downloading

When i try and download an application form from a .GOV website i get directed to microsoft office 2010, they want £80 to purchase a new version and i`m not paying that. Is there anyway i can get a different free version that will open files of this type, or what can i do ?

truckyboy:
When i try and download an application form from a .GOV website i get directed to microsoft office 2010, they want £80 to purchase a new version and i`m not paying that. Is there anyway i can get a different free version that will open files of this type, or what can i do ?

What file type is it ?

If it’s one of the following file types you should be able to open it with LibreOffice

.doc .docx .xls .xlsx .ppt .pps .pptx

You’ll need to save the file to your computer before opening it.

theres also

openoffice.org/ - which is also free and does the same as microsuck office does.

keyholder:
theres also

openoffice.org/ - which is also free and does the same as microsuck office does.

LibreOffice and OpenOffice started out in life as one and the same, apparently some of the OpenOffice development team broke away to speed up development of the program, they called it LibreOffice and apparently it’s being developed faster than OpenOffice.

I don’t normally use either of them so I’ve no idea exactly what the differences are though.

tachograph:

keyholder:
theres also

LibreOffice and OpenOffice started out in life as one and the same, apparently some of the OpenOffice development team broke away to speed up development of the program, they called it LibreOffice and apparently it’s being developed faster than OpenOffice.

I don’t normally use either of them so I’ve no idea exactly what the differences are though.

They are both based on the openoffice coding so are pretty much both the same, its just the original crew have now gone from openoffice to libreoffice so more and regular updates will come to libre

Openoffice was then offshored to apache, so its now under their control.

however due to the creators now being the new face of libreoffice, id say libreoffice is the way to go, + whatever apache openoffice creates can be put into libre office due to license agreements but not the other way round.

So bottom line is libre office has the upper hand and can pick and choose which features it likes from apache openoffice

There is also MS office starter that does very basic stuff that’s still free with a tidgy box showing adverts in. Doesn’t let you do complex stuff but then in reality who really does. I used to have a pc repair business and it was easier to put this on for people who would rather stay with MS than learn OpenOffice etc. not that there is much difference really just people wanted MS