Double manning

Hi guys
Can anyone clarify the rules on double manning - What I was told was that once you start a shift as double manned, then you had to end the shift as double manned. My query is because a colleague recently got back from a double manned run, and was then asked to do another (local) run, normally we do, take a truck for service or pick one up - that sort of thing, short job. This colleague actually ended up doing a 4 hour single manned job after an 11 hours double manned - bang on a 15 hour spreadover but ■■?

What are your thoughts guys ?

Decca591

decca591:
Hi guys
Can anyone clarify the rules on double manning - What I was told was that once you start a shift as double manned, then you had to end the shift as double manned. My query is because a colleague recently got back from a double manned run, and was then asked to do another (local) run, normally we do, take a truck for service or pick one up - that sort of thing, short job. This colleague actually ended up doing a 4 hour single manned job after an 11 hours double manned - bang on a 15 hour spreadover but ■■?

Decca591

The first hour of multi-manning can be done without two drivers, but after that there must be at-least 2 drivers in the vehicle during each driving period.

Therefore the driver who continued the shift and did more driving on his own could not claim the multi-manning concession on daily rest.

As he appears to have finished his shift in 15 hours and cannot take advantage of the daily rest concession for multi-manning, he has had a reduced daily rest period.

decca591:
Hi guys

Decca591

If driver 1 was with driver 2 for the duration of their shift apart from maybe the 1st hour then driver 1 can be under MM rules

If driver 2 was with driver 1 for most of the shift then went on to drive alone they are under single rules for the entire shift

Ok guys, 2 questions here - the first is another dbl manned question first :

Can a dbl manned crew legally reduce a daily rest period to 8 hrs ? - if so what are the parameters. This comes about as our crew got caught out in traffic following several accidents, when I looked at hours I said they need to start half hours later (at least) as they wouldn’t have had a 9 hours rest, the response was that they were under the impression that they were able to reduce to 8 hours, once a week and still be legal - any one shed any light on this and if it is legal - where will I find the supporting evidence ?

Second question a bit simpler - I no longer go out, spending my time dossing (according to my ex driver colleagues) around the yard, we only have 10 units, half of which need moving to our other yard - 200yds max on highway then back in second gate, plus to or from servicing, local garage, no more than 4 miles away - Drivers complain about getting “driving without card” messages and say I should be using my card every time I move a vehicle, I am under the impression that I do not need to because of the nature of work I am doing and times and distances involved - I bow to your knowledge guys and look forward to your feedback !

Decca.

9 hours is the minimum in 30 hours - see either 561/2006 or GV262-03

I cannot find an exemption for the second Q - perhaps others can …

1. I’m pretty sure 8 hours rest is the old rule. It’s now 9 off.
  2. If on public road, I’m going to say card should be in.

decca591:
Ok guys, 2 questions here - the first is another dbl manned question first :

Can a dbl manned crew legally reduce a daily rest period to 8 hrs ? - if so what are the parameters. This comes about as our crew got caught out in traffic following several accidents, when I looked at hours I said they need to start half hours later (at least) as they wouldn’t have had a 9 hours rest, the response was that they were under the impression that they were able to reduce to 8 hours, once a week and still be legal - any one shed any light on this and if it is legal - where will I find the supporting evidence ?

They cannot legally have a daily rest period of less than 9 hours, the 8 hour thing went out years ago.

decca591:
Second question a bit simpler - I no longer go out, spending my time dossing (according to my ex driver colleagues) around the yard, we only have 10 units, half of which need moving to our other yard - 200yds max on highway then back in second gate, plus to or from servicing, local garage, no more than 4 miles away - Drivers complain about getting “driving without card” messages and say I should be using my card every time I move a vehicle, I am under the impression that I do not need to because of the nature of work I am doing and times and distances involved - I bow to your knowledge guys and look forward to your feedback !

I assume these vehicles are used for work that’s in-scope of EU regulations and not domestic regulations, in which case you should be using your driver card every time you take one of the vehicles onto public roads.

The “Driving without card” is nothing for the drivers to worry about, all they have to do is press “OK” to get rid of the message, but legally even a trip of 200 yards requires you to use your driver card, though I’m not sure how many people would :wink:

Hi Guys

Another hopefully quick question !!

If a double manned crew get back from a run and the unit needs to go to a local garage for servicing etc, and are asked to take the unit in, can one take the unit and the other pick him up in another company vehicle -or are the rules strictly that they must both remain together until end of shift ?

What are your thoughts on this one guys ?

Decca.

decca591:
Hi Guys

Another hopefully quick question !!

If a double manned crew get back from a run and the unit needs to go to a local garage for servicing etc, and are asked to take the unit in, can one take the unit and the other pick him up in another company vehicle -or are the rules strictly that they must both remain together until end of shift ?

What are your thoughts on this one guys ?

Decca.

Apart from the first hour there must be at-least two drivers in the vehicle during each period of driving, so the answer is that if you want/need to take advantage of the daily rest concession for multi-manning the drivers could not legally go in different vehicles to deliver the unit at the end of the shift.