Door knocking?

I’m gonna do some door knocking this week, and I’m just wondering if the gate/barrier guard will let u in?
Do you go to the Transport office/goods in? Or main office, where the company head office is?
I take it there’s a transport manager at each depot?

Ive always called up, you’ll often find that the transport manger won’t have the time to interview you straight away. I call up find out if theres any jobs then mention that your either young or inexperienced.

When on the phone i normally say something like, “I’m calling to see if you have any class 1 (2) driving opportunities?”, etc, sounds a bit better than, “have you got any jobs?”.

All the best.

Depends on the companies, have a little driver/wander around big industrial estates, look for anywhere lots of trucks are parked overnight. Sometimes TMs are based inside other people’s yards, they can be hard to find, but it’s worth the effort. Do your research - get a list of local hauliers in your area and start with them, they’re usually based where they say they are.

Wheelyb, to locate small hauliers to large fleets,have a gander on the DVSA or VOSA website.
It lists the locations under the applications/decisions pages on their website.
Owner drivers on there too.
When i was out of work,i found they never return an email.
When managers ask where i live,they hang up the phone.
Too far they say.
Washing trucks or driving their van is a way in if no current driving jobs.
You may get to hear of jobs going at other sites from visiting drivers.
Keep the eyes peeled on local newspapers.I see a few jobs going there.
Jf Pierce are after two artic drivers at Waterlip Somerset.
Top pay rates.

toby1234abc:
When managers ask where i live,they hang up the phone.
Too far they say.

That’s because Tobyland is a very long way from anywhere else. :smiley: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I asked where could i park my spaceship in their yard.They said one driver burnt holes in their tarmac from landing his rocket. :smiley:

Saw the title and thought it was about parking in laybys around Wolverhampton… :blush:

Last night i done a search for my local hauliers. Today i went knocking unannounced just for a chat. It resulted in 3 job offers and start permanent job in the morning. There isnt really a right way. But some is luck.

Oh and i only passed.my test on friday 2/5

Congratulations jmc!

There you go wheelyb, got to be worth a go!

jmc:
Last night i done a search for my local hauliers. Today i went knocking unannounced just for a chat. It resulted in 3 job offers and start permanent job in the morning. There isnt really a right way. But some is luck.

Oh and i only passed.my test on friday 2/5

Wow that’s bloody quick! Well done. I’ve filled applications in for various companies and sent off, but for the moment I joined an agency to get at least some experience while I wait for the outcome of the applications