Double manning

I know the rules for double manning operations , 21 hours in a 30 hour etc etc, but can’t
find anything on the internet for double manned van operations (under 3.5tonne). Can anybody shed any light on this and possibly post a link to a site where it is explained

Thanks

Jason

jkm1973:
I know the rules for double manning operations , 21 hours in a 30 hour etc etc, but can’t
find anything on the internet for double manned van operations (under 3.5tonne). Can anybody shed any light on this and possibly post a link to a site where it is explained

Thanks

Jason

There are no rules for that

As I understand it if under 3.5 tonne-
No Tachograph
No Hours Restrictions on Driving etc
WTD ? Excuse me whilst I laugh.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Thought you could only drive a sprinter van for 10h or something like that and that’s only because me and a work mate had been in one most the day when the company tried to send us back out in a 7.5t truck and some lad in the office said we’d not have enough time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If under 3.5 ton then domestic driving rules apply but no record of driving hours are required to be kept in the UK so virtually unenforceable.

Indeed the domestic driving rules (10 hrs max) are pretty unenforceable, however, get involved in a serious accident and they will work out what you have been doing in the few days leading up to that accident, and if they can show that you have exceeded these rules then they will use it against you - and make no mistake of their ability to pin your movements down these days, Orwell massively underestimated the big brother society that we all find ourselves living in.

As to the question in the OP; I can’t see it mentioned in the rules so I would guess the 11 hours on duty spread over 16 would apply. Probably difficult to argue that sitting in the passenger seat is not being on duty. - I don’t know though.

JaxDemon:
Thought you could only drive a sprinter van for 10h or something like that and that’s only because me and a work mate had been in one most the day when the company tried to send us back out in a 7.5t truck and some lad in the office said we’d not have enough time.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That’s because you were employed to drive - although you weren’t on a tacho, you were still ‘working’. So driving the sprinter should be an entry addition to the tacho.

the driving of vans may look unenforceable but be aware that any information found in the vehicle such as delivery notes, fuel, toll, and ferry receipts backed up by time cards and wage payments do make up enough evidence to prosecute. the germans love these when the drivers get gobby,

jkm1973:

Thanks

Jason

In the latest online version of GV262 - the DVSA are now saying 9 hours Daily Rest for a double crewed Vehicle counts as one of the 3 reductions.

Bluey Circles:
Indeed the domestic driving rules (10 hrs max) are pretty unenforceable, however, get involved in a serious accident and they will work out what you have been doing in the few days leading up to that accident, and if they can show that you have exceeded these rules then they will use it against you - and make no mistake of their ability to pin your movements down these days, Orwell massively underestimated the big brother society that we all find ourselves living in.

As to the question in the OP; I can’t see it mentioned in the rules so I would guess the 11 hours on duty spread over 16 would apply. Probably difficult to argue that sitting in the passenger seat is not being on duty. - I don’t know though.

As there is no POA in Domestic Regs, sat in the passenger seat would generally qualify as OW.

Maigret:

jkm1973:

Thanks

Jason

In the latest online version of GV262 - the DVSA are now saying 9 hours Daily Rest for a double crewed Vehicle counts as one of the 3 reductions.

Does the concept of “reduced daily rest” even exist under Domestic Rules?

Thanks for all your responses, still don’t really have a clear answer, anybody else got anything to add

Van drivers can do 24 hours each day and twice a week do 30 hour days …

There is no provision for double manning in domestic regulations, the rules that cover vans if driven for more than 4 hours in the UK. The maximum amount of time you could work would be restricted by your shift time limit.

jkm1973:
Thanks for all your responses, still don’t really have a clear answer, anybody else got anything to add

You have had the answer mate, there are no rules specifically for multi-manning in the UK domestic regulations, it’s the same as a single manned journey.

Surely a van is exempt from the laws, they are only slightly larger cars after all. In any case they don’t have double sleepers so there is no way such a small vehicle could even really have any such rules. When I worked for Fed Ex we had some guys on contracts such as Yamaha organs that required double manning, although it was tight in those DAF 2100 cabs they still had two bunks.

But OK if they were really … ‘good friends’ … ■■

How long can you stay awake ? Some courier / parcel firms send 5-6 vans up to Carnryan every night because they don’t have to keep record or use a tacho . When you see these guys day in day out with their eyes hanging out of their sockets you realise van driving is not for anyone long term . Not surprising that most of the off road accidents on the A75 are vans forgetting to turn the corners at the end of long straights .