Doing my Class 2

Evil8Beezle:

UselessForce:
Going to need it Beez! I too wish you the very best of luck with that pal!! [emoji57]

No it will be fine mate, he’s got a cousin grossing 50k a year, and home by 6pm every night! :laughing:

Are you also thinking this? :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t take it personally OP, but at 21 do you possibly think your young peer group maybe like to big things up to prove themselves?
Giving it Billy big ■■■■■■■■ to impress others? :laughing:

Your cousin has either the best truck driving job on the planet, or isn’t giving the full picture…
Assuming you’ve actually seen his pay slips? :wink:

This is exactly what I’m thinking as well mate![emoji23] also without wishing to cause offence o/p but far to many newbies believe so much about this industry that have never experienced it before. You’ll have a nasty shock if you are joining for financial gain only but you’ll find out in due course pal.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:

RyanPP:

Evil8Beezle:

RyanPP:
From what I heard there was a driver shortage in the UK or will be in near future so companies are taking in the younger generation now?

It would feel bad to laugh! :open_mouth:

Sorry mate but you’re falling for the hype then! :neutral_face:
The industry wants you to think that, as a plentiful supply of steering wheel attendants keeps wages/overheads low. :wink:

If you think that there is a shortage and don’t know upfront about the sacrifices of the job, I suggest you hold off paying for your training and read these forums for a while mate! :smiley:

Long days, unsociable hours, poor T&C’s, the list goes on…

Here’s a taster: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=146687

Must depend on who you go to? My cousin drives and is on around £780 take home a week and all local driving and home by 6 everyday. I’m doing skip driving which is £110-130 a day 7:30- 5

Best of luck then…

Can’t say you didn’t try…

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Evil8Beezle:

RyanPP:

Evil8Beezle:
I think the theory questions are the least of your worries pal! :smiley:

You should be asking yourself what you’re going to be retraining as in 10-15 years, when the job has probably become highly automated? :open_mouth:

Say I’m trying to put you off driving if you like, but at 21 with your whole career in front of you, shouldn’t you be looking at something that’s a bit more future proof?

Because I’ve got a family at this age, haven’t got time to go to college as of yet. My hgv is a backup plan incase I’m ever out of work which I am now! As long as I’m earning a steady income I’ll be okay. I was doing Wall cladding but not enough work…

Also I think it will take longer then 10-15 years, motorways sure they can ace it maybe but rural streets, etc? Not for along time

Fair enough pal, only trying to give you some food for thought…

Yes there will be some trucking work still about, but surely you can’t deny that to some proportion it will be automated?
My crystal ball is a bit hazy but I foresee less driver demand, which is never good in regard to wages…

The problem you have Evil is what work will there be at all? Have you seen this morning report that 50% of jobs in Scotland could go by 2030?

I was talking to a guy at work a few months ago and he said had seen a program saying the same thing about Australia by 2050.

If this is the case what jobs are left and what will they pay? Assuming next to nothing who is paying tax to pay for the benefits of everyone else?

The guy at work said he could see governments outlawing technology as the unemployment could lead to civil unrest as so many people will be left with nothing to lose. I am not sure I agree with that but things could get very sticky.

Finally I read a article on Facebook this morning (can’t find it now to link) that there have never been so many leaders without children. Sturgeon, Merkel, president of Finland and macron if he wins in France. It made an interesting point about your outlook without children and that you don’t worry about the world you leave behind. I think Merkel will go down in history as destroying Europe and wonder if she would have made the same decisions with children and grandchildren to think about.

Sorry if that’s a bit political for a Sunday afternoon

kcrussell25:

Evil8Beezle:

RyanPP:

Evil8Beezle:
I think the theory questions are the least of your worries pal! :smiley:

You should be asking yourself what you’re going to be retraining as in 10-15 years, when the job has probably become highly automated? :open_mouth:

Say I’m trying to put you off driving if you like, but at 21 with your whole career in front of you, shouldn’t you be looking at something that’s a bit more future proof?

Because I’ve got a family at this age, haven’t got time to go to college as of yet. My hgv is a backup plan incase I’m ever out of work which I am now! As long as I’m earning a steady income I’ll be okay. I was doing Wall cladding but not enough work…

Also I think it will take longer then 10-15 years, motorways sure they can ace it maybe but rural streets, etc? Not for along time

Fair enough pal, only trying to give you some food for thought…

Yes there will be some trucking work still about, but surely you can’t deny that to some proportion it will be automated?
My crystal ball is a bit hazy but I foresee less driver demand, which is never good in regard to wages…

The problem you have Evil is what work will there be at all? Have you seen this morning report that 50% of jobs in Scotland could go by 2030?

I was talking to a guy at work a few months ago and he said had seen a program saying the same thing about Australia by 2050.

If this is the case what jobs are left and what will they pay? Assuming next to nothing who is paying tax to pay for the benefits of everyone else?

The guy at work said he could see governments outlawing technology as the unemployment could lead to civil unrest as so many people will be left with nothing to lose. I am not sure I agree with that but things could get very sticky.

Finally I read a article on Facebook this morning (can’t find it now to link) that there have never been so many leaders without children. Sturgeon, Merkel, president of Finland and macron if he wins in France. It made an interesting point about your outlook without children and that you don’t worry about the world you leave behind. I think Merkel will go down in history as destroying Europe and wonder if she would have made the same decisions with children and grandchildren to think about.

Sorry if that’s a bit political for a Sunday afternoon
[/quote]

Far too political!

Deserves a lifetime ban :wink:

kcrussell25:

Have you been talking to Juddian? :smiley:

You’re probably not wrong that there is going to be mass unemployment, and how that pans out is anyone’s guess! :confused:
Again the soothsayers sphere is a little hazy, but it’s fair to say some jobs/skills are going to be less replaceable than others, so I’m just saying don’t stand at the front of the queue! :laughing:

Evil8Beezle:

kcrussell25:

Have you been talking to Juddian? :smiley:

You’re probably not wrong that there is going to be mass unemployment, and how that pans out is anyone’s guess! :confused:
Again the soothsayers sphere is a little hazy, but it’s fair to say some jobs/skills are going to be less replaceable than others, so I’m just saying don’t stand at the front of the queue! :laughing:

I have to be fair that he talks a lot of sense :slight_smile:

I agree that none of us know how things will go but unlikely to be pretty!

I am learning simply because it is a way I can earn decent money without going back to college to learn a trade which I can’t afford to do.

Maybe it will see me to retirement (currently 34) or probably not however facing redundancy now it is a case of deal with now and see how things go. Maybe in a few years seeing how things are going will look for something else but it will do for the minute

kcrussell25:
Maybe it will see me to retirement (currently 34) or probably not however facing redundancy now it is a case of deal with now and see how things go. Maybe in a few years seeing how things are going will look for something else but it will do for the minute

There’s the difference between you and the OP…
Yes you’re still quite young, but getting past the age of maybe taking an apprenticeship in something possibly a bit more future proof, and hard to automate. Couple that with it requiring a professional qualification to protect the wage a bit, gas fitting and electrical work comes to mind. But there are many more trades that are hard to automate, as the conditions/variables change all the time…

That is until the great Utopia comes, and we can sit around all day with robots serving us! :sunglasses:
Yeah right… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In regard to job losses in general, from what I’ve seen truck driving doesn’t even get a mention, as they say it’s the paper pushers, admin staff and lower management that do repetitive tasks that have the most to fear. AI being their nemesis as programmers write more and more complex algorithms that learn and improve, so here comes SKYNET! :open_mouth: (Terminator reference… :smiley: )

We’ve things like the Amazon Echo now, along with Siri on Apple…
And once we can have a semi intelligent request protocol conversation with a computer, who needs call centre staff? :open_mouth:

Oh the world is going to be wonderful when we can all go and play golf all day! :grimacing:

Hell, the OP only asked about revising and training schools and the threads near enough turned into them being exterminated by an Aldi pallet truck that’s gone rogue once the machines rise up!

Though good points made that’d you’ll probably not be bringing in as big a wage as you’d like, i think full automation is a fair way off, still gotta work until John Conor needs you on the frontline, and if you’ll enjoy driving may as well give it a try.

As said there’s Scania in milton keynes Hughes driver training at junction 13 the Crawley crossing ,heard mixed views on them, new drivers that come into work seem to say good things about CTT in Leighton Buzzard not too far for the OP.