Downloading Digi cards and keeping logs?

Hello all,

I’ve been driving class 1 for around a month and a half now and was fresh to the industry the day I started. Basically what I’m asking is should my Boss download the info from my Digi card after 28 days and review it and do I need to keep paper logs of my hours? I’m on the books fulltime and asked him if he needed me to leave my card two Saturdays ago and got a simple “no” so don’t really want to ask again but I have read that the data needs to be downloaded before 28 days is up. Also do I need to keep any more records other than what’s on my card.?

Thankyou

Yes your boss should download your card every 28 days or sooner but you’ve done the right thing by making your card available, it’s upto your boss to keep records of your hours and you should really do the same just in case any discrepancies crop up, that’s what i do anyway.

Cheers bald bloke, so how exactly do you keep your own records matey? And can anything come back on me for not downloading my card before the 28 days was up?

All you can do is make your card available at least every 28 days if your boss doesn’t download it then that’s up to him.
I carry a diary where i keep records like trailer numbers, hours i’ve worked, places i’ve been but I don’t keep driving hours as i don’t get near my 90 hr fortnight limit.

Cheers pal I think I’ll start doing the same.

Do a daily print out and hang onto it.Your Boss shouldn`t need your card for more than 5 minutes before he hands it back to you :laughing:

To add to what bald bloke has said, if I worked for a company where they persistently refused to download the card I’d add to those written records the dates and times that I offered the card for download.

It will probably never be needed, but you never know it could be useful one day :wink:

For those who keep diaries, why do you do it?

You can get little Keyfobs that download your Digi to an SD card. I would consider getting one of them if my boss didn’t want to download the card. Id keep my own records just in case.

Muckaway:

Mainly to say I have been to certain places when asked and to keep a log of my hours to check my pay :wink:

I’d be a tiny bit concerned if my boss was not downloading the data from my digicard as required, especially if I had specifically offered my card for the purpose. I would be wondering what else he is not bothering to do and how much longer he is going to keep his O licence.

Muckaway:

so as i can prove were i was if there is a problem . like someone uses my truck when im on holiday and gets a speeding ticket . also wages nights out and expenses and what exchange rate i got for what currency . and other work related things

my digi card is downloaded every two weeks even when i was on a paper charts

I’ve never needed to keep a diary as I’m paid more hours than I work, although for trampers etc I can see the point. I use my phone callender to record days off incase someone misbehaves in my wagon however.

At Dhl I download my card before and after every shift , that’s at least 15 times a week inserting card which is why I need a new card every 6 months

Whirlwind:
At Dhl I download my card before and after every shift , that’s at least 15 times a week inserting card which is why I need a new card every 6 months

You sound like my Mrs at the cash machine :laughing: :laughing:

Whirlwind:

Doubt if that’s the reason - I also work for Drop it, Hide it, Lose it (but at my place we only have to download our cards once per day). My last card lasted the full 5 years with no problems and the current one is now over 2 years old. Among the 9 or so drivers at my depot, I’m only aware of one needing a replacement card before 5 years.

I keep diary of start finish times etc and found nice little site online, enter all your details and it keeps track of everything

mydrivinghours.co.uk/