DPD 7.5t Franchise

Hi,

Currently considering a 7.5 ton franchise with DPD. I have spoken to the Depot Manager looked at the figures etc and it seems to be fair with earnings after derv,leasing, maintenance etc of £28k. Just need to pay for accounts etc as well as register for VAT. They can supply fuel cards etc as well. So at first sight appears to be a pretty good deal.

It seems to me that it is set up to avoid having employees thus avoiding tax and NI contributions on their part, as well as holidays etc.
I was a sub postmaster for five years and the Post Office is set up very similar.

It is probably one of the few areas that is likely to continue to grow as we condem the High Street to Coffee Shops and buy everything online.

I have searched the forums and cannot find many comments from owner drivers about the scheme etc.

Does anyone on here have any experience of these franchises or know someone who operates themselves?

I would appreciate anything helpful as there isn’t much work in North Wales.

Many thanks

iw1961:
earnings after derv,leasing, maintenance etc of £28k.Does anyone on here have any experience of these franchises or know someone who operates themselves?

How many hours/weeks is that £28k based on? Is it based over 48 weeks (so you can get 4 weeks holiday) or is it based over 52 weeks (if so 4 weeks off will knock a massive chunk off that). If it’s based over 52 weeks are they expecting you to get another driver in to cover when you want time off?

I don’t have any direct experience of DPD but I did do some agency work shunting trailers around the yard at one of their depots and to be honest it does very much seem like an “employee by another name” scenario. Certainly (at that time, which was a few years back now) the van franchisees had no say at all in what they did, they had to ask special permission if they wanted to take their van home at a weekend, for example.

Paul

iw1961:
Hi,

Currently considering a 7.5 ton franchise with DPD.

Hi iw1961,

Following on from Paul’s comments above, I have a couple of questions that you might ask…

To cover your own interests, have your discussed whether you have to arrange to obtain your own operator’s licence, and who will be your nominated Transport Manager?