Double Manning

Hi all,
Been a long time since I’ve posted on here :open_mouth: But I have a question for the experts and the only place you’ll get expert advice regarding transport is here. :sunglasses:

So here goes:-
I have never double manned before but for the next 2 weeks 6 trucks are going from Southampton docks to Hull with wide loads,So we can get back every night each truck will have 2 drivers.Last night in the yard 12 drivers were all putting in there idea on what the legallities of double manning are?!?!?!?!

I would like ao know the law regarding breaks on the move?
What about a 1/2 hour break after 6 hours working?
Daily rest periods?
Any other advice as we would like to take advantage of 2 drivers and get back to Southampton everyday asap but stay 100% legal.

Also best place for breakfast in Hull■■? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks,
Adam

duty time 21 hours
driving as per regs
at C4 we do 3 drive 3 bunk
depending on loading and tip time
you shouldnt have no probs

it’s as Hitch says :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

here’s the rules

CLICKY

at 450 ks each way allowing for 6 hours driving
this trip should be an easy one
no need to worry about 6 hour duty cos yoou’ll be on the bunk
on first trip dont waste time stopping needlessly for coffee on changeover
leave that for next ones when you see how it pans out
all leaving at the same time my hold you up at tipping point

flub007:
Any other advice as we would like to take advantage of 2 drivers and get back to Southampton everyday asap but stay 100% legal.

Thanks,
Adam

Do it non-stop, apart from pulling over to change drivers.

About a thousand years ago, I used to run from Cobham on the A2 to Glasgow and back double-manned (coaches) - You couldn’t quite do it from Dover,

At the very start of the season, one direction was sometimes empty. The only reason we stopped was to let the punters have brekkie/dinner.

I thought the “spreadover” was 22 hours, not 21 - but that might have changed in the recent shake up of hours.

You say “over the next two weeks” … I think there’s a limit to how many 22/21 spreads you’re allowed to do on the trot/perweek/fortnight.

abnormal loads never get pulled by vosa. so keep your toe on it, burn your cards when you get back. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: it only becomes illegal if you get caught. :smiling_imp:
If you do get caught. the police will make you a breakfast. :laughing:

Here’s the conversation I had with my boss the last time I double-manned…

BOSS Do you know what the tacho rules are with two drivers?

ME I don’t even know what they are with one driver.

Thanks Guys I knew you’d help.

Much appreciated. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: