Dover Dunkirk ferry

Going to Germany in my car end of the month and wondering whether to use this route instead of Calais, is it a reliable service, is it quicker boarding and disembarkmemt and how much longer is the crossing etc?

Thanks.

Already rooting some German sort Saamon?

Saaamon:
Going to Germany in my car end of the month and wondering whether to use this route instead of Calais, is it a reliable service, is it quicker boarding and disembarkmemt and how much longer is the crossing etc?

Thanks.

I did this route last year couldn’t fault it really, it was about half hour longer than going to Calais but it would save you a little bit in driving time as you’ll be heading East. As for boarding no different i would say.

Haven’t been across for 3yrs, but I always went for( DFDS, I think it was) Dover/Dunkerque rather than P&O. The food was better and driver’s lounge was a lot more comfortable, they were all new and modern but I think P&O have put on some new ships since I was over last.

We always go DFDS to Dunkerque; crossing a bit longer than Dover/Calais, but it’s much easier to get out of the port because there’s only DFDS going to Dunkerque, whereas Calais has numerous ferry companies going in/out (including DFDS). The food is usually very good, and the staff are more helpful. Don’t know about the driver’s lounge, but it is definitely worthwhile going in the first class lounge if you are going by car, although there is a small surcharge. The only problem we have had in more than ten years as regards reliability is the one all ferry companies would have - bad weather causing delays - and we have only had that twice. Enjoy your trip.

xtruckerlady:
We always go DFDS to Dunkerque; crossing a bit longer than Dover/Calais, but it’s much easier to get out of the port because there’s only DFDS going to Dunkerque, whereas Calais has numerous ferry companies going in/out (including DFDS). The food is usually very good, and the staff are more helpful. Don’t know about the driver’s lounge, but it is definitely worthwhile going in the first class lounge if you are going by car, although there is a small surcharge. The only problem we have had in more than ten years as regards reliability is the one all ferry companies would have - bad weather causing delays - and we have only had that twice. Enjoy your trip.

Thats bang on.

The cross is 2hr 20 mins, the food in the driver’s restaurant has plummeted since they started giving it away for free.

My idea off a ferry is on and off as quick as possible as I hate them so I always use dov cal.

Used it 2 years ago when I drove to Bulgaria, it was cheaper than dover calais saved driving time as well. I thought the food was good and had a great crossing :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

jessicas dad:

xtruckerlady:

Thats bang on.

The cross is 2hr 20 mins, the food in the driver’s restaurant has plummeted since they started giving it away for free.

My idea off a ferry is on and off as quick as possible as I hate them so I always use dov cal.

2 hours

Do it right and a xing in the car can be as little as £11

xtruckerlady:

jessicas dad:

xtruckerlady:

Thats bang on.

2 hours

Must be a different crossing then because when I used it 4 times the other week it was 2hr 20 everytime.

jessicas dad:

xtruckerlady:

jessicas dad:

xtruckerlady:

Thats bang on.

2 hours

Must be a different crossing then because when I used it 4 times the other week it was 2hr 20 everytime.

It must be that cheap Argos watch you’ve got JD. :laughing: :laughing:

I got it free with my shell points.

Dfds advertise 2hr crossing for the dov dunk route but its more like 2hr 20 and dov cal route is meant to be an 1 1/2 but thats more like 1hr 45.

In calais they have a massive led board advertising dfds saying always on time and how reliable they are and then the linkspan is empty and ferry is late.

Shocking service.

jessicas dad:
I got it free with my shell points.

Dfds advertise 2hr crossing for the dov dunk route but its more like 2hr 20 and dov cal route is meant to be an 1 1/2 but thats more like 1hr 45.

In calais they have a massive led board advertising dfds saying always on time and how reliable they are and then the linkspan is empty and ferry is late.

Shocking service.

It’s usually because they turn the engines down to save fuel.

jessicas dad:

xtruckerlady:

Thats bang on.

Food Was only free till end of September ?

i use it every week and given the choice i would avoid like the plauge–never ever takes 2hrs always more getting off in dunkirk is a joke normally from boarding to getting on the motorway is 2.5hrs at least

Train every time

trubster:
Train every time

Hiya.train for me. tesco vouchers £40s worth ups 3 fold to £120. we add about a fiver that takes me
jill and the camper i think £50s worth of tesco pays for the return trip plus £40 quid for the dogs.
John

trubster:
Train every time

+1 the only way,done Paris at the weekend not a bad trip there & back, btw it seems nearly every European haulier has “flagged out” to Bulgaria,Italian,Dutch,Spanish & of course Nobby D how long before the green army “flag out”?

I use this route for my car trips and find it good.
I like that you can get a ferry either side of your booking for no extra charge.
Useful when returning from a 7 hour drive up thru France,effectively a 6 hour ‘window’ to
play with.

If you suffer from sea sickness like me, get the pills before.Some say have a proper meal before boarding then rest.
The middle of the ship at the lowest point is best.
Looking at the horizon helps too.
Avoid tea/coffee/fizzy drinks and booze.
The pills make driving after very drowsy.And dangerous to drive.
There was a Brittany Ferries vessel called The Duke of Normandy.That thing always made ill.Even on calm seas.