Driver boots/shoes what is actually required?

Hi,

I’m hoping to start my driver training very soon and need to start looking at getting some work boots/shoes. I’d like to know what the actual requirement is for a hgv driver with regards to safety footwear? I’ve seen boots/shoes that are graded S3 or S1 etc… and have no idea what I should be going for… I must admit I prefer shoes as I find them most comfortable.

I’m obviously looking for comfort during driving as well as safety whilst doing everything else

Any suggestions??

Thanks

You don’t need any boots to drive a truck. People drive in crocs which is almost as bad as being a ■■■ offender.

Your employer will specify but if you don’t know that yet to tick the most boxes go for boots with ankle protection (not rigger boots), reinforced sole (to stop penetration from nails etc), waterproof and slip proof and they’ll cover most bases.

Don’t spend a fortune either to start with…

As toonsy…

Has pointed out, you don’t need any safety footwear to actually drive the lorry. You need safety footwear on just about any site you care to visit.
For my own part, I carry safety boots (nice snazzy pair of yellow trimmed suede boots) in my bag but, drive in trainers that appear to be safety trainers. 9 times out of 10 I’m in and out of sites no bother. On the odd occaision I get asked to change shoes, I’ve got them in my bag.
I like to feel the pedals I’m using to control the two most critical functions of a lorry. Great big chunky boots don’t do it for me.

If company provide them then it’s upto them to provide the right kind

But basically as long as it’s steel toecapped your fine.
Although some sites especially building sites don’t like you in steel toed trainers.

If it helps I wear Stanley (max I think) work. Boots there comfy enough.
If doing long distance then you can always change into trainers or what ever while driving

If doing stop start then.you have wear them.all day.

Although I read your doing driver training taking lessons.
Does it matter if there steel toecapped when taking lessons? Be an idea to ask the question

You could have a read of this thread r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? … source=app

£15 boots from Screwfix?
in the end I pushed the boat out and went for these. (Although now on clearance with very few sizes)
screwfix.com/p/site-elbert- … e-11/153fh
I quite like them with thick socks they are comfortable, although they are waterproof but not breathable, so can end the day… damp!

Depends on what your Company stipulates, my final job safety boots/shoes where mandatory anywhere on site along with hi vis vest or jacket.

External toe cap boots with as much ankle protection as possible padding and height laced tight to stop any sprains/twists walking around pot holed sites and yards etc.
Never had any problems driving anything wearing boots.

edd1974:
Does it matter if there steel toecapped when taking lessons? Be an idea to ask the question

I think I will have to because they just said “suitable safety boots”

If you’re not used to wearing steel toecap boots I’d suggest you look on e.g. Screwfix website and choose some safety footwear with composite (i.e. reinforced plastic) toecaps and penetration resistant midsoles. Steel toecaps/midsoles can be VERY cold (the metal conducts away the heat from your feet) as well as heavy. Screwfix helpfully sort their safety footwear into shoes, boots, trainers and “trainer boots”. I’d suggest the latter as probably not over-chunky, allowing reasonable foot mobility while still giving a good degree of ankle protection (which you’ll almost certainly come to appreciate at some point when you start hefting pallets etc around on a pump truck).

saintryan:

edd1974:

I think I will have to because they just said “suitable safety boots”

There isn’t a requirement to wear safety shoes for training afaik. I did my training in trainers both C and C+E.

Work wise it’s a different story.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I would wait until you go and register with an agency or until you discuss with a potential employer.

An agency will probably ask you if you have some, hoping that you say yes. When they ask say no you don’t and they have to provide them. If they say you have to get them yourself, this is a fairly good indicator that the agency isn’t a good one. If you are really desperate for the work of course you could buy a pair, but that is personal choice.

An employer should definitely be providing minimum PPE, so boots should be provided.

Lidl, Aldi and Screwfix also Band Q would sort you out without spending very much. I often change into shoes if driving for more than one hour. Boots if doing short hops.

I wear sandals. I got mine from Aldi but I think Lidl might have some on clearance.
They are super comfy and easy to slip in and out of when on site.

Also top tip just use a bag at Lidl without scanning it 90% of the time they won’t question you on it. Now you have a work bag that will last you years.

Just don’t use Tesco, Sainsbury’s or Asda bags they don’t last the day. Unless you get their £2 bag for life things but im not paying that much for something that should be free.

I should probably start wearing trainers though as ever since I started wearing sandals I’ve gotten a limp. Sure it will fade though

NINTCHDBPICT000581111840.jpg

adam277:
I wear sandals. I got mine from Aldi but I think Lidl might have some on clearance.
They are super comfy and easy to slip in and out of when on site.

Also top tip just use a bag at Lidl without scanning it 90% of the time they won’t question you on it. Now you have a work bag that will last you years.

Just don’t use Tesco, Sainsbury’s or Asda bags they don’t last the day. Unless you get their £2 bag for life things but im not paying that much for something that should be free.

I should probably start wearing trainers though as ever since I started wearing sandals I’ve gotten a limp. Sure it will fade though

If your bag for life fails just take it back to the store next time that you go. They will replace the bag.

Noremac:
I would wait until you go and register with an agency or until you discuss with a potential employer.

An agency will probably ask you if you have some, hoping that you say yes. When they ask say no you don’t and they have to provide them. If they say you have to get them yourself, this is a fairly good indicator that the agency isn’t a good one. If you are really desperate for the work of course you could buy a pair, but that is personal choice.

An employer should definitely be providing minimum PPE, so boots should be provided.

But how good would they be? I fear they would be closer to the £15 range than the £30 range.

I use dealer boots; they’re comfortable, comply with the safety bit and I can easily slip them off when I’m back in the cab and put my Clacks on.

However; if you end up loading out of a cement works you won’t be allowed in unless you’ve got lace-up boots on. Reason being that if cement dust gets in your boot it can burn your skin quite badly. So I keep a pair of cheap lace-ups in the ;locker for that reason.

adam277:

Nick one from Morrisons; theirs are more expensive so you’re getting better value.

Sidevalve:

adam277:
Also top tip just use a bag at Lidl without scanning it 90% of the time they won’t question you on it. Now you have a work bag that will last you years. With the added advantage that you wont look like a cheap skate.

Nick one from Morrisons; theirs are more expensive so you’re getting better value.

With the added advantage that you wont look like a cheap skate.