drink driving

On this occassion i would say no. Your mate has 2 drink driving endorsements ? Obviously learned his lesson :unamused:

i can’t comment on you mate, but i don’t drink and for one would not if i did if i was driving, if some one as been done for it more than once than there will never learn IMO and should not be given there LGV licence back or be able to apply for one, there would also the fact that he/she may find it difficult to get an LGV driving job with drink driving ban on there licence

i think the commisioner is right in there answer, 2 lenghty bans in a car, hes even more of a danger in a 44 tonner,

Dunno depends how long ago and depends on the circumstances.

If it was years ago and he has held a clean licence since, then i don’t really see the problem. a mate of mine has been banned for drink driving twice, but was over 10 years ago the last ban and ever since he got his licence back he won’t touch a drop of booze and go near the car. Infact if he is out for a night out won’t risk driving at all the next day.

Depends on the circumstances as well, i have driven over the limit the next day i am sure in the past, i am sure lots of others have in the past. Its very easy to do, i didnt realise how long you can stay over the limit till checked some web sites out, ive put in before what ive had out drinking one night and its told me i wouldnt be legal to drive till about 6pm the next day. Where as i’d have prob thought before i could drive by about bu the early afternoon.

to be honest i dont think your mate should get his licence, he obviously didnt learn his lesson the first time as he’s done it again.

i understand your mate might be a top bloke but would it stop him doing it in a hgv? i doubt it as he has proved that he would do it again once already.

sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear but its my opinion and you did ask for it… :wink:

I do like a drink and sometimes can get wasted, and not remember anything after about 8 oclock, for no reason but if im driving the next day i dont touch it, its not worth it nowadays…

i got banned, a long time ago and had to talk to the TC to get my licence back. it’s all a load of [zb].
you do the crime, serve your sentence, etc. then that is that. well it is with anything else, unless you’re a hgv driver.

just because someone makes one or two mistakes, it dosn’t make them a bad person, just human.

Them traffic commisioners are nothing but a bunch of self righteous tossers.
LET THE COURTS DECIDE.

Giblsa:
to be honest i dont think your mate should get his licence, he obviously didnt learn his lesson the first time as he’s done it again.

i understand your mate might be a top bloke but would it stop him doing it in a hgv? i doubt it as he has proved that he would do it again once already.

sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear but its my opinion and you did ask for it… :wink:

I do like a drink and sometimes can get wasted, and not remember anything after about 8 oclock, for no reason but if im driving the next day i dont touch it, its not worth it nowadays…

not at al… thats why i asked so i could gauge the different opinions…

I remember another post on this site about speeding where a lot of members commented that the driver obviously was not learning from their errors as they kept getting speeding fines - is this any different :question:

I use to have a night out every thursday in the stockyard truckstop and use to go to the bar and have 3 pints of larger top but there were a lot of drivers that would have 5 or 6 pints then get there head down about 12 ish when i a woke at 6am they would be gone :open_mouth: :open_mouth: they must be still over the limit i would not risk it would you :wink: :wink:

Like limeyphil, I was fool enough to get caught once. Had to go and see the TC, who delayed returning my HGV licence for 3 months.

At the time I wasn’t driving for a living ™ so it didn’t directly affect me but I do have some sympathy with Phil’s view on this, inasmuch as I fail to see what positive effect a longer suspension of the HGV licence would have, assuming we’re talking about first offence. Unless the driver concerned has a very understanding employer, the odds are that he’ll find it difficult enough to get back on the road 'cos of insurance etc (for a start no reputable agency would use him) so as Phil says you’ve done your punishment anyway, why suffer more?

In the case of a second offence (especially if recent enough that the first is still on your licence ie eleven years) then fair enough, the TC could reasonably have doubts about a person’s suitability for HGV driving. That one year of buses, taxis and cadged lifts cured me, never again.

ROG:
I remember another post on this site about speeding where a lot of members commented that the driver obviously was not learning from their errors as they kept getting speeding fines - is this any different :question:

Depends on the circumstances how long ago it. My mate passed his test when he was 17, got banned from drink driving when he was 18, banned for one year he got caught driving home from the pub over the limit he knew he was doing wrong. Then when he was about 21 got caught again think he ended up with a 3 year driving ban, that time he was driving the next day and was just over the limit, was shocked he was still over the limit.

Since he got his licence back the second time he has kept it clean for over 14 years not a single offence, he drives a van these days has done for nearly 10 years.

In his case think it would be harsh if he was refused a HGV because of things he did when he was young and stupid, he saw the error of his ways.

ROG:

Yes it is Rog. Drivers don’t deliberately go through a speed trap too fast, they do so because they commit an error of judgement. You don’t drink and drive by mistake.

Anybody who drinks and drives and gets caught for it nowadays deserves all they get! If its your living your messing with why risk that just for a few pints. If you are caught and after serving your time I think maybe a routine breath test at your place of work before your duty for a set amount of time just in case you just happen to be under the influence.

well i was drink driving by mistake.
i said i’d pick the lads up at the pub, then ran them up to the next pub to get the rest of the lads. there were 2 in the cab with me and the rest in the back of the tipper. then off we went into blackpool.
i told them i won’t be driving back as it wasn’t worth it. But i had one to many and drove back. i was cut up by a taxi and put my truck onto the tram tracks after carriering through a concrete barrier. the police were not amused when i asked if they could put some fat coppers in the back so i could get some traction on the drive axle and go home. it wasn’t until i sat in the police car that i realised how pi55ed i was.

so that’s how you can drink drive by mistake.

bloody new engine in that too. :laughing:

I did it on occasion when I was younger and if I got caught twice I would expect the Jail and not complain if I got it.

I would however expect to catch a break after I proved I had mended my ways so its a case of how long should the punishment last.

For the record I think committing any relatively serious crime twice should see a Jail sentence handed out but after ten years of proving you are no longer a danger then your record should be wiped clean.

If you live out in the sticks and your chances of driving past another human being are practically nil is it still a serious crime. :question:

Whats the law regarding being over the limit and sleeping in your cab? I believe that if you were asleep drunk in your car you would get done for drunk in charge. Is it safe to have a skinfull in a truckstop bar?

Never in this country but I hate to imagine what I would have registered some mornings after a good night in a routiers :blush:

You’d be suprised how many English drivers who wouldn’t dream of doing it over here do it on a regular basis over there.
A mate of mine on a double man job had issues with his copilot being pi… err drunk at the wheel. He only realised when he was woken up by the offending fellow polishing the trailer on the crash barrier :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

DRUNK DRIVERS are potencially a murders so they should be banned for minimum period of 5 years -car license and minimum 10 years hgv license.

at accident they should be shot death - you will say the same if drunk driver will kill your family

jan_m:
DRUNK DRIVERS are potencially a murders so they should be banned for minimum period of 5 years -car license and minimum 10 years hgv license.

at accident they should be shot death - you will say the same if drunk driver will kill your family

What about a driver who didn’t sleep well. Studies have shown sleep deprivation to be more dangerous and statistically happens much more often :unamused:

Warren T. Claim:
Whats the law regarding being over the limit and sleeping in your cab? I believe that if you were asleep drunk in your car you would get done for drunk in charge. Is it safe to have a skinfull in a truckstop bar?

to cover your arse. you should shut your curtains before you go for a drink. enter your cab from the passenger side. lock your keys in a cupboard.
a women was aquited in blackpool some years ago. she was asleep on the back seat of her car, she was drunk, but she told the court that she had drank whiskey to get her to sleep, as it was a very cold night, she had started living in the car as she had left her husband recently. she had no intention of driving the vehicle. and i think the prosecution need to prove intent.