Don't drivers "tramp" anymore?

m.monster.co.uk/job-openings/170 … rdold=true

HGV Transporter Driver(s) - Roaming - Class 1 C+E - UK No.1 Vehicle Logistics Leader
Immingham (DN40)
Industry Leading Salary Package + Benefits

• Exciting opportunities for Class 1 Drivers. Shifts available are 4 on 4 off (nights out) and roaming and Monday – Friday roaming (nights out) -

It’s probably politically incorrect to say tramping now.

#TrampLivesMatter :unamused:

Copart have been advertising for “roamer” drivers for a while now. The powers that be probably deem it to be a lot more politically correct, less offensive, and or more squeaky clean, and likely to attract more interest.

Sure you did’nt misread that?.Maybe they meant ROMA drivers…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I’m a drifter.

If companies try making the job sound more appealing by dropping tramp and all the negative connotations associated with it, then I’d expect words such as voyager, itinerant, or excursionist. If they’re just going for political correctness, then they can’t do better than mobile displaced person. :neutral_face:

Roamer drivers doesn’t quite have the same ring to it. Just dolly HR staff that have eaten a thesaurus trying to spice up a job advert.

i used to be a "transcontinental logistics operative " :smiley: that translates to " I used to trail round Europe in a van " :blush: same job ,totally different job description

I have noticed quite a lot of drivers who are away all week on a set route claim to be tramping - I always thought tramping was not entirely knowing where your next load would be going other than you would be trying to find a load to somewhere near home for the friday ?

Bluey Circles:
I have noticed quite a lot of drivers who are away all week on a set route claim to be tramping - I always thought tramping was not entirely knowing where your next load would be going other than you would be trying to find a load to somewhere near home for the friday ?

That’s how I see it as well. Used to tramp years ago: leave the yard Sunday/ Early Monday and no one knew where and when my next pickup was and tip somewhere up country then phone the office for another load somewhere close to my first tip and generally do that all week, working my way back home for the Friday/ Saturday.

Bluey Circles:

It did, now its shorthand for being away all week :wink:

Bluey Circles:

A friend of mine is on Hargreaves. He leaves Harlow on a Monday, does 2/3 loads a day from Kettering to Wolves, has 4 nights in Cannock and comes home on a Friday. He thinks it’s tramping, I say it’s shunting :unamused:

OVLOV JAY:

Bluey Circles:

A friend of mine is on Hargreaves. He leaves Harlow on a Monday, does 2/3 loads a day from Kettering to Wolves, has 4 nights in Cannock and comes home on a Friday. He thinks it’s tramping, I say it’s shunting :unamused:

Yep I would say shunting if same places all the time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been in Volvo Coalville since Weds and should be leaving tomorrow, is that tramping? :laughing:

I did 3 days in Volvo Alfreton a few weeks back for a gearbox and have been to Volvo in Rotherham and Lincoln for lift axle airbags in the last couple of months. I might start a blog with reviews of these workshops, already judged the ones that didn’t give me a Volvo snack box.

mrginge:
I have been in Volvo Coalville since Weds and should be leaving tomorrow, is that tramping? :laughing:

I did 3 days in Volvo Alfreton a few weeks back for a gearbox and have been to Volvo in Rotherham and Lincoln for lift axle airbags in the last couple of months. I might start a blog with reviews of these workshops, already judged the ones that didn’t give me a Volvo snack box.

Bardon are ace. I had a spring break in the clutch plate at j24. Crouch took me there, and it had not long opened. They gave me a van to go for dinner, spent an hour or so in the workshop talking ■■■■■■■■, then used the massive washroom and showers upstairs, watched a bit of tv in reception before bunking down in an fh16 demo for the night. Couldn’t fault them

Pretty much what I’m up to. Watching tv and smashing down the free coffee and soup, went to mcdonalds earlier in one of there vans and depending on how the job goes now I might be in a demo truck for the night.

Crouch picked me up, dropped my trailer in their yard and then ran me up to the bp for food the other night as it was 1:00am.

I’m getting a bit of work done as my drive axle went on the move shifting sideways about 6-8"s and sheared a few bolts, airbags, inside tyre and one shock absorber amongst other things. Who would be an owner driver?

That will be a nice big bill on an older motor

Hopefully the people in charge of the money realise this and get me a truck on less then a million km’s :laughing:

I’m not like that Glory Boy character I don’t need a brand new truck.

mrginge:
Pretty much what I’m up to. Watching tv and smashing down the free coffee and soup, went to mcdonalds earlier in one of there vans and depending on how the job goes now I might be in a demo truck for the night.

Crouch picked me up, dropped my trailer in their yard and then ran me up to the bp for food the other night as it was 1:00am.

I’m getting a bit of work done as my drive axle went on the move shifting sideways about 6-8"s and sheared a few bolts, airbags, inside tyre and one shock absorber amongst other things. Who would be an owner driver?

There’s a pub five min walk from Volvo mate

Yeah but I was worried I might have to drive tonight, just found out they need to go to Coventry now for a part, so I’m going to jump in one of their new FM’s, horse ■■■■ I turned up in a knackered FH :sunglasses: