Drawbar Trucks - Which is easier to drive?

I want to ask this question as i will be moved onto drawbars for a few weeks as of this Tuesday to help with the hay season. I have driven artics 99% of my driving career with only the odd day on close coupled and no days on a-frame. Since our hay trucks have both CC and A-frame trailers i would like peoples opinions on which is better to drag/reverse/load (spread of weight) etc.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

geezah sorry Aframe reversing aaaaarrghh :laughing: never got the hang of it going for ward ok just that going backwards bit :laughing:

I voted for the caravan, 'cos that is just an artic, so bound to be easier. :wink:
Not saying I prefer it though, I always did like a challenge, or perhaps I’m just a showoff at heart. :unamused: :laughing:

:open_mouth: I voted A frame but you either get it and love em or don’t get it and they’ll break your heart , your spirit and a few gateposts :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

well, really the answer depends on whether you’re going forwards or backwards

A frames get into places forwards easier than close coupled, it’s just harder to reverse :wink:

Close coupled needs more room on bends but much easier going backwards

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I voted CC

done two years on A-Frame with halfords redditch take some getting used to but like all trucks enough practice it comes easy,i loved them ,especially when your in the yard dropping boxes and re boxing(two boxes at a time back under your front box then under your back box lift suspension lift legs then draw forward slightly and put your front box on)ive seen grown men cry trying to do this :blush: so when you help them out they are forever in your debt(tea and biscuits :laughing: )

i dont get paid enough to drive A frame. in fact, i could be on alan sugars wages and it still wouldnt be enough to get me driving an a frame :laughing:

It will be on a wag and drag that has to go down narrow lanes and make narrow junctions, so what trailer will be ideal for that? The truck is either a 6x2 or a 8x2 (rear steers) so turning is good on that front.

Andrew

go with a frame they follow very well the route of the prime mover BUT if make a wrong turn dont expect to reverse very quick :laughing:

I voted CC, because I’ve driven both, but I found CC preferable.
The truth is that I found the “A” frame more difficult to reverse, or maybe I’m just getting lazy :wink: I do agree with all comments so far though.

Thanks so far guys. With the A frame being ‘‘new’’… to the company anyway… no-one here has had a go at it yet. I am brave enough to have it, but i wanted peoples opinions first. Keep them coming.

Andy

A frames are the THE DEVILS work

poxy naffing a-frames? no thanks - we had the similar (people often say better?!) GLZ system on Croomes, and if a new driver didn’t get them pretty much straight away you could count on him returning from his first day sweatshop drops in UK with a shagged power steering pump and usually jacking :frowning:

I hated the bloody things and never claim to have anything like mastered them :blush:

one of the companys il spare there blushes had a young enthusiastic driver that thought hed take the A frame combo home to show mum and dad so he took it into there cul de sac and got himself so ■■■■■■■ he had to make the well boss call the result being the wagon and box had to be craned out :laughing: its stories like this that make this job worth while :smiling_imp: A FRAMES ARE NASTY

I loved driving a-frames!!! Nothing better than reversing it straight into a gap. Mind you, it took me 3 months to master the bugger but once I had, I loved it. I would love to get back on one.

mezzzz1211:
A frames are the THE DEVILS work

Couldn’t have put it better myself. :smiling_imp:

Have driven and yard shunted both using demounts and would gladly give away a little handling going forward in a CC than have to reverse an A frame anyday.

scania245:
one of the companys il spare there blushes had a young enthusiastic driver that thought hed take the A frame combo home to show mum and dad so he took it into there cul de sac and got himself so ■■■■■■■ he had to make the well boss call the result being the wagon and box had to be craned out :laughing:

When I bought the first 2 for Toray I had both the drivers trained up with a local firm using them. Couldn’t find a commercial school to do it in those days (did later, Lanes from Bristol). All seemed to be fine although one driver took to it like a duck to water whereas his mate was a bit hesitant. Then I went on holiday. On my return I asked my ATM how did everything go?
‘Oh, fine’, she said ‘except that John’s trailer has been parked up at Hyde all fortnight.’ :open_mouth:
Apparently he had got into a state reversing blind side into a darkened warehouse against the early morning sun and after a couple of hours, several kgs. lighter, and a candidate for the funny farm, he had to abandon ship. :unamused:
Paul went up later in the day and before putting his own trailer on the dock parked John’s up safely out of the way.
John did get back on the bike and had a long career with the drag, but he was never, and never would be, completely at home with it, whereas Paul and Barry (on the 3rd one to come) were naturals and loved every minute, sometimes choosing the more difficult option just to stretch themselves.
Like me. :unamused: :wink: :laughing:

Go with the CC ! only time ive towed an A frame trailer was behind a tractor, it followed behind really well, just dont try reversing it unless you have lots of room :smiley:

Thanks all. I rould have thought the A-Frame would cut in more on corners due to having two pivoting points and the rear axle right at the back. I thought CC would turn better.

Andy

Geezah:
Thanks all. I rould have thought the A-Frame would cut in more on corners due to having two pivoting points and the rear axle right at the back. I thought CC would turn better.

Andy

An a-frame will follow the prime mover faithfully like a dog