Don't talk to me about sidelights!

Do we really need snow to grind this country to a halt?

Back on topic, I’ve got a S80, '99 ‘T’ reg. I can’t turn off the headlights even when the knob is in the off position (sorry), but S80’s built after mine, do have the facility to turn off the headlights ‘properly’.

Also, while these driving lights are on the front, why aren’t the rear tail lights on too, more wiring - something else to go wrongto go wrong?? :imp:

Goldfinger:
Also, while these driving lights are on the front, why aren’t the rear tail lights on too, more wiring - something else to go wrongto go wrong?? :imp:

Because only front lights are required by law to be on. Rear lights don’t really help much during the day.

Speed differential,
Example Single carrageway road. Car and lorry on opposite sides of the road, converging speed (60 mph + 40 mph) 100 mph difference
Car following lorry 20 mph differential
Assuming both vehicles are obeying their respective speed limits and this is “open road”

I got a new premium on thursday and it doesnt have drls on sounds like i need to mention this

Bud143:
I got a new premium on thursday and it doesnt have drls on sounds like i need to mention this

You can set them on in menu.

Ah cool cheers

brados:
Why oh why is there an option on all UK vehicles to have just the sidelights on without headlights when the engine is running?

The lights should be on or off! That is so simple, sidelights should be fitted and working but only wired to work without headlights when the ignition is switched off!

Prats driving with just sidelights should have their vehicles taken off them and sold with the proceeds given to me!

When will they learn it is dangerous practise to run on sidelights alone, to make it so easy for everyone and to keep me calm just remove the option for them to do this!

Lights simply on or off!

DHL’s policy is that side lights MUST be on during daytime hours,if you get seen without them on your in for a warning.

Why oh why is there an option on all UK vehicles to have just the sidelights on without headlights when the engine is running?

The lights should be on or off! That is so simple, sidelights should be fitted and working but only wired to work without headlights when the ignition is switched off!

Prats driving with just sidelights should have their vehicles taken off them and sold with the proceeds given to me!

When will they learn it is dangerous practise to run on sidelights alone, to make it so easy for everyone and to keep me calm just remove the option for them to do this!

Lights simply on or off!

It’s one of my pet hates aswell. I double manned a truck with somebody once who though the side light position was actually headllights, I had to get the manual out before he beleived he was wrong, then for a little while he used the headlight, but eventually went back to using sidelights.
Saw and even better one yesterday, in low light conditions driver 2 cars behind me was had his side lights on, but if that wasn’t bad enough he’d replaced the bulbs with blue ones. :imp:

The ■■■■■ that have the sidelights and foglights on are the ones that are most deserving of an RPG round through the rear window.

brados:

Lights simply on or off!

I’m with you there. I especially like the ones who drive in the fog or rain with side lights.

I once ripped into a friend of mine who said during a conversation “it wasn’t dark enough for bright headlights…” :smiling_imp:

They should make correct use of lights a CPC topic, for all drivers not just for truckers :laughing:

I think it’s mainly a problem of terminology, if they were referred to as parking or marker lights then it might just click in their illogical little heads as to what they’re designed to be used for.

You MUST

ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise

use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).

How on earth is it dangerous to run with sidelights on alone? (Assuming were talking about during the day?)

If it’s at night I totally agree, I’ve seen so many round here recently. On the way home I spotted FOUR cars in 10 miles with no lights on…how on earth can someone not realise!?

starfighter:
The [zb] that have the sidelights and foglights on are the ones that are most deserving of an RPG round through the rear window.

Has to do with safety :exclamation:
Headlight go straight forward and fog reflects them.
foglight also some of it gets straight forwards,but most of it goes under the fog forwards,as Fog doesn’t goes fully down to the Ground.
that why you have Foglight.Otherwhise,if it would light straight forward were it cheaper to use high Beam,but that light gets reflected much more

Wheel Nut:
You MUST

ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise

use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).

In a well lit street it’s not really a problem, but I do think the highway code is outdated on this, especially when other countries have daytime running lights.

But in the half light, or misty or foggy conditions on rural roads, you still see cars on sidelights only. The problem is you only just seem them and that split second might be the difference between you pulling out of a junction into the path of the vehicle.

Lovlyperson:

starfighter:
The [zb] that have the sidelights and foglights on are the ones that are most deserving of an RPG round through the rear window.

foglight also some of it gets straight forwards,but most of it goes under the fog forwards,as Fog doesn’t goes fully down to the Ground.
that why you have Foglight.Otherwhise,if it would light straight forward were it cheaper to use high Beam,but that light gets reflected much more

This would be a fair explantion if it happened when it was actually foggy.

muckles:

Wheel Nut:
You MUST

In a well lit street it’s not really a problem, but I do think the highway code is outdated on this, especially when other countries have daytime running lights.

But in the half light, or misty or foggy conditions on rural roads, you still see cars on sidelights only. The problem is you only just seem them and that split second might be the difference between you pulling out of a junction into the path of the vehicle.

You can see them if they’re alone, but it it’s dual carriageway or a line of cars and the others have got headlights on then your eyes adjust for the bright lights, and the dim side lights become far less visible. This is the big problem when they’re overtaking you on the motorway in the rain and spray, day or night, especially with wet mirrors, you can see loads of cars behind with headlights on but it becomes very easy to miss that car with side lights which is just at the end of your trailer.

muckles:

Lovlyperson:

starfighter:

This would be a fair explantion if it happened when it was actually foggy.

You know that its Foggy when some switched there (Rear) Foglight on :exclamation: :wink:

Wheel Nut:
You MUST

Yes I was aware of the highway code stuff but I am talking about removing the option for a driver to have just the sidelights switched on, the light switch should be simply ON or OFF.

And I was talking about night also, I should have made that bit clear.

I don’t have a problem with people running on sidelights, if you can see that, you’ve seen the car. A bit like the argument I put up if tackled for not wearing a hi viz :slight_smile: I have more of a problem with dicks driving at 2 in the afternoon with headlights on :unamused: