Downhill start routine advice please

Hello all could someone please tell me the routine for a downhill start?

Is it pull up,Handbrake on,second gear,mirrors,footbrake,handbrake off then mirrors and blindspot then let foot off brake?

I have tried looking on the net but cannot find anything.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Thomas

montytom:
Hello all could someone please tell me the routine for a downhill start?

Is it pull up,Handbrake on,second gear,mirrors,footbrake,handbrake off then mirrors and blindspot then let foot off brake?

I have tried looking on the net but cannot find anything.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Thomas

Gear choice will depend how steep it is but you got it apart from … signal !!

Thankyou ROG I appreciate your help. I knew I’d forget something.
Thanks again Thomas

Yes like rog said don’t forget the signal and when you pull over, they will say in a safe place, make sure you are well away from any junctions :slight_smile:

Do your checks for gap, then signal and do checks again before you move! You need a decent gap as well to get all checks in. I remember mine, by time is done checks I had lost gap so had to cancel signal and start again!

1. Select gear
  2. Footbrake on
  3. Handbrake off
  4. Mirror checks
  5. Indicate
  6. Blind spot check
  7. Footbrake off and move away

That’s how I teach it.

Paul :smiley:

Same as any other move off. No need for the footbrake on, handbrake off etc. It’s the old way of doing it and its fine, just not needed anymore.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Same as any other move off. No need for the footbrake on, handbrake off etc. It’s the old way of doing it and its fine, just not needed anymore.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

IMO it’s sensible to show traffic coming from behind the brake lights whilst holding it on the footbrake considering your on a downhill.

Paul :smiley:

I don’t see what difference that makes whether uphill, downhill or anywhere else TBH.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I suggest he does what is asked by his instructor, as he knows the centre well where the test will be, I passed 24/7 and had 5 minors, non for the parking and starts, weather uphill or downhill. But the opinions are interesting, I personally looked for the gap, indicated, plenty of mirrors, brought the clutch to the bite, let me hand break off, and went on my way, weather uphill or downhill, my trainer also told me the blind spot isn’t required with the size and type of mirror I had, I did not do blind spot at all and passed at Canterbury LGV which only has 42% pass rate when looking at 2013/14 figures. Just my recent experience down here in Kent.

Its the exact same process that you used in your car on test pretty much

ash 001:
Its the exact same process that you used in your car on test pretty much

You were not even born, when I took MY car test! :unamused:

And due to my dementia, I can’t remember the rest of my point! :open_mouth:

LMAO are you sure its worth you getting your class one, you wont be able to even see by the time you pass :wink:

ash 001:
LMAO are you sure its worth you getting your class one, you wont be able to even see by the time you pass :wink:

It’s not a problem pal, I’ll just ziptie a white stick to the front grill, and I’ll be good to go! :grimacing:

Fair point they would probably allow that as well, because there so ■■■■■■■■ desperate lmao