Don't go to Somerfield RDC

orys:

1. Please, read the whole thread next time. You will know that this is depot where lorries from allover in Europe are coming, hence Polish, Spanish, French, German and some other translations. Imagine you’ll go to many places in Europe - noone would expect you to speak Italian, German, French, Portugeese, Polish, Czech, Bulgarian and Estonian, will they? From the same reason you can’t demand that Italians, Germans, French, Poles, Czechs, Bulgarians and Estonians will speak English when they are in their country. Therefore in places like that usually translations of some basic documents and notices are available. In most cases these are good translations. Sometimes the translations are bad. In Somerfield translation is so appaling, that it’s fun.

Having fully understood the thread in its entirety the first time , you ought to be thankfull that a translation of any quality is provided. I regularly tip around europe and find no English translations as are provided in the UK.

orys:
2. And not, English is not accepted as an international standard yet, altough ist most popular. French is also official language for proceedings in EU and most languages used in EU have equal status. So only practicality is helping you to choose which language to learn. In Poland, for example, plenty of people speaks Russian or German, as they finding it much more useful than English. And when we speak for the whole world, most common international language is Spanish.

The most commonly used language in the world may be Spanish, but I still stand by the fact that English is The Internationally recognised language. Just turn on a Radio reciever and listen. Aircraft, Shipping, Ham bands, the majority of communication around the world is conducted in English.

orys:
3. And if we are speaking about living somewhere abroad, you have my full support - I am also sharing your opinion that you SHOULD make some affort and learn at last basics of language spoken in place where you live and work (altough I would not tell drew128 to bugger of home becouse he don’t speak Polish yet). And it’s me saying that - I make money on that Polish morons, who can’t speak English. But at the same time I am annoyed that some of this cases are unnecessary paid from our (mine and yours) taxes.

Agreed, if only to be polite. My point was that your original post was derogatory to my country, a country which you exploit to earn a living, and therefore in my opinion should really not be ridiculing. I have no problem with anyone of any nation living in my country, if they love it like I do, but if not, I’m afraid it’s a case of if you don’t like it , bugger off home.

When I first went abroad over 30 years ago I could not speak a word of any other language only English.My first experience of difficulty was at Aachen border, where I was made to wait for long periods because I could not undestand what was being said.
I decided that they were right,I was in their country and should speak their language.
It as taken me a while but I now speak German almost fluently.
I say anyone who comes to Britain to work should be able to speak English.
How can Health and safety laws be adhered to by people who cant understand them.

Its in the UK so the notice would have to be in every language possible, perhaps even Martian, its all part of the multi-cultural over zealous health and safety/possible insurance payout culture that the UK is. I don’t see notices like this one in English here, I guess because people have some free thought to work the obvious out and probably not looking to blame all and sundry if it goes pear shaped. These notices are a product of all the adverts the Uk has were you get a chance to win a payout for being daft. It matters not the notices are in a multitude of different languages, its more a worry that you need them to get through a day.

In our toilets we have paper stuck to the walls for spent chewing gum, however the instructions are in about six languages, which does make me wonder about the quality of the work being done if people can’t read English. Although I will say that Anglophones are probably the most arrogant people for not learning other languages, only an English speaker would go to another country and expect them to speak his language.

Tramper:
Having fully understood the thread in its entirety the first time , you ought to be thankfull that a translation of any quality is provided. I regularly tip around europe and find no English translations as are provided in the UK.

I seen a lot translations in countries I were… But off course it may be true that not everywhere such translations are available. I have to agree with you that such translations might be good for two reasons:

• it’s polite towards foreign drivers
  • it’s help the depot staff who can’t speak foreign languages to communicate with foreign visitors who don’t speak their languages.

I dare to guess that such translations aren’t so popular in other countries as they are in UK, as in Europe knowledge of foreign languages is much mor common than in UK, when most people speaks English and English only, often with some local accent which makes understandig very difficult even to another anglophones.

The most commonly used language in the world may be Spanish, but I still stand by the fact that English is The Internationally recognised language. Just turn on a Radio reciever and listen. Aircraft, Shipping, Ham bands, the majority of communication around the world is conducted in English.

That’s true. Yet, the road haulage and distribution industry, unlike air traffic or sailing, has not yet established English as it’s official language.

Agreed, if only to be polite. My point was that your original post was derogatory to my country, a country which you exploit to earn a living, and therefore in my opinion should really not be ridiculing. I have no problem with anyone of any nation living in my country, if they love it like I do, but if not, I’m afraid it’s a case of if you don’t like it , bugger off home.

I don’t find it derogatory to any country, becouse it has nothing to do with country. I just think that this appaling translation is a shame for someone who provided it. So if you think that it is if some foreginer would having a laugh at some completely moronic translation, don’t blame this foreigner but the person who provided and/or accepted such bad translation. I would be also thankful if you won’t involve the nationality and emigration question to this thread. And, last but not least, I am not exploit this country. I am living here, working here, paying my taxes and taking part in it’s life, dare to tell that I am contributing to this society. If anything can be considered as derogative, I find that part of your message to be becouse I bet that if I would be a native Scotsman or Englishman, who speaks good Polish and having the same laugh and I had posted that thread you would not threat it as a derogative and would not ask me to bugger off. For your information: my girl teach Polish, she showed it to her Scottish student and as he speaks some Polish already he has as good laugh at it as we had.

rocky 7:
When I first went abroad over 30 years ago I could not speak a word of any other language only English.My first experience of difficulty was at Aachen border, where I was made to wait for long periods because I could not undestand what was being said.
I decided that they were right,I was in their country and should speak their language.
It as taken me a while but I now speak German almost fluently.
I say anyone who comes to Britain to work should be able to speak English.
How can Health and safety laws be adhered to by people who cant understand them.

Fully agreed with you for the case you went to Germany to work there. But if you travel allover Europe, you can’t be expected to speak all european languages.

I feel a “last word” competition coming on! :smiley: :smiley:

Don’t wanna wee wee on any bonfires here guys but I think you’ll find the most commonly spoken language in the world is Mandarin Chinese.

orys:
I would be also thankful if you won’t involve the nationality and emigration question to this thread. And, last but not least, I am not exploit this country. I am living here, working here, paying my taxes and taking part in it’s life, dare to tell that I am contributing to this society. If anything can be considered as derogative, I find that part of your message to be becouse I bet that if I would be a native Scotsman or Englishman, who speaks good Polish and having the same laugh and I had posted that thread you would not threat it as a derogative and would not ask me to bugger off.

Due to you being a Johnny Foreigner :laughing: you misunderstood the word Exploit. When used as a Verb Exploit means to utilize, as to exploit a business opportunity. which is undoubtedly what you me and everyone else does. It can also mean, which I believe was your understanding of how I used the word,
to use selfishly for one’s own ends. Oh, and your wrong on the Scotsman remark as well. I’m English and would definately treat a remark made by a Scot in the same vein, and certainly would issue the request that he Bugger of Home! :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:
I claim the last word…for now! :laughing:

Tramper:
Due to you being a Johnny Foreigner :laughing: you misunderstood the word Exploit. When used as a Verb Exploit means to utilize, as to exploit a business opportunity. which is undoubtedly what you me and everyone else does. It can also mean, which I believe was your understanding of how I used the word,
to use selfishly for one’s own ends. Oh, and your wrong on the Scotsman remark as well. I’m English and would definately treat a remark made by a Scot in the same vein, and certainly would issue the request that he Bugger of Home! :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:
I claim the last word…for now! :laughing:

Congratulations… OOOps I spoiled it :slight_smile:

As for exploitation - I might misunderstand you, but my dictionary gives your meaning of “exploit” as the second. First one is the one I was thinking about :slight_smile:

Sorry.

So, would you treat the Englishman the same way? :wink:

An unanswerable question, as an Englishman would already be Home. :sunglasses: :laughing:

Tramper:
An unanswerable question, as an Englishman would already be Home. :sunglasses: :laughing:

No, I meant: if there would be such bad translation in some ENGLISH RDC and some ENGLISHMAN who speaks Polish would write analogical post on trucknet.uk, would you accuse him of being derogatory to England?

