Downton pay and conditions

Hi does anyone know how much Downton drivers are paid for working there 4 on 4 off shift pattern and what are they like to work for ?
Thanks in advance. :smiley:

I don’t know about 4 on 4 off but normal rates were £8 an hour Monday to Friday straight through £10.50 an hour straight through sat and sun and they take an hour a day off you for your break.
I left in November but don’t think stuff has changed,
It all depends which depot you work at as to how your treated.
Is getting really big now and rules and policy’s may not suit every driver

We had one in our place moaning it’s £103 per shift plus n/o money and you will be doing 15 hr days. if it’s downton London ie old C&H it’s hourly paid mainly walking floors

chester1:
We had one in our place moaning it’s £103 per shift plus n/o money and you will be doing 15 hr days. if it’s downton London ie old C&H it’s hourly paid mainly walking floors

That’s for the lads that do the rolling week and it’s supposed to be based on a 12hr day but the drivers just let the office plan them on 15 hr and say nothing.

chester1:

:open_mouth:

I’d have been walking, not moaning. £7 hour with no overtime. Madness.

yorkshire terrier:

chester1:

That’s for the lads that do the rolling week and it’s supposed to be based on a 12hr day but the drivers just let the office plan them on 15 hr and say nothing.

He def said 4 on 4 off . He reckond he was quitting that week

chester1:
We had one in our place moaning it’s £103 per shift plus n/o money and you will be doing 15 hr days.

Look at it this way. Most industries pay over time after 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week. If you were paid £6 per hour with time and half after 8 hours then a 15 hour day minus your 45 minute break work equate to £104.25. A quid and a bit more than Downton are offering.

If you factor this in you’re on less than the NMW. The phrase shafted with the thick end of a rag man’s trumpet springs to mind.

Terry T:

chester1:
We had one in our place moaning it’s £103 per shift plus n/o money and you will be doing 15 hr days.

Look at it this way. Most industries pay over time after 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week. If you were paid £6 per hour with time and half after 8 hours then a 15 hour day minus your 45 minute break work equate to £104.25. A quid and a bit more than Downton are offering.

If you factor this in you’re on less than the NMW. The phrase shafted with the thick end of a rag man’s trumpet springs to mind.

103 decided by 15 is 6.86 that’s 55 pence per hour above minimum wage

Read what I wrote again.

My advice to anyone is if you get chance of a job at downton only take it if you are on hourly pay or else you lose out big time…

Terry T:
Read what I wrote again.

It’s not a matter of reading what you wrote Downtons don’t pay an overtime rate so if it’s a 15 hour day it’s 6.86 . And the op specifically asked about downton

chester1:
Downtons don’t pay an overtime rate

Is the point I’m trying to make. They should, most other industries do. We’re unfortunate enough to be in one of those industries that have let themselves sleepwalk into working for right through rates which, when scrutinised, are pretty shocking.

Too many drivers are blinded by the top line. £103 a shift is £515 per week. Now £515 sounds like a lot and is far more than what most drivers could hope to earn if they didn’t drive lorries. But they fail to factor in what they have to do for said £515. Bosses have cottoned on to this and it has now become worryingly familiar for companies to offer pathetic rates like this and to have no problems getting bums on seats.

One of my FB friends works for them, I never see any complaints from him.

I used to work there even on hourly pay it’s £8 an hour and that is straight through.
The £103 fixed shift rate for the 4 on 4 off and rolling week is based on drivers working no more than 12 hr so if the driver is foolish enough to do a 15 that’s his daft fault…if he does 12 hrs it’s £8.58 an hour…
I agree that both may not suit everyone but there is worse out there

Pat Hasler:
One of my FB friends works for them, I never see any complaints from him.

So somebody you know from FB as opposed to personally doesn’t complain about Downtons? Let’s all go to Downtons then with such a fantastic recommendation! :wink: