DR10

I stupidly got pulled over while slightly over the drink drive limit. :blush: Im due to get my licence back after taking part in the course to get a reduction in my ban. Does any1 know any companys in the Manchester area who would be willing to employ somebody with a DR10?

What licence / experience have you got?

I have been driving 7.5t for 20 years. I have had my class 2 for about 8 years, I had just passed my class 1 9 months before I got banned.

I’m sure you know how silly you were.

Obviously employers aren’t going to queue up to offer you employment, but don’t lose hope.

The smaller operators are a better bet. Recycling / food service / gully cleaners are a pretty safe bet as a lot of drivers don’t want the jobs or don’t last long.

I would suggest door knocking and don’t put any emphasis on your DR10 until necessary. If you can put over a good impression before they look at your licence then it may just swing it.

When I first started out I had 14 points for 2xin10s but still managed to get on with a few local companies.

Some agencies will give you a shot too although mostly it’ll be down to the client as it’s their insurance company that will need to be satisfied.

Best of luck.

Its not so much the company that you’ll have a problem with, you can be as nice and professional as you like but at the end of the day its their insurance company who have the last say. If they wont cover a driver with that on their licence then you have no hope i’m afraid.

Its one of the reason i never drink when i have to work the following day.

Try Fagan and Whalley in Burnley.

Thanks everyone

A firm i used to work for had a rule that you were not allowed to drink 24hrs before undertaking a driving duty.
This was enforced with random breath tests offered by the firm with help from the local police traffic unit.

Just remember 24hrs between bottle & throttle!
But as others have said you may get work but the insurance on you will put most if not all companies off.

Have you been able to keep your licence or did you have to take a retest?

As far as I’m aware I should get it back as I only received a 12 month ban but haven’t applied yet.

You may have to grovel to the Traffic Commissioner.

Just remember 24hrs between bottle & throttle!

Top advice, no doubt there

skypilot:
A firm i used to work for had a rule that you were not allowed to drink 24hrs before undertaking a driving duty.
This was enforced with random breath tests offered by the firm with help from the local police traffic unit.

How? 2 average beers are gone without trace in 6 hours or so

I think drink driving within limits is totally acceptable, otherwise how else is one supposed to enjoy life in this miserable bureaucratic country. I blame the police, if they weren’t such squares or were actually dealing with more important crimes occurring @ the time then you wouldn’t be in this position, you’d be happily living your life like you should do

Brace for impact pimpdaddy. I agree slightly over is a bit harsh but there has to be a limit and an enforceable limit that is the basis for a law abiding society. I think the majority of people would agree that breathalysing people is a good use of police time, he could of been 5 times over the limit

Pimpdaddy:
I think drink driving within limits is totally acceptable, otherwise how else is one supposed to enjoy life in this miserable bureaucratic country. I blame the police, if they weren’t such squares or were actually dealing with more important crimes occurring @ the time then you wouldn’t be in this position, you’d be happily living your life like you should do

Surely you are arguing from both ends there Pimpdaddy? Most would agree that drinking within limits is acceptable, even the law says it is and we all know what that limit is.

By the OP’s own admission he was above that limit and the police enforced the law. The last time I read anything on the subject the limit was 35 mg per 100ml of breath but forces did not prosecute anyone under 40mg per 100ml. So they have built in an additional leeway of 5mg.

If you think someone who is blowing 40 or over is not important enough for the police to be prosecuting where would you set the limit?

About 60mg would work I think
!?

Pimpdaddy:
About 60mg would work I think
!?

Is that number based on any kind of scientific or medical research or is it just based on the fact that you would like to be able to legally drive whilst drunk?

Personally I think it should be 10mg, or maybe even less. That way you eliminate the “I’ve only had one pint officer, I thought I would be OK” argument. I can also see the potential for a lower limit for LGVs than for cars given the difference in size and weight.

Simple fact of the matter is that any amount of alcohol in your blood, however little, impairs your ability to drive to a certain extent. What extent that actually is varies from person to person. One person with the current limit of 35mg in their blood might still be able to drive acceptably well whereas the next person might not. A line has to be drawn somewhere though.

Paul

Pimpdaddy:

I agree completely eĂŒÂ¶xĂŒÂ¶cĂŒÂ¶eĂŒÂ¶pĂŒÂ¶tĂŒÂ¶ that the limit is set too low, but as far as I’m aware the police don’t set the limit.

However it is the fault of the police that they regard going after motorists as more important than dealing with any other sort of law breaking that is not high profile.

tachograph:

Pimpdaddy:

I agree completely except that the limit is set too low, but as far as I’m aware the police don’t set the limit.

However it is the fault of the police that they regard going after motorists as more important than dealing with any other sort of law breaking that is not high profile.

I am staggered that people who lay claim to the title of “professional driver” can suggest that any level of drink driving is acceptable.

Pimpdaddy:

Can’t enjoy life without the bottle? = need help.

When you take on an HGV licence and become hopefully at some point in the future a professional driver then you take on all that goes with it.
That means being nowhere near the sauce at all if you are going to drive any vehicle within a reasonable period.

If the bottle’s in charge not the person then maybe driving lorries isn’t the best job choice, TC’s rightly IMO take a dim view of HGV/PSV holders who can’t control themselves.