Domestic drivers hours help needed

Hi guys i have been refered here to you from ROG in the new and wannabee driver section.
I am a new driver and have just started work as a class 2 bin lorry driver. now the question i have is what rest breaks do i need to take as there is no tacho?? is it still after 4.5 hrs 45 mins or can i split to a 15 min then a 30 min later at what time?? help needed please. :confused:

If no taco then all you will be under is the WTD rules so dont have to have a break till 6 hours work then 30 min break i think but binmen tend to spend a hour in the cafe somewhere lol

thanks tony. i feel happier now :smiley: . cos i have a run sheet each day i hand in do i need a seperate log book?? :confused:

briandavies158:
Hi guys i have been refered here to you from ROG in the new and wannabee driver section.
I am a new driver and have just started work as a class 2 bin lorry driver. now the question i have is what rest breaks do i need to take as there is no tacho?? is it still after 4.5 hrs 45 mins or can i split to a 15 min then a 30 min later at what time?? help needed please. :confused:

Unless there’s an exemption for bin lorries (I don’t think there is) you will be working to domestic regulations which as far as I can see doesn’t stipulate break times.

However under domestic regulations you’re restricted to 11 hours duty time and 10 hours driving time in any working day, you’re exempt form the 11 hours duty limit if you don’t drive during the day or if you drive for less than 4 hours on each day of the week.

For domestic rules driving time is any-time when you’re at the controls of the vehicle with the engine running regardless of weather or not the vehicle is moving.

Also you won’t be subject to the WTD for mobile workers so the 6 hour rule as we know it won’t come into effect, I believe that for the general WTD you’re not expected to work over 6 hours without a break of at least 20 minutes.

For further information on domestic rules see page 24.
Also see “Record keeping on page 25”