Dray work

Anyone doing or done it? I suppose its hard graft, any others pro’s, con’s, tips etc?

Done it years ago, for an agency, working at Greene King. I was a drivers mate, but also went out driving 7.5t doing dray work. It was the only job i had through the agency, was there more months than I wasn’t, but was nevfer taken on. Work was quite physically demanding, but I found it fun, was no need to go down the gym after work. The pro’s I found were near enough every drop, as long as it was one of GK’s pubs, drink waiting on the bar, non alcholic of course, and quite often food, breakfast, lunch etc, and depending on the route, earlyish finishing times. One route I remember was start at 6am, leave yard at Bury St Eds, upto Peterborough, one drop at a wholesaler, then onto a pub and finally a small drop at a bowls club, then back to yard, tip empties, and home, usually by about half 11.
The cons, for me anyway, i’m quite tall, 6ft5, and some of the cellars I found myself in were bit small, not much fun rollings kegs etc round, trying to get kils on stillage while stooped down isn’t much fun. Some of the cellars could be quite damp, and wet, and not the nicest places to work in. But, for me anyway, the pro’s far outweighed the con’s, and I just wish I’d been able to get my class 2 at the time, as I’d probablye d elf a job there

I tried it but have to say i lasted 1 day this was back in the 90s when you could walk out of 1 job and walk into another 1 hour later lol :laughing:

I also did it a few years ago. On for Exel doing the Bass work. Started on agency and got offered a job, took the job and was instantly worse off. They ran a banked hours scheme which basically means you say, for instance, that you had done 10 hours overtime that week, they say you only did 5 because you should have done the job faster. I didn’t stay long after playing that game a couple of times!

The job itself is/ was great. The first couple of weeks I thought I was going to die because it can be VERY hard work until you get the knack. I was a driver but was lucky to have very good mates. I did have one lazy mate, which made the job a lot harder than it should have been. Like the previous poster said, there are a lot of good points about the job…a drink when you want one, breakfast most days and some cracking land ladies… :smiley: :smiley:

6am starts and finish when you finish, usually around 4pm, sometimes before. We had 5 regular runs to do so you get to know all your customers and what the drop entails. Backbreaking at times, squashed fingers are regular but you will be as fit as a butchers dog… :smiley:

We used to get our own truck but you daren’t leave anything in it because the night loaders will have it out…

A good mate is the be all and end all… :wink:

If my current job went ■■■■ up, I would have no problem going back but only on agency…

Good luck, whatever you decide :wink:

I did it for a summer back in the 90’s. Highly enjoyable although as had been said, very hard work. The biggest pro was standing in the cellar looking up the short skirts of the totty walking by. Not that I was perving of course.

DaiDap:
The biggest pro was standing in the cellar looking up the short skirts of the totty walking by.

Wasn’t just me then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Go for it!!!

I was on drays for Carlsberg as my last job (only left for better terms to go back into a transport office elsewhere), and loved it.

Pro’s: Cancel the gym membership, beer allowance from the brewery, freebies from (some) pubs, no two days the same, early start - job & knock,

Con’s: HARD GRAFT! (Don’t even think of trying it if you’re the type who sulks having to use a pallet truck in the back of a trailer), urban traffic, dodgy landlords, general public (I was delivering in inner city Derby & Nottingham - some dodgy geezers there!).

If you’re thinking about it, have a go - Carlsberg (like most firms I assume) put you on 3 months trial, so if the jobs not for you, walk away - no hard feelings.