Double manning

Hi all,

I’ve got some double manning coming up for a run to Europe, I’ve done double manning before but was a few years ago, can anyone give me an update or refer to an earlier topic (I’m sure it’s probably on here somewhere) re daily hours, rest etc. Just looking for a general guide to refresh my ever poorer memory.

Nine hours rest in 30 hours, leaving you a duty time of 21 hours, the 9 hours does not count as a reduced daily rest. Remember to swap charts/cards at each driver change. As the second man position will only record POA while the vehicle is in motion the first 45 minutes of that POA is assumed to be break. Second driver must be present for all but the first hour.

All the other rules are the same as single manning.

Thank you for that, much appreciated. But the 9hr rest is not a reduced rest? If we away 4 nights, we can take the first 3 with 9hrs rest, then the last night will have to be 11hrs, is that correct? Thanks.

londontruck:
Thank you for that, much appreciated. But the 9hr rest is not a reduced rest? If we away 4 nights, we can take the first 3 with 9hrs rest, then the last night will have to be 11hrs, is that correct? Thanks.

No when you are double manning you can have 9 hours every night, but you have to stick to the 10 hours driving limit, 2x10 in a week

londontruck:

No need for 11 when multi manning, the only daily rest requirement is 9 off in 30.

Thanks, but just curious… when I download my card some weeks later, how does it know I have been double-manning? Because I have showed poa/rest for all other times? If I showed 9hr rests at all times (say 4 or 5 times in a week) how would it know the difference between single manning & double manning and not give me an infringement? Thanks.

londontruck:
Thanks, but just curious… when I download my card some weeks later, how does it know I have been double-manning? Because I have showed poa/rest for all other times? If I showed 9hr rests at all times (say 4 or 5 times in a week) how would it know the difference between single manning & double manning and not give me an infringement? Thanks.

The fact your card has been in slot 2, and therefore multi-manning, is marked on the data. If you take a printout you will see two circles, like an 8 on it’s side, showing the time the card was in slot 2.