DONT GIVE UP! You will get a job. :)

Hi everybody. This is just a quick post to all the recently qualified Class 2 (Cat C) drivers who are finding it hard to get work.

I passed my Cat C test back in Oct 2011 and, like everybody else, I started applying for Cat C driving work. I kept getting knocked back at every turn by employers who either didnt bother replying or sent back the “standard” reply of “Thankyou for your application. You have not been selected for interview on this occasion. We will keep you CV on file etc etc…”

I signed up with EVERY agency I could think of in the hope that one of them would give me a go. Most of them were like “Im sorry but we need someone with 2 years experience.” I knew it wouldnt be easy but how are you supposed to get experience without someone giving you a chance? Obviously everybody has to start somewhere! Well eventually I got the break I had been looking for. One agency said that they were of the opinion that new drivers shouldnt be discriminated against just because they have only just passed as at the end of the day you passed the test so why should they say you cant drive for a job? I was over the moon. Finally I was going to get some work.

Well as it happens, in the last 3 months I have had some work from them but it has really only been the odd day here and there. I was expecting more but at the end of the day it is all experience.

I have continued to apply for other jobs while being with the agency and FINALLY I have got a full time job driving Class 2 vehicles. Its with a good company who also have their own in-house training facilities which are recognised by the DSA so it all counts toward my CPC hours.

Its been a long and VERY disheartening journey to get where I am now but to all your newly qualified drivers I have one thing to say to you.

“DONT GIVE UP!!! APPLY EVERYWHERE!!! You WILL get your break in the end!”

once i got my first break i have never been out of work . driving trucks is in you or not !! some one once told me (in jest no dout) the first 10 years are the hardest !!! LETS HOPE THERE RIGHT!!!

Well said !

A big part of it is finding a good person in an agency that you get on with. Once you get that working and prove you can do the job and more importantly keep their customers happy you willbe away.

It has been known for those agency staff to move to another agency and take you with them.

I totally agree with Wermy, if you find a good person in an agency that you get on with and he open the doors to you the sky are the limit.

Yes I got some really good work, far better than some of the work out there.

If you can show that you can be trusted and work with the agencies customers then you are there. I used to get 3 days work on one contract and then that company would make sure they found me another 2 days workevery week. They knew if they didn’t do that then I would get put on other work and they would lose me.
Another is to be dragged off regular work to be sent to new customers.

If you are prepared to wear a uniform including a tie if necessary and can string a together a sentence without most of the words starting in ‘F’ then it is only a matter of time.
With the ramp up to Christmas starting then the work volumes will be increasing.

Keep us updated of your progress !