Dover Truckstop parking charges

just reading new T&D, and was shocked to read the price the new Dover Truckstop will be charging for overnight parking, £20. Perhaps it’s just me, I know it’s a private enterprise trying to make a profit, and god knows we need more truckstops, but is that too expensive? I really cant see it improving the parking along the A2 and around Dover, most of the trucks in the laybys are foreign, eg non UK registered, and the reason they park there is they will not pay the charges in MSA’s in UK. Perhaps if they are forced out of the laybys then they will use this new facility? When I used Dover truckstop I never paid, getting my ticket validated because of customs clearance. It was a real blow when that closed, and there has been a real need ever since. I can only presume that they are limited on parking spaces so have to charge a premium, if it was too cheap it would fill up with east european hauliers quickly, who may not use the restaurant? For me it’s a shame, I would love to use it, and support a small business, but won’t pay that amount to park in UK (yes I know you get a meal voucher, but I eat on the boat). Obviously some firms will pay their drivers to park in secure parking for the load safety. It’s not a rant, just interested what people think.

Dieselcowboy:
just reading new T&D, and was shocked to read the price the new Dover Truckstop will be charging for overnight parking, £20. Perhaps it’s just me, I know it’s a private enterprise trying to make a profit, and god knows we need more truckstops, but is that too expensive? I really cant see it improving the parking along the A2 and around Dover, most of the trucks in the laybys are foreign, eg non UK registered, and the reason they park there is they will not pay the charges in MSA’s in UK. Perhaps if they are forced out of the laybys then they will use this new facility? When I used Dover truckstop I never paid, getting my ticket validated because of customs clearance. It was a real blow when that closed, and there has been a real need ever since. I can only presume that they are limited on parking spaces so have to charge a premium, if it was too cheap it would fill up with east european hauliers quickly, who may not use the restaurant? For me it’s a shame, I would love to use it, and support a small business, but won’t pay that amount to park in UK (yes I know you get a meal voucher, but I eat on the boat). Obviously some firms will pay their drivers to park in secure parking for the load safety. It’s not a rant, just interested what people think.

I have written about this subject many times before. If Kent Council and Dover Harbour Board want to expand the port to these levels then it should be compulsory to provide good clean free parking for freight drivers.

The same idea could be expanded, any company planning a new supermarket, warehouse development or industrial estate must include plentiful and secure parking, with toilet facilities in the proposals.

Maybe a drastic commercial decision should be made. Turn Dover Eastern Docks into a freight only port and use the saved car spaces for truck parking. They could reopen the Western Dock for seasonal holiday traffic or start a car only service from Folkstone or even Ramsgate.

It is ridiculous that Dover is the main artery into the UK for trucks and they have to park in a layby with their front wheel up the kerb to allow others past.

I know there is a massive area in Calais for parking but as recent events have shown, you have to keep an eyelid open all night for clandestines if you sleep there. If you have a JIT delivery and expect to be able to start from Calais to deliver in the UK it may mean allowing yourself up to 4 hours for the crossing.

As an aside. I have just received my 2009 secure parking guide from work. Among the places listed are Lincoln Farm, Londonderry Lodge and Lymm Truckstop. :open_mouth:

If you’d spent time in an Autohof, or any of the other fine Euro establishments, would you pay the insane prices these MSA’s are charging to park up? What does your 15 to 20 quid get you? A ■■■■■■■■■■■■, use of a loo, showers you’d not wash your dog in, and a voucher that doesn’t cover all the cost of that decaying “meal” that’s been under the heat lamps since last thursday…
The facilities for drivers in this country are abysmal, when I’m over here, I never pay to park up unless it’s a complete panic. So yes, I am one of those foreign plated wagons in a layby.

Wheel Nut:
As an aside. I have just received my 2009 secure parking guide from work. Among the places listed are Lincoln Farm, Londonderry Lodge and Lymm Truckstop. :open_mouth:

so anywhere starting with an ‘l’ is safe then malc? :laughing: