Double manning

I know its the norm for at least the driver to sleep in the cab but is it common practice for the second driver to sleep in the trailer if driver 1 is possessive about his truck at night.

The reason for the question is on Monday I shall be heading to France double manning for a local firm and they phoned me earlier today to say that the other guy is as stated above :astonished: :astonished:

So what is the normal run of the mill when double manning folks :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

No it is not the norm ,if double manning if you can not get on with him, don,t even go.
Wheres ter garn in France mara
klunk

I’d be fully accepting of the fact, just drop me off at the nearest motel with the company credit card and pick me up in 9 hours.

How many bunks are in the cab? If it’s only 1 then the motel is the answer as they can’t legally make you sleep in the trailer.

klunk/■■■■■■■■
No it is not the norm ,if double manning if you can not get on with him, don,t even go.
Wheres ter garn in France mara
klunk

Double manning is like being married, except you don’t get to cuddle the driver unless you want to. It normally ends in tears with two men in a cab.

When we were double manning the car transporters, we used to sleep in the back, but only because there was more room and the ramps make a good bed

milodon:
I’d be fully accepting of the fact, just drop me off at the nearest motel with the company credit card and pick me up in 9 hours.

^ this. :smiley:

Were going to somewhere between Piotiers and Limoges. There might be a back load to pick up in Normandy on Thursday with the ferry Thursday night/ Friday.

I’m not too put off about sleeping in the trailer as it will be my first paid C+E job so I’m looking to gain some experience from the trip. I have driven on the continent before but not something the size of a Renault Magnum, kid in a sweet shop springs to mind. Done a lot of camping in the past so it should be OK for a couple of nights.

I’m told that a cabin has been booked for the outward and return trips so its just a couple of nights in France in a trailer of furniture for a house move. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Load the sofa or bed last

Bon route…

and hopefully into LE FIEF AUX MOINES in Saumur for mange :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You are in luck. There is Centre Routier at Poiters with a budget hotel attached off J29 (A10) if my memory serves me right as well as an AS24 Bunker.
Not sure on the hotel rates as I have never used it

Cheers guys, I’ll have a look on the web to find out more info.

If anyone has any hints or tips on a truckers life in France then I would like to here them.

I spend most my time in France, don’t worry about where you park at services, as long as your not obstructing any thing just park where you can for free, showers are a couple of euros, you leave your keys at the cash desk till you take shower key back. If driving round Paris don’t bother blowing your horn at the suicidal drivers cause its just the normal way and they won’t have a clue what your bibbing at. First thing you do when you pull up at delivery or loading point is shake hands and say bonjour. You can usually park near the big supermarkets to get shopping if you cook. Breath in at the toll booths as some are a bit tight and that truck you have just spent 10 minutes getting past will go through the 30kph lane and you have to do it all again. I much prefer it to driving in the uk it’s more easy going. Make sure you are 100% legal and have all your docs in the truck. Only ever asked for cmr then waved on. And most important GET ON THE CORRECT BUS.

GET ON THE CORRECT BUS, I’ve heard a lot of this. To a complete novis what is it all about. I figure its to do with the ferry but some clarification as to what happens would be good please :blush: :blush:

As far as I’ve been told were not going through Paris rather skirting round it/ past it all together.

russell2587 cheers for the info.

It’s for the tunnel, you park truck on train then wait on platform for bus to take you to the VIP restaurant car, there are 2 buses, make sure you leave by the door you entered the carriage and get on bus waiting.

Just thought of another thing, if you stop to go to toilet and the gents is out of order for cleaning or whatever just use the ladies, it’s a bit strange at first but it’s what everyone does, this also works the other way so if you see the ladies is closed be careful what your waving around as you could come face to face with a little girl, and that would take some explaining lol.

Hold on your seriously considering sleeping in the trailer?

{zb} nearest hotel on the company please

As you have a cabin booked i assume your going from Pompey, do not believe all you hear on the boat, listen and then after a while you will learn to seperate the truth from the ■■■■■■■■ :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

oh yeah 2 words i was told when i did my first trip aqnd i`ve never forgot = FLIP FLOPS like the advert said “never leave home without them” :smiley: :smiley:

Sat in valence waiting to be loaded, just shorts and flip flops on, no ones giving me grief about it.

On removals it is quite common for the porter to sleep in the back. As above, make sure bed or sofa goes on last!

russell2587:
Sat in valence waiting to be loaded, just shorts and flip flops on, no ones giving me grief about it.

Why would you get any grief about shorts + flip flops?

I bet its a tad on the warm side in Valence today? :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: