Doing Mod 4 before ANY Mod 3

Hello,

I’ve done my mod 1 and 2 and booked my mod 3 for March but the company has booked my mod 4 before it. I was just wondering if this will be an issue? I’ve tried searching and can only find threads from 2009 and they all say they haven’t revealed the exact questions that will be in the test.

I’ve only done an assessment drive and no proper lesson, they said I will have a single lesson before the test (3 days before). Is 1 lesson enough to teach a complete noob the necessities to pass?

Is there anywhere I can learn most of it on the net? I’m not too hopeful about this single lesson.

(I read on one of the threads that some of it will be about loads and fixing it down and such, straps, ratchet bar things and ropes. I’ve never touched any of this, like I said I’ve only ever done the assessment drive).

Thank you for any help guys and girls :slight_smile:

With a good trainer you’ve nothing to worry about. We regularly do Mod 4 before Mod 3 and achieve 100% test passes most of the time.

The beauty of doing the tests this way round is that you can start work immediately on passing your driving test.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

There are some videos on Youtube about mod 4, have a look at some of these and it should give you a good idea of what it’s about.

Driver CPC Module 4

LGV Driver CPC Demonstration Video

Driver cpc module 4

Dolly Knot and Driver CPC

Plenty of others here

Cheers for the replies Peter and tacograph, I feel a bit better now and hopefully the lesson should allow me a pass.

I’ll certainly watch those videos, cheers :slight_smile:

I think when I did my training for mod 4, it was about an hour during the main driver training and is dead easy. Plus the examiners give hints even if they can’t actually give you the answers. Only thing you must remember is to enter and exit the vehicle facing into the cab with 3 points of contact - absolute must.

Overall, don’t stress about it even if while you’re being shown things it might seem a lot to take in.

trevHCS:
I think when I did my training for mod 4, it was about an hour during the main driver training and is dead easy. Plus the examiners give hints even if they can’t actually give you the answers. Only thing you must remember is to enter and exit the vehicle facing into the cab with 3 points of contact - absolute must.

Overall, don’t stress about it even if while you’re being shown things it might seem a lot to take in.

Cheers for the reply, I feel better now people are saying it’s easy.

The trolley thing with all the fixings on it seems to be the only thing I’m worrying about at the minute, but even that doesn’t look too difficult. Dolly knot seems a bit to remember but hopefully after actually doing it I will remember it easily.

Don’t even think about the dolly knot. The question that relates to that is about securing palletised paper. You have a choice in front of you of 4 securing methods: rope, strap, chains, load-lock bar. Choose strap. You will then have to demonstrate that. Mention rope and you’ll demonstrate that.

In other words, totally ignore the rope.

If you want to learn how to tie a dolly knot, ask your trainer. But there is no need to get involved for purposes of Mod 4.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Don’t even think about the dolly knot. The question that relates to that is about securing palletised paper. You have a choice in front of you of 4 securing methods: rope, strap, chains, load-lock bar. Choose strap. You will then have to demonstrate that. Mention rope and you’ll demonstrate that.

In other words, totally ignore the rope.

If you want to learn how to tie a dolly knot, ask your trainer. But there is no need to get involved for purposes of Mod 4.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers for that info Peter :slight_smile: I seen in the video that they ask a question and then you choose the method, but I thought it could be any question, I wasn’t aware it was likely or definitely gonna be the paper one.

Cheers :slight_smile:

There are three questions as part of Section 1, which require you to demonstrate using the trolley.

First you must pick the correct device, depending upon which material you are carrying:

Palletised Paper > Ratchet Straps (or dolly knot if you’re feeling confident!)

Steel Plates > Chains & Tensioner

Steel Cages > Load Lock Bar

Then demonstrate competence in securing, then releasing, chosen device.

You will also be asked where on the vehicle you will place the load > Evenly distributed between the axles, on the bed of the vehicle.

If you have booked with a reputable firm, they should have a trolley to use for practice purposes.

HTH!

BishBashBosh:
There are three questions as part of Section 1, which require you to demonstrate using the trolley.

First you must pick the correct device, depending upon which material you are carrying:

Palletised Paper > Ratchet Straps (or dolly knot if you’re feeling confident!)

Steel Plates > Chains & Tensioner

Steel Cages > Load Lock Bar

Then demonstrate competence in securing, then releasing, chosen device.

You will also be asked where on the vehicle you will place the load > Evenly distributed between the axles, on the bed of the vehicle.

If you have booked with a reputable firm, they should have a trolley to use for practice purposes.

HTH!

Cheers for the helpful reply :slight_smile:

The load placement seems worrying, unless it’s as simple as saying what you just wrote. I feel if he asked me to point out exactly where to put a load of sheeting I’d panic. I’m generally good at remembering stuff until it matters. Although didn’t do too bad on the theory so hopefully I remember the info off you guys and from that video.

(That video from E.P. Training is amazing btw, the presenter, Sean, is so clear and great to learn from, so thanks again for linking it tacograph).

Just thought I’d update for any people in the same boat that end up here through searching.

Just took the test, easy enough, remembered all the questions and got 100%, test only lasted 10 minutes.

Cheers for all your help guys, Mod 3 next :slight_smile: