double Manning

Hi to the one that no’s from the one that leaning

how many full double maned runs could you do legally in a week with regard to EU driver rules and WTD

lets say last week you drove for 45 hours solo and had a 45 off and the shift starts Mon and you both start at the depot

I was wondering about this as you are only allowed to do 15 hour work 3 time a week solo and was wondering if you are still under that rule on double manning cos on double manning you do 21 hours duty

cos IMO it would only be two

Del

This one doesn’t know but likes to try :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lets see if I got this…

Double manning can use a 30 hour shift period in which 21 of those hours can be used for driving & other work.

The tacho and WTD rest regs apply.

Using a 3 hour period during the day as a 3 hour rest would mean no reduction in daily rest periods.

So, is the answer - how many 30 hour shifts can be done in one week :question: :question:

ROG:
This one doesn’t know but likes to try :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Lets see if I got this…

Double manning can use a 30 hour shift period in which 21 of those hours can be used for driving & other work.

The tacho and WTD rest regs apply.

Using a 3 hour period during the day as a 3 hour rest would mean no reduction in daily rest periods.

So, is the answer - how many 30 hour shifts can be done in one week :question: :question:

yes Rog how many can you do

21 hours work and 9 hours rest

good one hey :laughing:

Del

delboytwo:

how many full double maned runs could you do legally in a week with regard to EU driver rules and WTD

lets say last week you drove for 45 hours solo and had a 45 off and the shift starts Mon and you both start at the depot

I was wondering about this as you are only allowed to do 15 hour work 3 time a week solo and was wondering if you are still under that rule on double manning cos on double manning you do 21 hours duty

Del

When multi-manning the reduced daily rest (15 hour spread-over) doesn’t really enter into the equation as you can legally do a 30 hour spread-over anyway :wink:

You must start a weekly rest period no later than 6 x 24 hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period so I would say you could legally do 4 x 30 hour spread-overs.

Example:

Start Monday
06:00 Monday to 12:00 Tuesday = 30 hours including a 9 hour daily rest.
12:00 Tuesday to 18:00 Wednesday = 30 hours including a 9 hour daily rest.
18:00 Wednesday to 24:00 Thursday = 30 hours including a 9 hour daily rest.
24:00 Thursday to 06:00 Saturday = 30 hours including a 9 hour daily rest.

As you would need to start a weekly rest period by 06:00 Sunday that seems to be the maximum you could do, there would be nothing to stop you from multi-manning from 06:00 Saturday until 06:00 Sunday but then you would need to start a weekly rest period or a reduced weekly rest period.

Having said that I would have thought it a little unlikely that you would normally maximise your hours to the extent that you would do the full 30 hour spread-over on 4 consecutive shifts but perhaps not impossible.

tachograph:

delboytwo:

Del

When multi-manning the reduced daily rest (15 hour spread-over) doesn’t really enter into the equation as you can legally do a 30 hour spread-over anyway :wink:

You must start a weekly rest period no later than 6 x 24 hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period so I would say you could legally do 4 x 30 hour spread-overs.

Example:

Start Monday
06:00 Monday to 12:00 Tuesday = 30 hours
12:00 Tuesday to 18:00 Wednesday = 30 hours
18:00 Wednesday to 24:00 Thursday = 30 hours
24:00 Thursday to 06:00 Saturday = 30 hours

As you would need to start a weekly rest period by 06:00 Sunday that seems to be the maximum you could do, there would be nothing to stop you from multi-manning from 06:00 Saturday until 06:00 Sunday but then you would need to start a weekly rest period or a reduced weekly rest period.

Having said that I would have thought it a little unlikely that you would normally maximise your hours to the extent that you would do the full 30 hour spread-over on 4 consecutive shifts.

Hi tachograph

good point but lest say you run to Italy for a load there and back all the time and you use all you hour to the max can you still do 4 and what about WTD would that be affected over the 17 week rule hope you get what i mean

Del

delboytwo:
good point but lest say you run to Italy for a load there and back all the time and you use all you hour to the max can you still do 4 and what about WTD would that be affected over the 17 week rule hope you get what i mean

Del

How many hours of other work & driving would be done in the week :question:

Once you have the answer to that, then you will know the answer.

ROG:

delboytwo:

Del

How many hours of other work & driving would be done in the week :question:

Once you have the answer to that, then you will know the answer.

Rog my driving is not the isusse it the WTD if you loook at
Tachographs example the driivers would have done 84 hours duty and wtd i am trying to get to is if you drive as D/M all the time how may shifts could be done in a week to meet you WTD would it be 2 shifts are 42 hours 3 shifts are 63 hours

Del

I think there are 3 important things here.

Vehicles manned by two or more drivers are governed by the
same rules that apply to single-manned vehicles, apart from the daily rest requirements.

The maximum driving for a two-man crew taking advantage of
this concession is 20 hours before a daily rest is required (although only if both drivers are entitled to drive 10 hours).

But :wink:

Under multi-manning, the ‘second’ driver in a crew may not
necessarily be the same driver for the duration of the first driver’s shift but could in principle be any number of drivers as long as the
conditions are met. Whether these second drivers could claim the multi-manning concession in these circumstances would depend on their other duties.

However.

Weekly rest periods
A driver must start a weekly rest period no later than at
the end of six consecutive 24-hour periods from
the end of the last weekly rest period.

So does that mean after 144 hours you must begin a weekly rest?

delboytwo:
Hi tachograph

Del

As a second or third driver you would most likely be on POA or break most of the time so I doubt the 48 hour week would be too much of a problem.

As for the run you mention I think there are too many variables to be considered for an accurate answer.
Remember that you can still only increase your driving time to 10 hours twice a week, so with 2 drivers you would only be doing a maximum total of 18 hours driving for 2 of the shifts, you would also be subject to ferry/train times ec’t so I wouldn’t have thought it very likely that you could fully maximise the multi-manning hours to a 30 hour spread-over 4 times, but I guess with good planning and plenty of luck it may still be possible to take good advantage of the multi-manning regulations.

I take it this is an academic exercise or are you planning some trips ?

Wheel Nut:

Weekly rest periods
A driver must start a weekly rest period no later than at
the end of six consecutive 24-hour periods from
the end of the last weekly rest period.

So does that mean after 144 hours you must begin a weekly rest?

Yes if you start at 06:00 Monday you should start a weekly rest period no later than 06:00 the following Sunday.

tachograph:

delboytwo:
Hi tachograph

Del

As a second or third driver you would most likely be on POA or break most of the time so I doubt the 48 hour week would be too much of a problem.

As for the run you mention I think there are too many variables to be considered for an accurate answer.
Remember that you can still only increase your driving time to 10 hours twice a week, so with 2 drivers you would only be doing a maximum total of 18 hours driving for 2 of the shifts, you would also be subject to ferry/train times ec’t so I wouldn’t have thought it very likely that you could fully maximise the multi-manning hours to a 30 hour spread-over 4 times, but I guess with good planning and plenty of luck it may still be possible to take good advantage of the multi-manning regulations.

I take it this is an academic exercise or are you planning some trips ?

hi Tachograph

its academic exercise you see what its i was asked the question in an interview for a job (the job was for removals drivers running to and from euro)

how many double maned shifts can be completed in a week to meet working time regs over a 17 period and i said 2 i was wondering if i was right was never told if i was hope this clarifies my original post sorry for the confusion

Del

delboytwo:
hi Tachograph

its academic exercise you see what its i was asked the question in an interview for a job (the job was for removals drivers running to and from euro)

how many double maned shifts can be completed in a week to meet working time regs over a 17 period and i said 2 i was wondering if i was right was never told if i was hope this clarifies my original post sorry for the confusion

Del

Well I guess the correct answer would be that it depends on the length of the shifts and how many hours were spent on POA or break :wink:

No confusion m8 I was just curious about the reason for the question, I thought maybe someone had too much spare time on their hands :laughing:

tachograph:

delboytwo:
hi Tachograph

Del

Well I guess the correct answer would be that it depends on the length of the shifts and how many hours were spent on POA or break :wink:

No confusion m8 I was just curious about the reason for the question, I thought maybe someone had too much spare time on their hands :laughing:

i have a lot off time cos not working :frowning: getting fed up a bit :frowning: to this site and all the members make the day go quick if you no what i mean :wink:

Example:
Start Monday

Using the above example to calculate a rough idea of WTD hours -

One driver can be on rest or POA (neither count for WTD) whilst the other is driving

Each driver will do 2 X 10 hour driving days and 2 X 9 hour driving days
= 38 hours of driving time for each driver over the 4 shifts.

That means that out of a 21 hour shift, 19 of those hours are driving leaving 2 hours max for other work if necessary.

Assuming that those spare 2 hours are used each day for each driver as other work then that would be 8 hours for each driver for the WTD week over the 4 shifts.

38 + 8 = 46 hours
2 hours under the average 48 hour WTD week :slight_smile:

Is that what you were trying to calculate :question:

ROG:

Example:
Start Monday

Using the above example to calculate a rough idea of WTD hours -

One driver can be on rest or POA (neither count for WTD) whilst the other is driving

Each driver will do 2 X 10 hour driving days and 2 X 9 hour driving days
= 38 hours of driving time for each driver over the 4 shifts.

That means that out of a 21 hour shift, 19 of those hours are driving leaving 2 hours max for other work if necessary.

Assuming that those spare 2 hours are used each day for each driver as other work then that would be 8 hours for each driver for the WTD week over the 4 shifts.

38 + 8 = 46 hours
2 hours under the average 48 hour WTD week :slight_smile:

Is that what you were trying to calculate :question:

yes Rog

thanks

del