Drink Driving

tachograph:

AndrewG:
Is that what the ban can be now in the UK for drink driving? Three years?
Back in the day (here we go) wasnt it 12months?

Drink driving carries an automatic 12 month ban which apparently rises to a 3 year ban if your convicted twice in 10 years.

This may explain the 3 year ban in the OPs case, if that is the reason he’ll still have the original endorsement on his licence, 2 drink driving endorsements on a licence isn’t going to look good :frowning:

gov.uk/drink-driving-penalties

If thats the case i would have thought insurance is going to be near impossible to get, or…very very expensive…

Morning after breath test and a 3 year ban,must of been some session.

Harry Monk:

ROG:
With a 3 year ban it makes me think that there was more than just this incident - perhaps I am wrong - and I also wonder if any employer would consider you as their insurers are likely not to insure you for LGV :question: :question: :question:

I know of people with DD who have found work driving HGV although it’s always tended to be with… how can I put this?..“lower quality operators”.

Not necessarily. Some of the large operators are self insured, and will consider individual cases on merit. But explaining a three year ban may be tricky…

mattecube:

not really. :grimacing: 4/ 5 day benders, then going home to explain the lipstick and love bites before showering then going to work can be quite tricky. :laughing:

OP you’re lucky really you’ve not killed anyone. My friend Pete ( originally from Bristol ) married a manc bird, he’s done it four times and been caught. NOT EVEN JAILED. :imp: so think on pal, you’ll probably do it again and again but it’s only a piece of paper as my mate Pete says " never learn see! " :smiling_imp: :unamused: any way good luck. :open_mouth:

YOU NEED HELP, I suggest, as you’ve got underlying issues and unfortunately for your bereavement, IT IS NOT/ WAS AN EXCUSE. :open_mouth: sorry to be harsh/ blunt. :grimacing: ex alcoholic not touched a drop in fourteen years and I AM NOT JUDGING YOU! :sunglasses:

Get help, before you self destruct, ■■■■ me I sound old :laughing:

Fatboy slimslow:

mattecube:

not really. :grimacing: 4/ 5 day benders, then going home to explain the lipstick and love bites before showering then going to work can be quite tricky. :laughing:

OP you’re lucky really you’ve not killed anyone. My friend Pete ( originally from Bristol ) married a manc bird, he’s done it four times and been caught. NOT EVEN JAILED. :imp: so think on pal, you’ll probably do it again and again but it’s only a piece of paper as my mate Pete says " never learn see! " :smiling_imp: :unamused: any way good luck. :open_mouth:

YOU NEED HELP, I suggest, as you’ve got underlying issues and unfortunately for your bereavement, IT IS NOT/ WAS AN EXCUSE. :open_mouth: sorry to be harsh/ blunt. :grimacing: ex alcoholic not touched a drop in fourteen years and I AM NOT JUDGING YOU! :sunglasses:

Get help, before you self destruct, [zb] me I sound old :laughing:

For a moment I thought I accidentally switched over to the Jeremy Kyle show then…

tachograph:

AndrewG:
Is that what the ban can be now in the UK for drink driving? Three years?
Back in the day (here we go) wasnt it 12months?

Drink driving carries an automatic 12 month ban which apparently rises to a 3 year ban if your convicted twice in 10 years.

This may explain the 3 year ban in the OPs case, if that is the reason he’ll still have the original endorsement on his licence, 2 drink driving endorsements on a licence isn’t going to look good :frowning:

gov.uk/drink-driving-penalties

If that’s the case he should not be allowed to ride a push bike

I sometimes wish in my industry there was a way to discuss this subject away from the ivory tower pariah sentiment that society has created, and have a properly balanced, adult, unemotional discussion about other matters in context. A discussion without all the childlike hysteria that accompanies (as humans do)

Being drunk doing anything with machinery is obviously not a good thing, but I have my feelings about the day after blood alcohol level marmite way that the public have been taught. At least in my field.

For instance. I have never worked with anyone (and I’ve had a few very very serious things happen in my time) who’s had some the night before who didn’t perform when “it” happened. What I can say is I’ve operated with people who never touched alcohol who by their lack of of good crew cohesion render performance far worse in an emergency than someone who might have “had a couple the previous day”.

This is small fry compared to the overriding industry evidence that fatigue is far far far more dangerous than any residual booze. It’s ok to land a 747 having been awake for 30 hours. But bloody guess what. The public think that’s A Ok. Oh yes. The government haven’t yet instructed us to villifiy each other for that yet. If they were - every airline, ship and lorry would be grounded.

Driving drunk is very bloody wrong, but when discussing the wider issue regarding the day after thing it pays a learned man to think openly from outside your sources of public influence in the wider discussion context

Freight Dog:
This is notwithstanding the overriding evidence from independent sources that is in the industry have know for decades that fatigue is far far far more dangerous than any residual booze. But bloody guess what. The public think that’s A Ok. Oh yes. The government haven’t yes instructed us to villifiy each other for that yet as it they were to do tht every airline, ship and lorry would be grounded.

