Drinking coffee cuts accidents

Heard about this finding last week.
Here’s the article
http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=21855

Coffee cuts crash risk for truck drivers

[Posted: Wed 20/03/2013 by Deborah Condon www.irishhealth.com]

Long distance professional drivers are significantly less likely to crash if they consume caffeinated beverages to help keep them awake, a new study suggests.

According to Australian researchers, driving for long periods of time in a sedentary position can be monotonous and this has been linked to drowsiness, which can increase the risk of a crash. This scenario is common for long distance commercial drivers of heavy vehicles.

Caffeine is a well recognised stimulant worldwide. While studies have shown it can improve alertness, until now, it has been unclear whether this can lead to a reduction in injuries. The researchers decided to look into this further, by analysing the effects of caffeine on the likelihood of being in a crash.

The study looked at 530 long distance drivers who had been in a crash and 517 long distance drivers who had not been in a crash in at least the last year.

Altogether, almost half of the drivers said they had consumed caffeinated beverages, such as coffee and energy drinks, for the sole purpose of helping them stay awake.

After taking into account factors such as age, sleeping patterns, distance driven and breaks taken, the study found that the drivers who had consumed caffeine to help keep them awake were 63% less likely to crash compared to those who had not consumed caffeine.

The researchers from the George Institute for Global Health said that caffeine ‘can significantly protect against crash risk for the long distance commercial driver’. However, they believe this benefit is only short-term and drivers should still ensure that they get regular breaks and naps and that their work schedule is not too heavy.

“Caffeine may seem effective in enhancing their alertness, but it should be considered carefully in the context of a safe and healthy fatigue management strategy. Energy drinks and coffee certainly don’t replace the need for sleep,” they added.

Details of these findings are published in the British Medical Journal.

other publications are available that show excessive use of caffeine has blood pressure implications… take your pick!

that would explain why i have not had an at fault accident for years, but have high blood pressure :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nowt wrong with a power coffee, I like those wild bean cafe’s in the BP Garages, You get a coupon and after 5 stamps you get a free coffee which is nice. Also those fish finger baguettes are tidy :smiley:

tango boy:
Nowt wrong with a power coffee, I like those wild bean cafe’s in the BP Garages, You get a coupon and after 5 stamps you get a free coffee which is nice. Also those fish finger baguettes are tidy :smiley:

I prefer the steak and onion ring with me latte.

I would have to agree coffee does reduce accident’s I always have mine in the café very difficult to have one in the café :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :sunglasses:

weeto:

tango boy:

I prefer the steak and onion ring with me latte.

Yes mate they’re nice too. :wink: :smiley:

Perhaps it’s just me, but I reckon there’s more chance of an accident if you spill the hot coffee in your lap :smiling_imp:

Eating nettles stings your lips!

What if you are caffeine sensitive !, which can cause extreme anxiety & stress to high levels even giving you the shakes, in some cases :open_mouth: which could subsequently lead to an accident :sunglasses: Also in some cases a coffee or two too many may have the opposite effect , & can result in making drowsiness creep in at a fast pace :sunglasses:
I would say it’s down to knowing your own body reactions, characteristics & common sense, when taking beverages ,or indeed food , rather than go on researches information :sunglasses:

What a load of tosh, it’s good driving that cuts accidents. Not coffee.

greggy:
What a load of tosh, it’s good driving that cuts accidents. Not coffee.

Absolutely

shuttlespanker:
that would explain why i have not had an at fault accident for years, but have high blood pressure :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’d imagine that the high blood pressure comes from being an employer rather than an employee! :smiley:

Causation vs. Correlation?

All the best drivers prefer coffee :wink:

p.s. Hello to everyone in the Professional Drivers Forum! I’ll slink back to the newbies forum now :grimacing:

the maoster:

shuttlespanker:

I’d imagine that the high blood pressure comes from being an employer rather than an employee! :smiley:

you might have a valid point there :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nettles won’t sting your lips if you cook them first! ! :smiley: :unamused:

shuttlespanker:

You’re employees past and present are probably responsible for the blood pressure Spankers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: