Double manned

Now that it’s illegal for second driver to lay down whilst truck moving
Has there been changes to rest and break hours
If there hasn’t how the f!!! Can they say you can’t lay down but you
Can still do a twenty one hour shift…that’s negligence of the worst
Sort here condoning everything everything they supposed to be about
Min breaks should be 11 after a full shift.
Perhaps they have changed it ,does any one know !,

dannybungay7:
Now that it’s illegal for second driver to lay down whilst truck moving
Has there been changes to rest and break hours
If there hasn’t how the f!!! Can they say you can’t lay down but you
Can still do a twenty one hour shift…that’s negligence of the worst
Sort here condoning everything everything they supposed to be about
Min breaks should be 11 after a full shift.
Perhaps they have changed it ,does any one know !,

Illegal to lay down while the vehicle is moving, since when ?

You can’t have a rest period in a moving vehicle but as far as I’m aware there’s nothing to stop you lying on the bunk for a break while the vehicle is moving.

There’s nothing to stop you doing a 21 hour multi-manned shift but it’s not compulsory any-more than only having a 9 hour rest after the shift is compulsory, so I don’t really understand what you’re ranting about.

The rules for multi-manning on EU regulations haven’t changed for over 9 years.
The rules for multi-manning are that:

• The second driver must join the first driver within an hour of the first driver starting.
  • You must have a 9 hour daily rest period completed within 30 hours from the start of the shift.
  • While a driver is sat in the passenger seat with his driver card in slot 2 the first 45 minutes of POA will be counted as break.
    [/*:m][/list:u]

A case could be brought to court against the driver if they allow a passenger to travel other than in a safe manner at a time where it is actually unsafe to do so

In other words a good example would be if an incident occurred and the passenger on the bunk was injured where had they been in the passenger seat the injury would not have occurred

They is no specific law for travelling in a bunk

Thought that there had to be a restraint to lay on the bunk whilst moving which was why Scania had nets and Merc’s had them armrest looking things that you pulled up .

People are getting nicked in the uk for the second man being on the bunk that’s out of the commercial motor ,same in France and especially spain ,it is a law ,you can also be fined for
Putting your feet on the dash that’s been the law last year or so , you are definitely not allowed on the bed while the vehicle is moving
I haven’t heard any ,only ifs to it

Only SEATS have to have SEAT belts and as far as I can fathom it SEAT belt laws only apply to SEATS.

I have asked three different traffic cops today and got one said he’d issue a fixed penalty. The other two said they’d issue advise but no penalty. One of these did think he would be correct to issue a fixed penalty but believed that if the driver contested it - it would never reach court and wasn’t really in the interests of road safety to disturb a sleeping driver to issue a pointless ticket.

My contact at the local traffic police is trying to get me a definitive answer in writing.

You better hope he gets the right answer Shep, this has the potential to ruin all those "fascinating " fly on the wall jobbies featuring two cops in a truck and a cameraman sat on the bed filming the action!

shep532:
Only SEATS have to have SEAT belts and as far as I can fathom it SEAT belt laws only apply to SEATS.

ihave asked three different traffic cops

My contact at the local traffic police is trying to get me a definitive answer in writing.

dont hold your breath waiting… isn’t it only forward facing seats tha require belts,hence campervans and spunktrumpet party limos with across the van facing seats…though plod can still try to say your not being carried in a safe manner,but as always ,open to debate…no forward facing seat…no belt required.a beds not a seat.

dieseldog999:

shep532:

ihave asked three different traffic cops

dont hold your breath waiting… isn’t it only forward facing seats tha require belts,hence campervans and spunktrumpet party limos with across the van facing seats…though plod can still try to say your not being carried in a safe manner,but as always ,open to debate…no forward facing seat…no belt required.a beds not a seat.

I reckon you are spot on correct but … as you say there is always this view about safety. I read comments on a Police force facebook page saying they will gladly issue a fixed penalty for having a mobile phone loose on the drivers lap (not using it) because this constitutes dangerous driving (the loose phone could cause the driver to lose control) :unamused: So what they’d make of a 15 stone bloke rolling round the cab I dunno!

As far as I am aware most bunks will have some form of securing such as a net or a couple of belts etc and I would hope that as long as these are used no Police/DVSA are going to lower themselves to taking action against a driver sleeping in the bunk but having just heard the news this morning about speed cameras on the M1 being turned on permanently (not just during variable speed limits) because the force is low on money it shows just how low these enforcement agencies are having to go to keep their well paid jobs.

Magistrate court case in Leicester during the past 2 years …
Horsebox lorry stopped and 2 children found to be sitting in the living area where no seat belts are fitted
Cop stated it was unsafe so it went to court
Thrown out of court because it was not unsafe at the time it was stopped
CPS decided not to appeal

ROG:
Magistrate court case in Leicester during the past 2 years …
Horsebox lorry stopped and 2 children found to be sitting in the living area where no seat belts are fitted
Cop stated it was unsafe so it went to court
Thrown out of court because it was not unsafe at the time it was stopped
CPS decided not to appeal[/quot

usual ■■■■ jobsworth beancounting plod…no penalty,no forward facing seat,no seatbelt,same for campers etc…no problem…get into your bunk and have a good kip drive… :smiley:

Spanish are the worst for dishing out fines for it ,I was fined recently for leaning forward
making a sandwich in the passenger seat obviously ,coz my seatbelt wasn’t straight
Really need to get some sort of Spanish documentation stating what’s what restraints etc
“Your havin a laugh Jose”