Double Manning - please clarify 21 hour duty and 9 hour rest

Sorry - for yet another question but I am pricing a job up at the moment - which would mean we would be sending out a crew as doubled manned… are you still only allowed 3 off 9 hour rests?? all the info i can find says your duty can be 21 hours, but your rest must be 9 hours in a 30 hour period… so how many shifts could you go out doubled manned ?

As far as i read it you can do as many as you can fit into 6 x 24 hour periods.
I may be wrong though.

9 hours is not reduced when double manning. You can do 4 full 21 shifts.

If I’m reading it right, the thing that is very easy to overlook is that the only exemption with multi-manning is the daily rest requirement.
Quote from VOSA: “Vehicles manned by two or more drivers are governed by the same rules that apply to single-manned vehicles, apart from the daily rest requirements.

Multi-manning lets you do 20 hours driving, 1 hour other work, 9 hours rest (not the normal 11)

SO I THINK you can between you only do 20 hours driving on two of the 24 hour periods, as according to normal rules you can only do 10 hours on two days per week.

That actually increases the number of shifts you can do:

144 hours available (6*24)
29 hours (20 driving 9 rest) = 115 left
29 hours (20 driving 9 rest) = 86 left
27 hours (18 driving 9 rest) = 59 left
27 hours (18 driving 9 rest) = 32 left
27 hours (18 driving 9 rest) = 5 left

Both drivers would then have done 47 hours driving, so within the 56 max per week.

Or am I wrong?!
Personally I think it would be insane to actually DO this.

Dont TNT do this down to Milan (SJ Pierce and Carr Bros)■■

Cold Up North:
Dont TNT do this down to Milan (SJ Pierce and Carr Bros)■■

correct :sunglasses: 30 hours, 21 hrs plus 9 hours off! :grimacing: keep 'er lit drives :laughing:

th2013:
If I’m reading it right, the thing that is very easy to overlook is that the only exemption with multi-manning is the daily rest requirement.
Quote from VOSA: “Vehicles manned by two or more drivers are governed by the same rules that apply to single-manned vehicles, apart from the daily rest requirements.

Multi-manning lets you do 20 hours driving, 1 hour other work, 9 hours rest (not the normal 11)

SO I THINK you can between you only do 20 hours driving on two of the 24 hour periods, as according to normal rules you can only do 10 hours on two days per week.

That actually increases the number of shifts you can do:

144 hours available (6*24)
29 hours (20 driving 9 rest) = 115 left
29 hours (20 driving 9 rest) = 86 left
27 hours (18 driving 9 rest) = 59 left
27 hours (18 driving 9 rest) = 32 left
27 hours (18 driving 9 rest) = 5 left

Both drivers would then have done 47 hours driving, so within the 56 max per week.

Or am I wrong?!
Personally I think it would be insane to actually DO this.

Add 1 hour to each of those shifts for other work etc and you could fill the 144 hours

You are correct about the 10 hour drives - 2 per fixed week and between rest periods

10 hour drives within 24 hour periods is not quite correct