DQC and 35 hours training - not doing it?

Does anybody know what happens if you don’t do the 35 hours training in 5 years required to maintain your DQC?

I’m guessing you lose the card, but how do you get it back? Do you have to do the 35 hours training before you get it back or do you have to do the intial CPC (mod 2 & 4 tests) again because you’ve let the card expire?

If dont do it you will not be able to drive commercially

SmashedCrabFace:
Does anybody know what happens if you don’t do the 35 hours training in 5 years required to maintain your DQC?

I’m guessing you lose the card, but how do you get it back? Do you have to do the 35 hours training before you get it back or do you have to do the intial CPC (mod 2 & 4 tests) again because you’ve let the card expire?

You don’t lose anything, you still have a driving licence and can still drive a lorry, just not “professionally.” If you have held your licence since before 10th September 2009 (LGV) You can take your 35 hours at anytime you wish to continue driving for a living.

The reason I’m asking is because I’ve got my Mod 4 and Cat C tests in a couple of weeks so currently have no LGV entitlement, just a car licence held since 2004. If I pass the tests I’m still undecided about whether I should leave the security of my current job though. If I stay where I am, I probably won’t get round to doing the 35 hours training. My job relies on extracting something from the earth which will eventually run out, when this happens I will be made redundant and will want to drive trucks for a living. Assuming this happens in 7 years, and I’ve haven’t completed the 35 hours, how would I get the DQC back at this point? Is it 35 hours training or Intial Driver CPC again?

There are a couple of options open to you.

1. The 5 years CPC entitlement will not start until you pass both the driving test and the Mod 4 test. You could decide not to take the Mod 4 test thereby delaying the start of the 5 years. Once you know you want to drive trucks simply take the test then. It is very very easy to pass and only needs a couple of hours training beforehand.

2. You could pass all the tests now. Once the 5 years years expires it is just a case of sitting the 35 hours periodic training. This option has the advantage that at least you could drive if you wanted to during the 5 years.

Another thing to consider is when to apply for the Digi tacho card bacause this also only lasts 5 years.

Regards

John
Flair Training