DPD Full-time Drivers

Hi Guys,

I am currently in the process of going through my Class 2. I am just waiting for my licence to come back so I can book my Theory/ Hazard perception.

Obviously the end goal is to get a Class 2 job.

Now here’s the question…

DPD have a Full-time position for Van Driving, 40-48hrs a week but it doesn’t mention any hourly rate. Any idea’s of the hourly rate?

I have put in an application because I really hate my current job and just want to leave as soon as possible, I am thinking this would also be a good opportunity for me to get some delivery experience. I am currently on £8 an hour doing 42.5 hours a week so I dont want to be taking too much of a step backwards pay wise.

Answers on a postcard, thanks :smiley:

Have you called and asked them the rate :question:

Well the job is advertised through indeed so I don’t have a number, I wouldn’t have thought it will be pretty similar to what I’m currently on so I’m not too worried, I was just wondering if anyone on here knew

DPD paying hourly is a bit weird but in general they throw money at drivers. ODF’s get something like £2 a drop? And there’s a couple at Exeter who do 200 a day…

Although, I’d recommend someone like UPS. DPD will run you into the ground, especially on hourly wage. I used to drive for them via agency and quite often I’d be driving for 13 hours straight with no break (although at £10/hr I put up with it) cause they want to squeeze as many parcels out of your hourly wage as possible. Don’t go lower than a 2 minute drop time.

Edit:
If you can get on with DPD, you can do Class 2 multidrop with your eyes closed. I normally do local pallet multidrop, and it’s like being on a jolly (most days) compared to DPD, C&D is very useful and tbh a lot of companies will want at least some multidrop experience.

You can earn reasonable money at DPD but to do that you will need to be an self employed (basically a franchise), I think the rental on one of their Sprinters is about £400ish a month, got afew mates who do it and they are on about £1.20 a parcel, most days you will have 70 or so drops, the further from the depot your round is the more you will get per parcel. I had another friend who did 7.5t franchise work for them and he was taking home about £600 a week until he had a heart attack :unamused:

Well ODF is owner driver franchise, so you’re a franchisee. I think they have some company drivers on hourly rates, but idk how common they are - they might be drivers for the ODF’s. If there’s an offer for an hourly rate paid for by DPD itself and not an ODF, it’d be worth looking at but just be suspicious of everything managers say.

iomex:
DPD paying hourly is a bit weird but in general they throw money at drivers. ODF’s get something like £2 a drop? And there’s a couple at Exeter who do 200 a day…

Although, I’d recommend someone like UPS. DPD will run you into the ground, especially on hourly wage. I used to drive for them via agency and quite often I’d be driving for 13 hours straight with no break (although at £10/hr I put up with it) cause they want to squeeze as many parcels out of your hourly wage as possible. Don’t go lower than a 2 minute drop time.

Edit:
If you can get on with DPD, you can do Class 2 multidrop with your eyes closed. I normally do local pallet multidrop, and it’s like being on a jolly (most days) compared to DPD, C&D is very useful and tbh a lot of companies will want at least some multidrop experience.

we’ve got about 4 ex DPD drivers from the Exeter depot who got fed up with them and moved on to class 2 / 1 at Gardner. I’m ex TNT worked out the Broadclyst depot on multidrop & Parcelforce Marsh Barton for yrs before getting fed up and going class 1 over at Gardner. O/P as stated if you get on with van multidrop then HGV you should find a doddle. Best career move I ever made so glad to be away from parcels!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys.

I will be sure to ask about how the pay works if I get an interview.
The vacancy was directly with DPD and said it was a full time permanent position with between 40-48hrs a week.
I’m not worried if it’s hard work, just want to get a bit of experience on the road and get out of my current job.