Oh, I see. Well no, probably not. The best analogy I can offer is that it’s OK for you to slag your mother off, but woe betide anyone else who does it.
Yeah I know that a coach and horses can be driven through the logic of that, but hey, I never said I was perfect. Would you not feel agrieved if the generousity/hospitality of Poland were to be called into question?

Tramper:
Oh, I see. Well no, probably not. The best analogy I can offer is that it’s OK for you to slag your mother off, but woe betide anyone else who does it.
Yeah I know that a coach and horses can be driven through the logic of that, but hey, I never said I was perfect. Would you not feel agrieved if the generousity/hospitality of Poland were to be called into question?

This is not generousity or hospitality I questioned. I questioned quality of translation. And if there would be analogical situation that someone criticized some Polish efforts to provide English information If someone would have a fair point (as, for example, appaling English announcements in PoznaÅ„ main train station) I will have to agree with him, becouse I know he’s true. Off course, there can be an option, that I would not speak English and therefore I would not able to judge myself if they are good or not. But then I think English-speaker is the best person to tell me about quality of them. For sure I would not tell him “You should be happy that they tried to speak English at all! If you don’t like it, bugger off home!”. Why? Becouse I think if they decided to speak English, they should do it right. Do it right, or don’t do it at all - that’s my way of thinking.

I think it’s shame if in the over 500 000 city, popular tourist destination and transit station for Moscow-Berlin trains and which is very important place for international trade and business they can’t find someone who actually can speak English to read announcements on the train station (especially, that they are pre-recorded). For me it would be not important who pointed it out as long as he was right. And if I think the same way here, it’s a shame, that so big company as Somerfield used to be can’t pay 2 quids to the translation agency to provide proper multilanguage notices.

But I understand your point, altough I don’t agree with it. Thanks for a discussion :wink:

So, your just looking to make a couple of quid! Can’t argue with that! :laughing:
Be lucky Najlepsze życzenia w twoim przyjacielem Tramper (is that correct?) :laughing:

Tramper:
So, your just looking to make a couple of quid! Can’t argue with that! :laughing:
Be lucky Najlepsze życzenia w twoim przyjacielem Tramper (is that correct?) :laughing:

If you meant “Best wishes inside your best friend Tramper” yes, it’s correct :grimacing:

Well of course that’s what I ment, Inteligentne arse! :laughing: Safe trip drive. :sunglasses:

Hi Guys, new member. Thought as the only ex Somerfield (Wincanton) member here I would throw in my tuppence worth to this hilarious string. By the way we at the East Kilbride RDC were all made redundant and Dunfermiline has been kept on ( must have been in the translation) from East fife to Glaswegian:). I actuallyknow about this sign in question and it was done by a polish worker so iether he is a ■■■■■■ or taking the ■■■■, as i.ve left on monday I won’t even let them know they can keep it up and annoy our european “brothers”. By the way there is 120 drivers at this RDC which includes 1 polish guy a nice lad and 5 winging english, who keep complaining about Scotland but still stay here, funny that.

josier

josier:
Hi Guys, new member. Thought as the only ex Somerfield (Wincanton) member here I would throw in my tuppence worth to this hilarious string. By the way we at the East Kilbride RDC were all made redundant and Dunfermiline has been kept on ( must have been in the translation) from East fife to Glaswegian:). I actuallyknow about this sign in question and it was done by a polish worker so iether he is a ■■■■■■ or taking the ■■■■, as i.ve left on monday I won’t even let them know they can keep it up and annoy our european “brothers”. By the way there is 120 drivers at this RDC which includes 1 polish guy a nice lad and 5 winging english, who keep complaining about Scotland but still stay here, funny that.

josier

I can bet that it wasn’t done by Polish worker… :wink: If he wanted to do it properly, he would do it better even if he’s complete ■■■■■■. If he wanted to make it fun, it could be done much funnier :slight_smile:

I stand for that it’s computer translation word by word.

I’m begining to think that ORYS is maybe a scot, who is posing as a Pole by using a computer to translate English into Polish and then back to English, to complete the illusion…
yes, it all begins to make sense :wink: