Dream Job...for someone!

oldsid:

Fileep:
http://www.stobartgroup.co.uk/careers/drivers/formula-1-drivers-/-riggers/

Discuss… :exclamation:

While I have no interest in Formula one or being a spectator of anything, What a seemingly terrible advert, it makes the job sound like something from the days of slavery. I can imagine that anyone taking these positions as being someone with little or no self esteem, why would anyone want to put themselves in such a vunerable position, as they could be asked to do the most menial of tasks and be looked down on as some kind of lesser mortal. I could imagine the kind of patronising nonsense you would have to put up with by the jumped up hangers on within the racing industry

I think they’ve done a good job of wording the advert, about sums up the worst part of the job, to try and stop a load of glory boys applying. To work in motorsport you have to graft there isn’t really time to hob nob with the stars. But saying that I’ve been working in motorsport for 10 years and yes you do alot on meanial jobs but you are also appreciated for the work you do and there are plenty of good people on the circuit you can have a laugh with including a few of the Stobart guys.

Did anybody apply, if so how did you get on?

Fileep:

The dream you are thinking of only works if you are employed by the team, not a contractor. Stobarts pay will be a pittance compared to all the team tarnsport drivers, anyone who takes this job will be outcast by all the transporter drivers who work for the actual teams, you will be ignored and hated by them because they will see you as a threat to the far higher pay and conditions they now get.
If you want to drive for a racing team then apply to that team and dodn’t play into Stobbarts hands. I speak from actual experience for working in the F1 and motor sports industry. ‘Truckies’ are part of the team and work in the pits alongside the crew, do you want to be a skivy alongside a team that earns abou 10 times your wage and enjoys a great life whilst mocking you behind your back ?
Stobbarts have tried to ruin every good job there is and I can tell you now that any transporting job with any team will be sabotaged by the team members so it will not be for long … ask your self ‘Do I want to work with people who hate me ?’

I know on my old job when Keddy’s moved in we hated them for moving in on less pay and trying to take our work away by paying lower wages, they eventually lost the work and my old firm carries on but under a different name.

Pat Hasler:

Fileep:

The dream you are thinking of only works if you are employed by the team, not a contractor. Stobarts pay will be a pittance compared to all the team tarnsport drivers, anyone who takes this job will be outcast by all the transporter drivers who work for the actual teams, you will be ignored and hated by them because they will see you as a threat to the far higher pay and conditions they now get.
If you want to drive for a racing team then apply to that team and dodn’t play into Stobbarts hands. I speak from actual experience for working in the F1 and motor sports industry. ‘Truckies’ are part of the team and work in the pits alongside the crew, do you want to be a skivy alongside a team that earns abou 10 times your wage and enjoys a great life whilst mocking you behind your back ?
Stobbarts have tried to ruin every good job there is and I can tell you now that any transporting job with any team will be sabotaged by the team members so it will not be for long … ask your self ‘Do I want to work with people who hate me ?’
I know on my old job when Keddy’s moved in we hated them for moving in on less pay and trying to take our work away by paying lower wages, they eventually lost the work and my old firm carries on but under a different name.

Too late for that, I work for the Probation Service!(I am now a Weekend driver every now and then to keep my hand in) So, pretty much used to it! But I’m not upset by this as the only peoples opinion I care about is that of my family & friends!

With reference of the above job, I would say one mans meat another mans poison and all that. I only resurrected the thread to see if anyone had been sucessful with the application. And as for money for the job £45K a year is good money where I live!

Pat Hasler:

I think you’re being a bit unkind Pat.

For a start F1 trucks have not been driven by the teams Truckies for many years now, they hired in agency drivers for the job. F1 truckies that work for the teams are flown in and out of the circuits.
I know a lot of truck drivers on the circuit who are not part of the teams, DHL, FOM, most of the teams hospitality are done by outside contractors such as MSL or Procar as is the fuel.
There are some on the circuit that look down on these people, but they are normally the [zb]'s that nobody else really likes anway.
As for the Stobart guys I met on the F1 circuit, they couldn’t have been less full of Stobart or F1 bull ■■■■, just did thier job.
Of course if you want to work as a teams truckie you going to have to work in different formulas first and you’ll probably earn far less than a Stobart driver and drive far worse kit and work for some really dodgy characters, might even only find you have a job during the race season. If you do then get a job as an F1 truckie, you’ll then pretty much spend most of your life travelling round on long haul flights.

Fileep:

I applied and got my ‘Thanks but no thanks’ letter last week.

Whenever I watch F1, the crews are all fast asleep in the garage when the race is on!

muckles:

Pat Hasler:

For a start F1 trucks have not been driven by the teams Truckies for many years now, they hired in agency drivers for the job. F1 truckies that work for the teams are flown in and out of the circuits.
I know a lot of truck drivers on the circuit who are not part of the teams, DHL, FOM, most of the teams hospitality are done by outside contractors such as MSL or Procar as is the fuel.
There are some on the circuit that look down on these people, but they are normally the [zb]'s that nobody else really likes anway.
As for the Stobart guys I met on the F1 circuit, they couldn’t have been less full of Stobart or F1 bull [zb], just did thier job.
Of course if you want to work as a teams truckie you going to have to work in different formulas first and you’ll probably earn far less than a Stobart driver and drive far worse kit and work for some really dodgy characters, might even only find you have a job during the race season. If you do then get a job as an F1 truckie, you’ll then pretty much spend most of your life travelling round on long haul flights.

you’re wasting your time trying to tell pat how it is, pat lives in the utopia that is pat’s world!!

pat has the right to call people who’s decent rate is less then his, they’re the ones driving down wages. but pat also has the right go and work for what he thinks is a decent rate, what about all the the people you’ve undercut that were holding out for a better rate pat? pat’s world! :laughing: :laughing:

so has anyone got the job?

stevie

muckles:

As for the Stobart guys I met on the F1 circuit, they couldn’t have been less full of Stobart or F1 bull [zb], just did thier job.

Every time an F1 team wins or even gets on the podium all team members, including the truckies get a very large shere in a bonus, do you think Stobbarts (cut throats that they are) will actually pass on that bonus which is sometimes as much as a couple of grand a race to the driver ? … I very much doubt it.
I have done lots of work with F1, and touring car teams etc and we all got the bonuses if given, contractors drivers didn’t.

well all i would say is stay away from stobart heard today that they are in trouble and tesco wants rid,tesco will not underwrite any loans for stobart trucks now and will stop selling stobart fuel at cost price. plus tesco has put out tender for the chilled distrubution. stobart is ■■■■■■ and it took years to build the rates and took him 5 mins to ■■■■ them sooner they go the better.

Pat Hasler:

muckles:

Every time an F1 team wins or even gets on the podium all team members, including the truckies get a very large shere in a bonus, do you think Stobbarts (cut throats that they are) will actually pass on that bonus which is sometimes as much as a couple of grand a race to the driver ? … I very much doubt it.
I have done lots of work with F1, and touring car teams etc and we all got the bonuses if given, contractors drivers didn’t.

Not really sure what you’re getting at Pat.
Do you think that Stobarts moving F1 teams means that F1 team truckies are losing their jobs to lower paid Stobart drivers?
Simply not true, the F1 truckies haven’t driven trucks, except for the odd short distance trip, for many years now.

Is it because you think the job isn’t a proper motorsport job?
Well it might not be in the sense that I do it and that you did it, but it’s a similar support role that many on the F1 circuit do, and I know people that have done these support jobs for years and work hard and have a dam good time.
I’m sure you must knoe there is a lot more reasons to enjoy working on a race ciruit than watching races and hob nobbing with the rich and famous.

jonesrob1122:
well all i would say is stay away from stobart heard today that they are in trouble and tesco wants rid,tesco will not underwrite any loans for stobart trucks now and will stop selling stobart fuel at cost price. plus tesco has put out tender for the chilled distrubution. stobart is [zb] and it took years to build the rates and took him 5 mins to [zb] them sooner they go the better.

FFS, NTSA. And of course this is your second post so you must be talking sense! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I will say to you what I tell my daughter to say when someone is talking ■■■■! If I wanted to listen to an are sole then I’d ■■■■!

Hay1908:

Fileep:

:unamused: Not even had one of those yet, 3 weeks after the closing date and nowt, good job i’m not holding my breath :exclamation:

sharky the shredder:

Hay1908:

Fileep:

:unamused: Not even had one of those yet, 3 weeks after the closing date and nowt, good job i’m not holding my breath :exclamation:

I applied online on the closing date and my letter of ‘No Thanks’ came early last week. If you have not heard anything then it may be a positive thing as you may have got through a sift that I didnt get through. Chinny up and think positive thoughts :wink:

:unamused: Sorry if some people think i’m reviving an old Stobart thread.

Just had a " Thanks and we’ve put you on our reserve list " letter from old Uncle Eddies.

May not come to anything, but hey, at least i know they read my CV and i stayed on the pile on the desk while the bin was filling up :slight_smile:

for anyone interested, i found a guy who is doing a blog about truckies. might be interesting to those who like motorsport.