Don't pull your tacho card

Green Devil:
It’s a missed opportunity really

It would have been more appropriate if the OP had approached the admin with a view to starting a Q&A forum to discuss topics that drivers are unsure about with input from a serving TC.

That would make for interesting reading and improve standards. Not sure what it would do for fine revenue though :wink:

+1

Traffic Commissioner:
My thoughts on HGV drivers using cannabis are that they shouldn’t.

I would have hoped for something a bit stronger than that, especially as I’ve been such of critic of our weed-vaping wannabe truck driver :laughing:

Zac_A:

Green Devil:
It’s a missed opportunity really

It would have been more appropriate if the OP had approached the admin with a view to starting a Q&A forum to discuss topics that drivers are unsure about with input from a serving TC.

That would make for interesting reading and improve standards. Not sure what it would do for fine revenue though :wink:

+1

Yes and No.
Would a more formal setting set precedents in areas outside of this particular TC`s area?
More informally it might reach a wider audience, and be easier for him to dip into and out of, as constraints from his full time work allows?

(Daresay he can take hit on commission for the fines he doles out, Civil Servants are all rich)

I wouldn’t assume TC’s are on commission, if they were I wouldn’t hear so many TMs say the various TCs are “hard but fair”.

Franglais:
As I understand it T.C.s are servants of the Department for Transport, and as such obey(?) enforce(?) follow(?) the rules of the DfT.
My question is how much does the DfT ask the TCs for advice and opinion? Assuming you agree prevention is better than cure or punishment, isnt it better to avoid those circumstances where infractions or rule breaking is likely to occur? More specifically, what of parking for over-nighting drivers? The DfT lays down rules about the limits we can work, and also has responsibility for the road network *via* Highways England. To avoid drivers running over hours shouldnt there be more parking areas for trucks?
It isn`t an ideal world, with unlimited resources, but do the TCs or you yourself, have opinions on this?

You make a valid point. I think it’s generally accepted that HGV parking provision in the UK could be better (I know that some will consider that an understatement, but I am a public servant so cannot be too colourful with personal opinions about this). TCs try to take a pragmatic view of drivers’ hours infringements, so if on occasion a driver has gone over their hours because a particular parking place was full and they had to go on to the next one we are not going to make an undue fuss about it. It’s where the driver has tried to disguise the extra driving by pulling the card that it becomes much more serious. It was against this that I was trying to warn drivers in my original post, as the consequences are so much more severe than going over the driving time hours (with the card in) from time to time.

TruckDriverBen:
That’s funny op I’m a traffic commisher too and your allowed to pull your card out and drive in private land.

And overspeed and wtd I won’t bother anyone so long as your not fitted a device which exceed 60mph yes I said 60 not 56 law is 60 on motorway and dual

No, if you do any on-road driving then all driving you do that day (even off-road or on private land) must be recorded on your card.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Traffic Commissioner:

Franglais:
As I understand it T.C.s are servants of the Department for Transport, and as such obey(?) enforce(?) follow(?) the rules of the DfT.
My question is how much does the DfT ask the TCs for advice and opinion? Assuming you agree prevention is better than cure or punishment, isnt it better to avoid those circumstances where infractions or rule breaking is likely to occur? More specifically, what of parking for over-nighting drivers? The DfT lays down rules about the limits we can work, and also has responsibility for the road network *via* Highways England. To avoid drivers running over hours shouldnt there be more parking areas for trucks?
It isn`t an ideal world, with unlimited resources, but do the TCs or you yourself, have opinions on this?

You make a valid point. I think it’s generally accepted that HGV parking provision in the UK could be better (I know that some will consider that an understatement, but I am a public servant so cannot be too colourful with personal opinions about this). TCs try to take a pragmatic view of drivers’ hours infringements, so if on occasion a driver has gone over their hours because a particular parking place was full and they had to go on to the next one we are not going to make an undue fuss about it. It’s where the driver has tried to disguise the extra driving by pulling the card that it becomes much more serious. It was against this that I was trying to warn drivers in my original post, as the consequences are so much more severe than going over the driving time hours (with the card in) from time to time.

Thanks for the response.
In a public forum you can only say so much of course.
As a general query though, is there a channel whereby you can pass info and advice “upstairs”? We can`t expect you to divulge any conversations, but can you confirm that such channels do exist?

Ed to add, Yes your original post was straight to the point and sound advice. **** happens and trying to hide it compounds the offence.

Winseer:

the maoster:
Don’t think it’s within a TC’s remit to up our wages or to force a reduction in hours. HTH.

Surely as an authority figure though - they have better access to the corridors of power than we plebs do?

Someone needs to send Grabber Gribble at Parliament a message…

That is what your local MP is for.

