Hi all
Bear with me this could be complicated :slight_smile:
Situation is this
Start shift at 0800
Drive to loading location approx 1 hr
Load up 30 mins
Drive to first job approx 1hr
Then various drops throughout the day finish approx 1700
My question is if driver 1 drives to the loading point does the first 45 mins of driver2 poa count as break and if we swap on the way back is it the same ?
Also can you have a second break on poa or does it have to be a proper rest ?
If it makes a difference we are paid breaks and can’t leave the vehicle

Cheers for any advice

Click here. Go to page 38 and look under Common Rules - Multi Manning. Yes, the first 45 can be used as a driving break for Driver 2.

As said - the first 45 mins of POA when the card is in slot 2 will count as break for the regs

That applies to both drivers at any time during the shift

Just out of curiosity, why can’t you leave the vehicle ?

Terry T:

BECAUSE IT’LL BE MOVING :wink: :wink: :wink:

cornishnick:
Hi all
Bear with me this could be complicated :slight_smile:
Situation is this
Start shift at 0800
Drive to loading location approx 1 hr
Load up 30 mins
Drive to first job approx 1hr
Then various drops throughout the day finish approx 1700
My question is if driver 1 drives to the loading point does the first 45 mins of driver2 poa count as break and if we swap on the way back is it the same ?

The first 45 minutes of POA while the driver is sat in the passenger seat with his card in slot 2 will count as break, however if this is the first 45 minutes of the working day the break won’t count for the RT(WT)R and obviously won’t count as a driving break, breaks for the RT(WT)R cannot be at the immediate start of end of the shift.

It doesn’t sound like that will affect effect you but it’s probably worth mentioning.

cornishnick:
Also can you have a second break on poa or does it have to be a proper rest ?
If it makes a difference we are paid breaks and can’t leave the vehicle

Any-time a second driver is sat in the passenger seat with his card in slot 2 the first 45 minutes of that POA will count as break, so yes you can have a second break on POA.

Terry T:

Ummmmmmmm security reasons ( taps nose ) :slight_smile:

nick2008:

Terry T:

BECAUSE IT’LL BE MOVING :wink: :wink: :wink:

It goes without saying you can’t leave a moving truck lol. Because you did say it I assumed you couldn’t leave the truck even if you were in a services or a layby.

You have to have 11 hours daily rest after a double man shift, which I think can be up to 21 hours, you cannot reduce to 9. So I hear, I’m not an expert on it though.

Silver_Surfer:
You have to have 11 hours daily rest after a double man shift, which I think can be up to 21 hours, you cannot reduce to 9. So I hear, I’m not an expert on it though.

Dunno where you heard that but its rubbish

Under MM rules both drivers can do a 21 hour shift followed by a 9 hour daily rest and that rest counts as a regular, not reduced, rest period

As a side note - the 9 hour MM daily rest cannot be used for an interrupted ferry crossing - that must be an 11

Silver_Surfer:

When multi-manning you should have a daily rest period of at-least 9 hours within 30 hours from the start of the shift, that means the spread-over can be up-to 21 hours.

Page 21 - Rules on Drivers Hours and Tachographs

Oh well, duped again… :slight_smile: