Don't Become A Statistic!

Goods vehicle occupants.
2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

Killed. 110 66 50 62 62

Serious injury. 747 619 556 509 473

slightly injured. 6959, 6158, 5656,5501, 5379

Source http://assets.dft.gov.uk/statistics/releases/reported-road-casualties-gb-main-results-2011/reported-road-casualties-in-great-britain-main-results-2011.pdf

Not very good reading, but not very many companies take these figures very seriosly in fact I have only seen 1 Co with hard hittng posters in there driver waiting rooms.
Its about time they did more to educate their drivers of the death and destruction a 44 tonne truck can cause in the wrong hands, as quite a few drivers have absolutly no idea of what there actions can result in!
Perhaps it could be down to bad tuition at an early stage of a drivers career, not being told of the damage a fully freighted truck can do.
I know some of these figures could be the result of falling ill at the wheel or mechanical faliure, but a high percentage will be human error, as in a rear end shunt, which is probably one of the largest results of death or serious injury and which can easily avoided.

weeto:
Goods vehicle occupants.
2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

Killed. 110 66 50 62 62

Serious injury. 747 619 556 509 473

slightly injured. 6959, 6158, 5656,5501, 5379

Source http://assets.dft.gov.uk/statistics/releases/reported-road-casualties-gb-main-results-2011/reported-road-casualties-in-great-britain-main-results-2011.pdf

Not very good reading, but not very many companies take these figures very seriosly in fact I have only seen 1 Co with hard hittng posters in there driver waiting rooms.
Its about time they did more to educate their drivers of the death and destruction a 44 tonne truck can cause in the wrong hands, as quite a few drivers have absolutly no idea of what there actions can result in!
Perhaps it could be down to bad tuition at an early stage of a drivers career, not being told of the damage a fully freighted truck can do.

I’m a trollyist, my enemy is death by boredom.
I know some of these figures could be the result of falling ill at the wheel or mechanical faliure, but a high percentage will be human error, as in a rear end shunt, which is probably one of the largest results of death or serious injury and which can easily avoided.

I was going to say on the previous post, I’m a trollyist the greatest threat to my life is death by boredom. Then I got to thinking are truck cabs crash tested with crumple zones and safety cells and such, there seems to be little mention of curtain airbags NCAP safety ratings.

When you see the state of the cab after an accident it’s a miracle drivers survive, consider how close you are to whatever you hit (no engine or even a bumper) at driver level it does warrant consideration.

Do you mean, something like This?

I bet where I work aren’t the only ones who go ■■■■ over h&s yet pay load bonus and say nowt about the teararses?

mike68:
I was going to say on the previous post, I’m a trollyist the greatest threat to my life is death by boredom. Then I got to thinking are truck cabs crash tested with crumple zones and safety cells and such, there seems to be little mention of curtain airbags NCAP safety ratings.

When you see the state of the cab after an accident it’s a miracle drivers survive, consider how close you are to whatever you hit (no engine or even a bumper) at driver level it does warrant consideration.

We had a driver rear end another truck in a 113 scania no idea speed or what he hit, but he managed to rip the cab off the mounting, but that cab was still square and the doors still opened, had the displeasure of going and emptying the cab out for him, driver wasnt badly injured but the truck was written off.
Wouldn’t want to fancy me chanced in an ERF or a Foden!!