Dover Calais ferry crossing

In the rules it states that you can have two movements of upto 60 mins and you have to have a break total of 11 hrs min and that you must have access to a bunk or couch ? Then is there a minimum time that can be classed as a crossing as you know it’s more or less 2 1/2 hrs to cross at Dover .so my question is if driving in to Calais on 14 hrs duty time and after booking on the ferry etc etc you park on the quay side on 14hrs 45 mins book of and switch to ferry mode wait for 1hr then move on to ferry then 2 hr crossing then 1 movement off driving less than 60mins then a park up for over 8 hrs can this be legal I think not as you haven’t got access to a bunk except the one on your truck. I don’t do this as I always cross in my shift but its a question that keeps bounding around drivers and never ends up answered

When you get to the docks and have booked in, and leave card in but end shift when you move on to the ferry put tacho on to ferry mode and then when parked on ferry put back on rest,when you have to move of the ferry put tacho back in ferry mode and then park up for the rest of your daily rest, so if you put it on rest at say 9 pm and move on to ferry for 30 minutes and then moved of ferry for 30 minutes then your 11 hour rest would not finished till 9 am be for you could start the day again you are only allowed 1 hours total and on two movements the driver time as to be added to your weekly total.

i am sure someone will explain it a bit better

Thanks db that’s wat I do but I don’t book off because I cross in my shift but use of the ferry mode always I’m sure someone will add to this in wat counts as a mini
Mum ferry crossing :open_mouth:

Ajl65:
In the rules it states that you can have two movements of upto 60 mins and you have to have a break total of 11 hrs min and that you must have access to a bunk or couch ? Then is there a minimum time that can be classed as a crossing as you know it’s more or less 2 1/2 hrs to cross at Dover .so my question is if driving in to Calais on 14 hrs duty time and after booking on the ferry etc etc you park on the quay side on 14hrs 45 mins book of and switch to ferry mode wait for 1hr then move on to ferry then 2 hr crossing then 1 movement off driving less than 60mins then a park up for over 8 hrs can this be legal I think not as you haven’t got access to a bunk except the one on your truck. I don’t do this as I always cross in my shift but its a question that keeps bounding around drivers and never ends up answered

Hi Ajl65,

I think the reason that this is never answered is because people get themselves all confused by looking too deeply at little details, whilst forgetting the basics. :wink:

1.) A rest period must fit within the 24hr period that started when you commenced your shift.

2.) There are NO bunks or couchettes on a Dover - Calais ferry, and using your own bunk whilst on the ferry isn’t a legal option.

Ajl65:
Thanks db that’s wat I do but I don’t book off because I cross in my shift but use of the ferry mode always

If you are crossing during your shift and not interrupting your daily rest why would you use the ferry option? There is no such thing as ferry mode, the modes on a tacho are only Driving, Other Work, POA and Rest/Break. The ferry/train option in the menu is simply to mark the data with the reason why you are interrupting your daily rest period, the electronic equivalent of a pen writing on the back of a chart.

Ajl65:
I’m sure someone will add to this in wat counts as a mini
Mum ferry crossing :open_mouth:

There is no minimum time specified in the regulations so there isn’t one. All you need is access to a bunk or couchette so if you got that on The Woolwich Ferry it would count.

Coffeeholic:
There is no minimum time specified in the regulations so there isn’t one. All you need is access to a bunk or couchette so if you got that on The Woolwich Ferry it would count.

Full daily rest ferry option used on woolwich ferry … I wonder if that has ever happened ?

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

Full daily rest ferry option used on woolwich ferry … I wonder if that has ever happened ?

I have see trucks parked it there car park for hours when if was foggy once, so i would think its possible

Just practising posting photos .

Yeah , think I may have got that one sorted …… and moving on.

Bit disappointed with the size of the pic though .

That’s a few years ago. Those TT boats would be half way across the lanes today.

On a desktop click on the photo once to enlarge it a bit then look underneath and click on blue “original image” that makes it bigger than the screen on mine.