The state of affairs regards overnight parking from the M25 down Brighton/ Portsmouth area is ridiculous. I spent an hour and a half searching for a spot to park up for the night leaving me with an infringement because of the lack of services to truck drivers. Clacket lane was at full capacity and after that very limited options without traveling way off your route to park. What happens if I get pulled over and they see this on my tacho? My time management was not out as I left plenty of time to get parked, but the pure lack of amenities and traffic problems down South is appalling.

Yorkshire Tramper:
The state of affairs regards overnight parking from the M25 down Brighton/ Portsmouth area is ridiculous. I spent an hour and a half searching for a spot to park up for the night leaving me with an infringement because of the lack of services to truck drivers. Clacket lane was at full capacity and after that very limited options without traveling way off your route to park. What happens if I get pulled over and they see this on my tacho? My time management was not out as I left plenty of time to get parked, but the pure lack of amenities and traffic problems down South is appalling.

Clearly it was, as you wouldn’t have exceeded a standard driving period by 1.5 hours. I doubt you’d get much sympathy from the TC for that infringement. If your work cannot be done within the rules then either plan better or sub it out to a local. The lack of parking facilities is not a new thing.

DCPCFML:
Clearly it was, as you wouldn’t have exceeded a standard driving period by 1.5 hours. I doubt you’d get much sympathy from the TC for that infringement. If your work cannot be done within the rules then either plan better or sub it out to a local. The lack of parking facilities is not a new thing.

Difficult to plan better when there are no facilities available in the area. Traffic was crawling on the M25 and my time as well as options were running out. My point is the complete lack of services, something needs to change. A point to note is if all of the EE drivers have gone home and we have a driver shortage with less trucks on the road. Where are all the empty parking spots then? It’s ridiculous.

Yorkshire Tramper:

DCPCFML:

Difficult to plan better when there are no facilities available in the area. Traffic was crawling on the M25 and my time as well as options were running out. My point is the complete lack of services, something needs to change. A point to note is if all of the EE drivers have gone home and we have a driver shortage with less trucks on the road. Where are all the empty parking spots then? It’s ridiculous.

IF there are no facilities in the area then you have no excuse for the driving time infringement, because as per your own admission you already know there’s nowhere to park. The M25 is always crawling so again, no excuse. Why did you even drive there instead of subbing out the load to a local? Can see the TC throwing the book at you as everything you’ve said was preventable through better planning.

DCPCFML:

Yorkshire Tramper:

DCPCFML:
IF there are no facilities in the area then you have no excuse for the driving time infringement, because as per your own admission you already know there’s nowhere to park. The M25 is always crawling so again, no excuse. Why did you even drive there instead of subbing out the load to a local? Can see the TC throwing the book at you as everything you’ve said was preventable through better planning.

Of course it was my own silly fault, I deserve the book thrown at me.

If the person is here with good intent then so be it .
Whats the need for a whole investigation ?
Its really simple people - heres a TC who we can ask questions to and get answers from - how valuable is that ? Something going on at your work that your not quite happy about ? - heres the guy to ask and see if its good and proper or if your being taken for a mug .
Of course some be falling over themselves to prove just how little intelegence they have .

Do pull your tacho card if…

You’re about to put the magnet on :smiley:

To the mods this is quite obviously a tongue in cheek comment so having explained that you will not feel the need to pull the comment this time

Hello and welcome to the OP

I don’t know about anyone else but I would love to be able to have a proper discussion on here about subjects that aren’t completely clear instead of it evolving into insults/slanging match/stropping off slamming the door

There are things that are interpreted incorrectly and which could be easily solved with a chat rather than the months of paperwork required to go off for tea and biscuits with one of the TCs (why is mine the only one not smiling??)

Personally I welcome the new forum member and I hope he stays around.

I very much enjoy challenging/offending authority at every opportunity as I believe many working class folks simply get shafted. However, Nick would appear to be a genuine TC and as I see it, he is simply giving us the heads up.

He didn’t have to, he chose to. It’s not rocket science, if you ■■■■ up simply accurately record the event. If it’s a one off or you are a new driver etc you will not get in the excrement, get a grip.

This chap may well be a busy fella so here’s a thought…Let’s not bombard the guy with endless (and often boring & unintelligent) nonsense and let’s be grateful we have potential direct access to someone who actually knows the score ffs.

