Double decker advice please

First time pulling one tonight and I know didly squat about them so any tips much appreciated. Going to near bishop’s stortford and somewhere else. I’ll try anything once me :laughing:

First of all though, I hear there’s a difference between “decker” and double decker - what’s that all about?

the ones at Grantham got a switch on the front near where you plug the airlines in, turns the rear-steer axle on, makes them more fun :smiley: You spend all your time looking in the mirror at the axle though :stuck_out_tongue: the more it steers the more exciting it is ? :blush: (If you leave the switch on, Be straight inline with the trailer before you start reversing so it locks it for you if you want it to reverse like a normal trailer, or if its tight and you want the steering then don’t be straight) Just take it a bit slower round corners and stuff. You won’t have to do anything with the decks, the warehouse guys do that, and if they ask you too your not trained anyways, makes life easier. Ohh and set your cab marker to the right height and remember to avoid bridges :slight_smile:

Bishops Stortford is quite a tight yard at night as all the 10tonners are parked up and they can’t be arsed to move them out the way for you.

doh :blush:

Lycanthrope:

Whats with the

Lycan :question:

Did you go too fast round a corner in reverse and hit a bridge or low hanging tree branch :question: :question: :laughing: :laughing:

Lycanthrope:
You won’t have to do anything with the decks, the warehouse guys do that, and if they ask you too your not trained anyways, makes life easier.

I would worry about that, and learn what makes them work, rather than let another uncaring untrained monkey trash a trailer that came under my responsibility.

Do take corners and junctions and islands with extra care .

Check to see if the company your pulling for has specified route runs, they may not appreciate you doing a detour without their sayso.
Beware of overhanging /low tree branches.
Make sure you check WHAT ( ie nature of goods) and what Weight the warehouse have loaded on the top deck before you leave the yard and that load is secure and if necessary strapped tight.
If trailer is sealed - get authorisation to break seal and check your load is safe and secure internally - then reseal … You the driver are responsible, no-one else.

Some untrained uncaring warehouse monkies have loaded booze /pop pallets on top deck with the lighter stuff below on bottom deck on occasion,
causing subsequent grief consequences to the driver.
Not big - not clever (but bigger than a standard 4.0 mtr :laughing: )

Watch out for strong sidewinds on open roads , it can get a bit blustery and play havoc with your steering wheel whilst trying to roll a ■■■. :laughing:
If trailer has air suspension- hang on tight , its gonna be a bumpy ride in the wind :laughing: If it gets too windy and rocky , and you loose trye contact with the ground or can hear the occasional tractor tyre wheel spin whilst travelling - reduce speed and swiftly park up somewhere safe till the high winds die down. Dont "hop" down from the top deck floor level-- its a long way down :frowning: Health and Safety you know :unamused:

Trialers come in different make/model/type / spec,
dont know what your hauling but,
example types are :-
Decker - 2/3 levels fixed floor, (possible curtain sided or boxed)
D/Deck 2 levels - hydraulic raising/lowering internal deck, (boxed)
D/Deck 2 levels fixed floor with rear door Tail-lift up to both levels + shuts and seals (ie, taillift lifts and folds to act as closure rear door). (boxed).

There was a picture floating round somewhere of a supermarket D/D that had the trolleys pop out the front of the top deck.

As has been said, know your height. Always have an atlas with bridge heights and plan your route before leaving with any possible detours you can and can’t take beacause of bridge heights.

Take it ginger on roundabouts and adverse cambers or you may have it on it’s side if it’s been loaded “top heavy”. The small wheels are fragile so don’t curb them or you may destroy the wheel.

Other than that, they’re pretty much the same to drive as a normal trailer.

My advice would be to avoid them and go for either a wispa or a boost bar they are much more tastier!!

Hope this helps :wink:

Thetaff:
My advice would be to avoid them and go for either a wispa or a boost bar they are much more tastier!!

My g/f says she prefers a mars bar :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

darkseeker:
'…Double decker advice please … I hear there’s a difference between “decker” and double decker - what’s that all about…?

In my simple way I understood the term ‘double-decker’ to be either a bus with an upstairs, to hit someone twice very hard in quick succession or a gay way to mean ‘multi-deck’.

Perhaps when/if I ever get CPC’d I’ll learn the job properly…

Cheers guys, nothing other than the obvious really then?

I don’t know if they’re rear-steer or not, I don’t think so though. Things might change yet anyway I suppose, Especially as I may be due a row with the agency; who pressed me to work soley for them to gain class 1 experience and are now trying to send me on a horrible job (which is “ongoing”) driving clapped out 12tonners :imp:

Edit; oops, you only need to hear it the once, I’m sure :laughing:

trux:

Thetaff:

My g/f says she prefers a mars bar :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

To what!? :laughing: :wink:

darkseeker:

I don’t know if they’re rear-steer or not, I don’t think so though. Things might change yet anyway I suppose, Especially as I may be due a row with the agency; who pressed me to work soley for them to gain class 1 experience and are now trying to send me on a horrible job (which is “ongoing”) driving clapped out 12tonners :imp:

havent they got one of the old CORBY deckers at grantham,thats defo not rear steer,dont use them much but was warned not to screw it round tight in a yard or wherever as make rip/pull tyres away from rims,no idea if its true or just a myth but it may be worth bearing in mind.

"ady1:
was warned not to screw it round tight in a yard or wherever as make rip/pull tyres away from rims,no idea if its true or just a myth but it may be worth bearing in mind.

TRUE!!!

Happened when Halfords started to use them. It’s not just the damage but the problems the tyre fitters have finding replacements (more common now so that may not be true)

ady1:

darkseeker:

havent they got one of the old CORBY deckers at grantham,thats defo not rear steer,dont use them much but was warned not to screw it round tight in a yard or wherever as make rip/pull tyres away from rims,no idea if its true or just a myth but it may be worth bearing in mind.

They are ex-Corby trailers, and they are rear steer :wink: :open_mouth: Like I said theres a switch near the airlines and plugs that turns it on or off, they are rigid boxes with a moving deck inside, ie lower top to the bottom level and you can load the deck and dancefloor, move up and you can load the bottom deck. Barn doors. Wouldn’t worry too much about pulling the tyres off, Once saw a shunter helping a tyre fitter trying to get the wheel off that was jammed on the hub, had taked the nuts off it and was driving the trailer round in circles on the back end for about an hour and it still didn’t come off.

Cartwrights the trailer people
reckon you can run with 60% of the load weight on the top deck :smiley:
worrying eh

ask for some tips from their people

Lycanthrope:

ady1:

darkseeker:

They are ex-Corby trailers, and they are rear steer :wink: :open_mouth: Like I said theres a switch near the airlines and plugs that turns it on or off, they are rigid boxes with a moving deck inside, ie lower top to the bottom level and you can load the deck and dancefloor, move up and you can load the bottom deck. Barn doors. Wouldn’t worry too much about pulling the tyres off, Once saw a shunter helping a tyre fitter trying to get the wheel off that was jammed on the hub, had taked the nuts off it and was driving the trailer round in circles on the back end for about an hour and it still didn’t come off.

well you learn a new thing every day, havent used them much but didnt realise they were /could be rear steer, now i really will stay well away from them,a night at salvos with one of things was enough for me :wink:

Have fun checking the tyres on your walk round. :wink:

Driveroneuk:
Have fun checking the tyres on your walk round. :wink:

:laughing: that’s something I found yes! Can only do your best though I suppose.

Actually driving the thing was a doddle! Anything bigger than a car overtaking at speed was a little hair raising, had a difficult reverse and managed quite nicely, nearly forgot the back doors though!

No rear steering but was a nearly new trailer. I enjoyed it to be honest.

Time for some kip now though!