Totally agree. The problem being there isnt an official test for it yet. No doubt technology will eventually reel this one in though. We all know sticking your head out the window, slapping yourself around the face and pinching the insides of your thighs lasts for what? 30 seconds…?

AndrewG:

Freight Dog:
This is notwithstanding the overriding evidence from independent sources that is in the industry have know for decades that fatigue is far far far more dangerous than any residual booze. But bloody guess what. The public think that’s A Ok. Oh yes. The government haven’t yes instructed us to villifiy each other for that yet as it they were to do tht every airline, ship and lorry would be grounded.

Totally agree. The problem being there isnt an official test for it yet. No doubt technology will eventually reel this one in though. We all know sticking your head out the window, slapping yourself around the face and pinching the insides of your thighs lasts for what? 30 seconds…?

It doesn’t need a test. It would be testing for something the authorities have approved. That’s why they won’t do it. A test by the authorities for fatigue would only prove the rest limitations the authorities create in which crew of airliners, ships and lorries are flawed. It takes empirical evidence before constructing the rules to which commercial companies use as targets.

In my case, the new European flight time limitations came in 2 years ago - we begged for the so called “experts” to ride with us in a trip to experience the sleep deprivation over just one month for themselves. To put their pens to paper. To ride around the world in 6 days via Alaska. And that was just riding as a passenger without flying the thing or handling any emergencies when your body is telling you it’s ruined. This idea was never even rubutted. There’s is no public outcry to silence you see. Only commercial companies who want to make. Money.

Freight Dog:

AndrewG:

Freight Dog:

It doesn’t need a test. It would be testing for something the authorities have approved. That’s why they won’t do it. A test by the authorities for fatigue would only prove the rest limitations the authorities create in which crew of airliners, ships and lorries are flawed. It takes empirical evidence before constructing the rules to which commercial companies use as targets.

In my case, the new European flight time limitations came in 2 years ago - we begged for the so called “experts” to ride with us in a trip to experience the sleep deprivation over just one month for themselves. To put their pens to paper. To ride around the world in 6 days via Alaska. And that was just riding as a passenger without flying the thing or handling any emergencies when your body is telling you it’s ruined. This idea was never even rubutted. There’s is no public outcry to silence you see. Only commercial companies who want to make. Money.

Correct me if Ive got this all wrong. In the Airline industry you have a system whereby pilots and aircrew can report and admit to their own errors, without risk of punishment, in order to improve safety? The idea being that possible common errors and faults can be spotted and corrected. Faults that would remain hidden if air crew were frightened of losing their livelihoods. But there is no method by which aircrew can put themselves up as possible problem drinkers or confess to being unsafe after a possible one off heavy night? How do you, and others in the industry find the incident reporting system works in the real world? Ive heard glowing reports, but that may just be industry spin. If crew say they feel too tired to be safe would their job be at risk?
Dont worry, take your time to answer if you can, and dont fall asleep across the keyboard. :smiley:

As an aside some of this could link into other threads such as health and driving licences. A driver who may have heart or black-out or other health issues may well be slow to seek medical advice for fear of losing their licence. We all know this is wrong, but faced with the real prospect of licence loss leading to job loss and ending up on the dole or on sick pay in a high unemployment area is it any wonder some make the wrong choice?
There is a need for compensation scheme for drivers who`s professional licence is withdrawn for medical reasons. We do seem to have an aging pool of drivers and this can only be an increasing problem in the future. ( Anyone think this needs a new thread now? )

The evidence is mounting to show there is damage to health caused by insufficient sleep but do you hear anything from the Health and Safety Executive about drivers being able to work 15 hour shifts,possibly every day? Night shifts and silly o’clock starts can be lethal too. When you hear about those trucks falling off the road in the wee small hours what do you think might be the contributory factors there?

Freight Dog:
I sometimes wish in my industry there was a way to discuss this subject away from the ivory tower pariah sentiment that society has created, and have a properly balanced, adult, unemotional discussion about other matters in context. A discussion without all the childlike hysteria that accompanies (as humans do)

Being drunk doing anything with machinery is obviously not a good thing, but I have my feelings about the day after blood alcohol level marmite way that the public have been taught. At least in my field.

For instance. I have never flown with anyone (and I’ve had a few very very serious things happen in my time) who’s had some the night before who didn’t perform when “it” happened. What I can say is I’ve operated with very sober gentlemen (and hardly any ladies who fit this bill interestingly enough, they’ve all been ok crew cohesion wise) who by their lack of of good crew cohesion render performance far worse in an emergency than someone who might have “had a few the previous day”.

This is small fry compared to the overriding industry evidence that fatigue is far far far more dangerous than any residual booze. It’s ok to land a 747 having been awake for 30 hours. But bloody guess what. The public think that’s A Ok. Oh yes. The government haven’t yet instructed us to villifiy each other for that yet. If they were - every airline, ship and lorry would be grounded.

Driving drunk is very bloody wrong, but when discussing the wider issue regarding the day after thing it pays a learned man to think openly from outside your sources of public influence in the wider discussion context

Very good post. No one in there right mind would say it’s a good idea to drive home after downing a dozen martinis same as its wrong to drive while stoned.
But the way some of these tests are carried out means people can be charged long after any imparement is gone.
However it sells papers and makes the government look good on cracking down on all them demon druggies.
Alcohol and tobacco do much damage if misused but we tax them so it’s ok though

kr79:
Alcohol and tobacco do much damage if misused but we tax them so it’s ok though

If alcohol and tobacco were “invented” tomorrow they would never be allowed. We are where we are though, banning them is not about to happen any time soon.

Around 9 years ago i was stoppped in a census thing. I was asked had i been drinking as there was a faint smell of alcohol. I admitted that i had been out the night before celebrating my best mates wedding. So i happily provided a breath sample. I’d not had a drink for around 12 hours. I blew over although I felt fine. They obviously arrested me. On the way to the station the copper was quite apologetic as he could tell i wasnt drunk nor was i acting drunk and he said hopefully i’ll blow under on the main machine and he will happily drive me back to my car. I blew 66 on the big machine. I and the copper were gutted.

When it came to court i got 18 month ban but an offer of reducing 25% if i pay for and attend a drink awareness course. Of course i accepted the offer. When my ban was about up i received a letter from the TC saying even though i can now have my car licence back they were banning me for a further month on my HGV entitlement. I can accept or challenge it but was warned it could also be lengthened if i lost my appeal. It was 2 weeks before xmas so i had no intention of trying to get a driving job for a couple months anyway so i just accepted it.

DR10 (which i have) stays on your licence for 11 years but you dont have to declare it after 5. Ive never been anything but honest with my employer(s) it was a silly mistake which cost me a lot at the time (employment, my home, nearly my then girlfriend-now my wife, my relationship with my brother and mother as i had to move back home with ■■■■ all money, my in laws to be as the paid for my class 1 as a gift)

Huge learning curve. I rarely drink now and the odd occasion i do i dont go near my car for 24 hours.

As a side note. On my drink awareness course there was a fella who after a session went to his car, got out his house keys out the glove box and locked his car. As he literally turned around to walk home a copper came flying over in his panda and nicked him. I didnt know you can also be arrested on suspicion of attempting to drive whilst under the influence if you even have your car keys on your person no matter if youre at your car or not.

years ago there were 2 options…drunk in charge,and drunk driving…if you wernt caught driving,then the lesser charge applied.that got changed some years ago by the dudly do good powers that be at the time ,so that even if you are lying sleeping in the back seat with a pillow and a duvet,then your still drunk driving…this is where it leaves it wse open to some plank of a plod to do you for kipping in your truck,or kipping in your campervan somewhere for the night…motor vehicle…your in charge with or without the keys,parked up camping,trucking,or fishing,in a layby,carpark makes no diff if its a campsite,or hotel etc if the public have general access then its valid…your ■■■■■■■■■■ plod decides to do you…wriggle with mitigating circumstances all you wish,your still going to court.its all down to the discretion of plod at the time…you can argue your off duty,or in your bed,all they will say is,that if the truck next to you caught fire,or there were macodougalls trying to rob you,then you would be driving away…anytime i go fishing with my mate and we are sitting in the van ■■■■■■■■■■ keys are hid…as far as im concerned,my misses took them home with her and she will be coming back with them tomorrow,even if its 100 miles away…no keys,no driving,no conviction.

Everytime a DD thread starts, it becomes an amnesty to admit past convictions. With a few excuses thrown in.

Did a stupid thing yesterday.
Out shopping then got home to find visitors on the drive so parked in front of them.
4 hours later they are going home and the wifes giving me those come to bed eyes, well she is a bit bosseyed so its hard to tell.

Anyway drove my car off the drive to let freinds out, parked up then got in the house and it dawned on me what a stupid thing id just done, nice bit of parking to be fair considering the state I was in.

TiredAndEmotional:
The evidence is mounting to show there is damage to health caused by insufficient sleep but do you hear anything from the Health and Safety Executive about drivers being able to work 15 hour shifts,possibly every day?

It’s different if you are making money for the man. :wink:

TiredAndEmotional:
The evidence is mounting to show there is damage to health caused by insufficient sleep but do you hear anything from the Health and Safety Executive about drivers being able to work 15 hour shifts,possibly every day? Night shifts and silly o’clock starts can be lethal too. When you hear about those trucks falling off the road in the wee small hours what do you think might be the contributory factors there?

50p

Hello All,
Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I understand I may have to attend a meeting with the TC. Im still currently on my ban and this expires in April. Someone questioned as to how I can prove I do not drink. Well I attended a Recovery centre and also took a city and Guilds in Personnel Development which evolved Alcohol Awareness. I also did a full detox as well which I have a certificate for. Anyway I would be happy to do any test required and would add I never had a massive problem with Drink but it well could of turned out that way. Yes I was lucky I never killed anyone. That moment of madness caused me a lot of stress and financial grief as you can imagine. Luckily the job centre put me on a course which got me my ticket to work within the civil engineering industry and I earn more money now than I did driving, but I hate it and want to get back on the road minus the bottle lol. So thanks again to you all. Ive taken notes and most appreciated on your comments.