Lorry drivers are often viewed as thick, it would be a shame to substantiate that view directly. Welcome Nick. Did you ever get to race Bev in her Land Rover? She was hard to catch on the M58, I pulled the fuse in my solo tractor unit & still couldn’t get near her :wink:

To the OP can you get your officers on the ground to all sing off the same hymn sheet when it comes to ferry movements. Everytime I’m stopped at the end of the check yet another way to use the ferry mode is explained to me, last summer in Crick I was told to do it as follows, stop in lane enter end country, move onto ferry press ferry mode, press ferry mode again on leaving ferry finish break and enter start country, all fine except if you are driving onto the ferry outside of your 15 hours by entering fery mode after you get onto the ferry it will throw up an infringement of driving outside your spread, press it before moving and there is no infringement.
Two weeks ago my friend was stopped an Liverpool docks and told the following way was correct, stop in lane enter end country press ferry mode, move onto ferry press ferry mode, press ferry mode as you leave the ferry, finish rest enter begin country.
Surely all your officers should be using one method only as it seems each checkpoint has it’s own method I have had several ways explained to me and saying “Well that’s the way the last DVSA officer told me to do it” cuts no ice and can you also ensure that police officers even know what a ferry break is, the amount of times a policeman has downloaded the card come back to the lorry and told me I have total disregard for drivers hours and am looking at going to court. Turns rather sheepish when a diary is produced and about 10 ferry movements are shown to him.

Mazzer2:
To the OP can you get your officers on the ground to all sing off the same hymn sheet when it comes to ferry movements. Everytime I’m stopped at the end of the check yet another way to use the ferry mode is explained to me, last summer in Crick I was told to do it as follows, stop in lane enter end country, move onto ferry press ferry mode, press ferry mode again on leaving ferry finish break and enter start country, all fine except if you are driving onto the ferry outside of your 15 hours by entering fery mode after you get onto the ferry it will throw up an infringement of driving outside your spread, press it before moving and there is no infringement.
Two weeks ago my friend was stopped an Liverpool docks and told the following way was correct, stop in lane enter end country press ferry mode, move onto ferry press ferry mode, press ferry mode as you leave the ferry, finish rest enter begin country.
Surely all your officers should be using one method only as it seems each checkpoint has it’s own method I have had several ways explained to me and saying “Well that’s the way the last DVSA officer told me to do it” cuts no ice and can you also ensure that police officers even know what a ferry break is, the amount of times a policeman has downloaded the card come back to the lorry and told me I have total disregard for drivers hours and am looking at going to court. Turns rather sheepish when a diary is produced and about 10 ferry movements are shown to him.

Good point Mazzer 2 have had this a few times myself . Rightly or wrongly I start ferry mode as soon as I park up and end it just as I start my next shift . I keep the ferry mode symbol displayed all the way threw my daily rest and boat movements so it should be plainly obvious what was happening .

Mazzer2:

That sounds like a can of worms you`ve opened there!
I was getting lots of infringemnets flagged up, but now rarely get them.
Firstly about interrupting a daily rest after a 15?
Only a “regular daily rest” can be interrupted. So if “doing a 15” will need to have had a 3hr solid break during the day or else you are interrupting a reduced daily rest, which is a no-no.

The daily rest still needs to be completed 24hrs from the start of the shift. Even if it is split by ferry moves. That 24hr rule stands.
(Ignoring “15 spreads” for the moment)
If you start at 06hrs00 and arrive in the lanes at 18hrs30 and book off,for instance, you will not have 1hr movement available. There is 11hrs 30 until 06hrs00, that is 24hrs from shift start. To get your 11hrs rest in you can only have a total of 30mins interrption, be that in one or two slices.
To have your full 1 hr interruption available you need to limit to a 12hr spread. Start at 06hr00, book off in lanes at 18hrs00 and you`ll have time for 1hr of ferry movement plus your 1hrs daily rest before 06hrs00 the next day.

Ive got a Stoneridge Exact Duo Tacho. I arrive in lanes, book off including end country. When about to board hit ferry mode and 60mins will appear. (less if Ive gone over a 12hrs spread). That available time counts down from when the vehicle makes a move, not from the instant of hitting the button. On board, push button to get bed symbol back again, and daily rest continues.
To move off assuming daily rest not finished: enter ferry mode again. The countdown will be 60mins less the time taken to move on, (so might be 30mins or so left) again that doesnt countdown until the wheels turn. Off the boat, park until daily rest completed, and then book on in new country. Doing that Ive had no problems with analysis recently.

We run into Pompey a lot, and because of the Waterguard clearance time I wont normally board a ferry in France, until I know I can get off with my daily rest completed. It takes so long to debarque, Ill let one boat go, and catch a later one to keep it legal. Pain in the ■■■■, but better than a fine from the police or gendarme, be it weeks later.

That works for me, anyway.
(Touch wood :smiley: )

Ed to add:
gov.uk/guidance/drivers-hou … vers-hours
“Where the regular daily rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated daily rest period must still be at least 11 hours or 12 hours if split.”
“Any regular daily rest period that is interrupted must be completed within the 24-hour period (if single manned)”