all, but for members of the Family to claim she had no justice is wrong, a Jury cleared the Man, that’s how it works. They listen to all the evidence, and make a judgement. There must have been compelling evidence to clear him, as the Jury deliberated for less than an hour.

+1

All very sad, so can’t we have more education for cyclists? Some “rules of the road” adverts on TV maybe?
We could even have ones motor vehicles, showing that outer lanes are for overtaking, and how vehicles SHOULD join traffic from a slip road. Or is that too easy? :open_mouth:

eddie snax:

war1974:

well said eddie got to agree with that

A sensible result instead of the usual jumping on the driver. He obviously didn’t see her, but at what point did she not see him? Sad as it is she should of had more road sense

ediiesnax and night and day, bang on. It can’t always be down to the driver.

This i of course a tragedy with only losers. We are all looking at it from the perspective of a driver.This lady was German and possibly finding it difficult to accept driving and riding on the left.

True enough,but she was described as an experienced rider, which begs the question ’ why did she go up the inside of a vehicle with it’s left indicator on and with audio warning as well’ ?

peterm:
True enough,but she was described as an experienced rider, which begs the question ’ why did she go up the inside of a vehicle with it’s left indicator on and with audio warning as well’ ?

Because ‘experienced’ does not mean sensiable.

I wonder if the driver was in court wearing those clothes.

I’d make them have bells (or similar), mirrors and no headphones.

In other words engage with the traffic around them.

So if a cyclist overtakes you then turns left and hits your vehicle it’s not the cyclist’s fault?

Janina did nothing wrong. She was in the cycle lane. God knows people moan enough at cyclists for not using cycle lanes.

Janina was in the cycle lane. Doyle, who lied in court, twice, had just overtaken her 200m back. He knew she was there, he has half a minute to check. He didn’t check, turned across her lane and killed her. He then got out of the lorry and shouted “You stupid girl!” at her. He then lied to the police and said the light was green. It was only when he was shown the witness evidence that he changed his story. He had also never heard of safety mirrors because he “worked in Ireland”. He also claimed Janina died that day. She did not.

Doyle knew the cyclist was there. He knew the cycle lane was there. He turned without checking. If a cyclist turned without checking and scratched your truck you’d scream blue murder.

road.cc/content/news/184574-fami … ng-cyclist

Vehicle turns across an unclear lane and kills human being. By definition that’s death by dangerous driving. There’s no confusion of the law or rules as that rule already exists. If you turn left across an occupied lane into a vehicle that has pulled up alongside to you, you are 100% in the wrong every single time.

“Danny” Reidar Farr, killed October 1, 1999, junction of Westbourne Grove and Hereford Road, by a left turning skip lorry, driven by Vincent Doyle, operated by PowerDay. Despite witness evidence that driver failed to signal, court acquitted driver. autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php … oct11news2 -

sorry but you are blinded by your passion, you state quite clearly that the driver had passed her 200 yards earlier so she was behind him, he has every other road user to worry about as well as the traffic lights, road markings, the cyclist was behind him and chose to move up his inside, at a junction where he was indicating his intention to turn left. I am very sorry that this lady died, it is tragic but she moved herself into a position where the driver couldn’t see her. I am very sorry but because she was killed does not absolve her from any responsibility , she took a wrong decision and put herself at risk, drivers can only do so much .but cyclists also have to have a responsibility not to put themselves in danger, she made a bad decision and sadly paid the price.

until cyclists understand that their safety is not just down to the truck driver, but also theirs, and stop going up the inside of any large vehicle these tragedies will continue to happen…

roaduser66:
Janina did nothing wrong. She was in the cycle lane. God knows people moan enough at cyclists for not using cycle lanes.

Vehicle turns across an unclear lane and kills human being. By definition that’s death by dangerous driving. There’s no confusion of the law or rules as that rule already exists. If you turn left across an occupied lane into a vehicle that has pulled up alongside to you, you are 100% in the wrong every single time.

Feel free to show this so called ‘law’ which would obviously over rule rule 221 of the highway code for example.While for your information cycle lanes can’t by definition cross junctions or nothing would be able to turn across them. :unamused: The fact is if you want to jail someone for dangerous etc driving then the burden of proof is proof beyond reasonable doubt.If it was me on the jury in this case it would have been the reference to passing the cyclist 200 m before the turn and the cyclist then obviously under taking the truck into the junction instead of waiting which would have been the deal breaker.IE 200 m is too far back to fit the definition of overtaking and turning across a cyclist while it’s clear that the truck arrived at the junction first and the cyclist approached from behind it and under took it into the junction.At which point the driver has to be cleared unless you want to set a precedent which would result in any sensible driver walking away from the job.