Double decker trailers.

If they shut the motorway,do you have to sit there,if you deviate off course,with the height of these trailers,there is a chance of hitting something.If i put the height in my Snooper,i could not rely on it 100%.

Overhanging trees can be a problem too especially nearside. I also once brought some telegraph wires down in Weston Super Mare with a dd, that was over 20 yrs ago and I just carried on and nothing was ever said.

Inform the office that you are going off route, that way you have covered yourself, if the bridge is not marked it will be 16’ 6" or above, a good truckers atlas has all the bridge heights.

Also you must be aware of overhanging tree branches when using other routes.

double deck trailers are without doubt the most stupid idea known to man , you’ve hit the nail square on the head toby thats been one of my arguments with these stupid things . :unamused:

all you need to create total mayhem is a tree you dont even need a bridge , get off the main route and your running the risk of damage .

ban the dam things is what i say … :imp:

I think the bureaucrats in Brussels are trying to get rid of them,there was some posts about it on here a few months ago,they want 4 metre trailers.

Has anyone tipped them over on a roundabout,are they top heavy,a light load on the low deck and heavy stuff on top,like pet food and so on.?

toby1234abc:
Has anyone tipped them over on a roundabout,are they top heavy,a light load on the low deck and heavy stuff on top,like pet food and so on.?

no but give me time im doing my best … :imp:

Double the profit for the operator,or the normal rate for the job?

bald bloke:
Overhanging trees can be a problem too especially nearside. I also once brought some telegraph wires down in Weston Super Mare with a dd, that was over 20 yrs ago and I just carried on and nothing was ever said.

Not so much of a problem these days with the sloping roof deckers. Telegraph wires and tree branches get pushed over the trailer. Although i doubt the same would happen with a bridge somehow.
Truck v’s Bridge. Bridges always win!!!

I see hundreds of them going north on the M5 heading to the Hub.

toby1234abc:

Only top heavy if you load them top heavy. I do multi drop pallet work in Glasgow with a decker and never had any problems with them as long as it loaded properly.

toby1234abc:
If they shut the motorway,do you have to sit there

Yes, if you start sobbing loudly enough, a womble will come along and hold your hand,
and in your case wipe your bottom.

toby1234abc:
I see hundreds of them going north on the M5 heading to the Hub.

Which hub?

Nearly 8 years on them now - not a problem if you use a bit of sense.

Birmingham,near the airport runway.

I was born without a bottom,a plastic tube does that now,so no bottom wiping is required.

toby1234abc:
Birmingham,near the airport runway.

That’ll be us then!!

It is a fallacy to think that all DDs are 16’ plus. Our palletforce trailers are 15’. I think it is the parcel firms that go for the max - parcels are low density so weight isn’t a problem.

Palletforce are very tough about putting heavy or unstable pallets on the top - H & S of course but right in this case.

As to them tipping over - I suspect that it is quite rare. Only a small proportion of all trailers are DDs so it’s hard to tell, but I think that the operators and drivers are much more wary of risking high winds, and knowing that you have a high load does make you more cautious on the bends.

Common sense needed for these thats all, and the purchase and perusal of a proper bridge height map.

Nothing wrong with them or any other design if there is a driver instead of a wheel attendent at the helm.

Juddian:
Common sense needed for these thats all, and the purchase and perusal of a proper bridge height map.

Nothing wrong with them or any other design if there is a driver instead of a wheel attendent at the helm.

:unamused: really ?

Santa:
It is a fallacy to think that all DDs are 16’ plus. Our palletforce trailers are 15’. I think it is the parcel firms that go for the max - parcels are low density so weight isn’t a problem.

Palletforce are very tough about putting heavy or unstable pallets on the top - H & S of course but right in this case.

As to them tipping over - I suspect that it is quite rare. Only a small proportion of all trailers are DDs so it’s hard to tell, but I think that the operators and drivers are much more wary of risking high winds, and knowing that you have a high load does make you more cautious on the bends.

Ours are 16’ but provided they are properly loaded (usually, not always) I’d agree with Santa