Domestic driving hours and eu driving hours question

Hi

I work for a recovery firm, and usually work “out of scope” but this week have driven out of our designated area so used the tachograph for the first time.

My question is, am I required to use the tachograph for the rest of the week, even whilst driving in our area. Or is it just the eu weekly rest periods I need to abide by?

I always keep a record of hours driven, with and without the tachograph.

Jake9119:
Hi

I work for a recovery firm, and usually work “out of scope” but this week have driven out of our designated area so used the tachograph for the first time.

My question is, am I required to use the tachograph for the rest of the week, even whilst driving in our area. Or is it just the eu weekly rest periods I need to abide by?

I always keep a record of hours driven, with and without the tachograph.

All the domestic hours in that week will count as other work for the EU regs and for that week all rest periods must be observed

Is it a digi or analogue tacho ?

Hi rog,

Thank you for the quick reply. It’s a digital tachograph. The first day i worked this week was the Tuesday, and that was when I went out of area. So no work prior to that to record.

I’ve continued to use the tachograph yesterday and today even though I haven’t been out of area. Because I was unsure whether I was required to use it till the end of the working week. I have weekends off anyway, so that would be my required weekly rest.

Would the rest periods also include breaks?

You only need to use the tachograph on days that you drive in-scope of EU regulations, you will need to keep a record of work done on other work days but you do anyway so that’s not a problem, if you do enough driving presumably you’re using a log book.

You need to have the required daily rest period only on the days you drive in-scope of EU regulations, you will need to comply with the weekly rest period requirement but as you have weekends off that’s not a problem anyway.

This may be of help

gov.uk/government/publicati … cles-in-gb

Thanks guys. I’ve already read all of the rules regarding it.

I was only querying it because when I did my cpc I’m 99% sure the guy there said, once you use your tachograph card once for the week, you have to continue using it. But I might have got it all wrapped around my head a little.

Thanks for the help

Jake9119:
I was only querying it because when I did my cpc I’m 99% sure the guy there said, once you use your tachograph card once for the week, you have to continue using it.

I’ve heard/read this before but there’s certainly no truth in it, you have to use the tachograph when you’re in-scope of EU regulations but it’s up to you and your boss whether or not you use it when on domestic regulations.

When using a digital tachograph whilst on domestic regulations you should put the tachograph on “out or scope”.

If I was using a digi vehicle then I would use the digi in out of scope for domestic regs