Double (not multi) manning and recording breaks

This has bugged me for a while = SAD :unamused: :laughing:

How does driver 2 record breaks in this senario?

Driver 1 starts at 0500 and finishes at 1800
Driver 2 starts at 0600 and finishes at 1900

Both drivers are together from 0600 to 1800

The both book the first 45 mins of POA as break when card in slot 2 of the digi

The original plan was for driver 2 to finish at 1800 but on return to the yard that driver was needed to drive another vehicle for a very short run

Am I right in saying that driver 2 now has no breaks because the multi manning rules do not now apply ?

If so what can driver 2 do ?

My thought is that the driver could do a print out and change some of the POA to break but is that ok?

If both drivers were double manned for most of the day but not under multi manning rules then how are breaks recorded in a moving vehicle?

I would say driver 2 could work until 2100 IF they have a 15 hour day and sufficient driving time available to them.

ROG:
This has bugged me for a while = SAD :unamused: :laughing:

The both book the first 45 mins of POA as break when card in slot 2 of the digi

If both drivers were double manned for most of the day but not under multi manning rules then how are breaks recorded in a moving vehicle?

Is the answer in the question?

Well I’ve only just realised this but after reading the EU guide No2 to (EC) 561/2006 it appears that there’s no reason to worry about it as the first 45 minutes of POA will still count as break.

Although GV262 mentions multi-manning for this situation the EU guide doesn’t so I would assume that the first 45 minutes of POA would count as break regardless of whether or not the drivers could take advantage of the other multi-manning concesions.

The third is where a vehicle is manned by more than one driver. When a second crew member
is available for driving when necessary, is sitting next to the driver of the vehicle and is not
actively involved in assisting the driver driving the vehicle, a period of 45 minutes of that
crew member’s ‘period of availability’ can be regarded as ‘break’.

According to the legislation the scenario at the top of the page cannot happen due to this snippet within the multimanning rules.

For the first hour of multi-manning the
presence of another driver or drivers is optional but for
the remainder of the period it is compulsory;

The term Double Manning no longer exists as you may have 3 drivers available for driving.

i would say it depends on when the 2nd driver drove and how long, just cos there card is in slot 2 does not mean there on break cos why would there, there as not drove yet. the first part of there shift is POA and no part of that POA can be used as break

Wheel Nut:
According to the legislation the scenario at the top of the page cannot happen due to this snippet within the multimanning rules.

The term Double Manning no longer exists as you may have 3 drivers available for driving.

In the scenario ROG has given the first driver would be multi-manning to the definition given in (EC) 561/2006 but the second driver wouldn’t.

I think that’s what ROG meant in the title :wink:

tachograph:

Wheel Nut:

In the scenario ROG has given the first driver would be multi-manning to the definition given in (EC) 561/2006 but the second driver wouldn’t.

I think that’s what ROG meant in the title :wink:

Correct - I had to think about the wording carefully

I was under the IMPRESSION from the way it was worded that POA would only automatically count as break if under multi manning rules and in the senario driver 2 would be deemed as not to have any breaks but if the first 45 of POA is counted as break if the card is in slot 2 of the digi no matter what then that would sort out the problem