Down Rating to 7.5 ton Whats involved?

Hi There.

A suggestion today by someone was instead of looking for a 7.5 ton tipper /grab why dont you buy a 10 ton and downrate to 7.5 ton so hgv licences wont be needed?

Most things about HGV lorrys are new to me and ive heard about uprating but not downrating?

S oif this is possible, can anyone tell me;

1; Is that correct about hgv licence not needed?

2; Whats involved? what do you have to change on the lorry mechanically■■?

3; Paperwork required by VOSA??

4; What about payload ? I take it we have to keep it in 7.5 tonnage payload carrying??

All replies gratefull!

Tricky Dicky

dont know much about downplating but i know you will lose 2.5 ton of your payload hence why you never hear of people downplating a tipper :open_mouth:

Tricky Dicky:

If the driver has ‘grandfarther’ rights on car licence then no but if they dont they will need a C1(7.5) to drive it (i think :confused: :smiley: ) on their licence.

I may be wrong somone bound to correct me :exclamation: :blush: :blush: :blush: :confused:

7.5t tipper or hiab you surely wont carry much with out breaching axle limits etc etc :question: :question:

down plating im guessing is just a paperwork exercise.
when up plating its normally bigger springs and stuff and then the paperwork.
the other thing is as the vehicle is still over 3500kg you will still need people with an older licence to drive em. people who have not long passed their test wont be able to because of the weight restriction.

dave:
dont know much about downplating but i know you will lose 2.5 ton of your payload hence why you never hear of people downplating a tipper :open_mouth:

Fairplay but have you seen the price of 10 ton tippers at the mo ,very very cheap and i suppose you will have a much stronger vehicle??

Tricky Dicky:
4; What about payload ? I take it we have to keep it in 7.5 tonnage payload carrying??

that will be the problem :wink: you’re right - if you download to 7.5t then that’s your new gross weight !!! a 10 tonne lorry will weigh more than a 7.5 tonne one as it will have heavier chassis, springs etc

pecjam23:

Tricky Dicky:

If the driver has ‘grandfarther’ rights on car licence then no but if they dont they will need a C1(7.5) to drive it (i think :confused: :smiley: ) on their licence.

I was told tat if you passed your car tesr after 1997, you need a Class 2 to drive a 7.5 tonne?

Tricky Dicky:

dave:

Fairplay but have you seen the price of 10 ton tippers at the mo ,very very cheap and i suppose you will have a much stronger vehicle??

yes but remember drivers will need cat C to drive a 10 t truck. C1 or grandfather rights wont cover it :smiley: :smiley:

C-Kay:

pecjam23:

Tricky Dicky:

I was told tat if you passed your car tesr after 1997, you need a Class 2 to drive a 7.5 tonne?

Or you can do a C1 test (7.5t) but really there’s not much point in doing this test rather than the C test as it is essentially the same but with a smaller vehicle. It’s mainly ambulance drivers and people wanting to do horseboxes that take these tests or occasionally someone who is over 18 and under 21.

C-Kay:

pecjam23:

Tricky Dicky:

not quite :wink: if you passed your car test after Jan 1st 1997 you need to do a test to get C1 added to your licence, it’s an identical test to C ( which was called Class 2 back in the dark ages but that is a term not used by dvla nowadays) hence a lot of people skip C1 and go straight to C (assuming they are at least 21 at the time)

Oh :blush:

Ignore me then :laughing: Cheers, now i know :sunglasses:

From 10 Sept this year the age for C (old class 2 or 3) will be 18 - the same as for C1 (7.5 tonner)

Tricky Dicky:
why dont you buy a 10 ton and downrate to 7.5 ton so hgv licences wont be needed?

IMO this is a very poor reason for buying a truck and then downrating .

If you take more than a mars bar and a packet of crisps for your snap, you will probably be overweight,
Payload would not be sufficient to justify downrating