Doing extra work for an agency

I’m full time employed Monday to Friday and I’m thinking of doing a saturday a month for an agency to top up my wages a little bit. my full time job have said yes no problem. How does that work with tax etc or is it more hassle than it’s worth?

You will be taxed on everything you earn which given you’re in full-time employment anyway and already exceeding the personal allowance in that would mean you’re paying just the same as you would if your pay was increased in your main job by what you earn on agency. Some people seem incapable of understanding this simple concept and think they should be getting the same tax free allowance on every single when they work for more than one employer.

When you start ask them for a P46 and tick box C which is “I have another job or receive a state or occupational pension”.

Cheers for that so basically you pay the same amount of tax and you will get taxed as normal on both wages?

Or find a gig paying cash in hand and no-ones any the wiser

I drive a day a week to top up my wages. My main job is on a 0.8 contract; basically four days a week. The tax arrangements are very simple; just as Connor describes. You must declare both jobs and complete the inland revenue documentation. Saturday work is relatively easy to get if you can drive C+E. The supermarkets, retail operations, bakeries and dairies all need part time Saturday and Sunday drivers. The main hassle is recording your other work for possible inspection by DVSA. You must get your minimum weekly rests taken and recorded. It is recommended that you do this on blank tachograph roll. I also keep a driving diary and staple the old tacho rolls onto my timesheets. Probably over the top but better safe than sorry. You must have a record of other work recorded for the week you drive. You don’t have to store old stuff but I keep it all for the current year in a plastic wallet in my driving bag. My main recommendations if you fancy driving part time are to keep your hours up; you get rusty quickly. Driving large vehicles is a knack; it is easily lost; trucks are potentially highly dangerous. I’m not sure one day a month is enough. Also avoid umbrella schemes; many agencies will try to persuade you to join one. The cut taken will not make the work worthwhile for odd days driving; it is PAYE or nothing. In the budget it looked clear than the revenue will be getting stuck into the Umbrella schemes; best avoid rather than get a nasty bill.

It all depends on what your total annual income amounts to. If you stay below the 40% bracket then you will be taxed at 20% on both jobs but your personal allowance will only apply to your main income!!

Make sure that you tell the tax man direct that you have secondary employment or it screws the whole thing up!!

Make sure your mon-fri boss allows other work.

Baldy91:
Cheers for that so basically you pay the same amount of tax and you will get taxed as normal on both wages?

Yes. If you have one job paying £20,000 and second job paying £4,000 you’d pay no more than you would if you had one job paying £24,000.

rambo19:
Make sure your mon-fri boss allows other work.

Did you not read the OP ? Where he states clearly … His full time employer has said YES it would be OK .

Just read that the p46 form is no longer used

Tax-wise, it’s quite simple. Ask your part-time employer to use “tax code BR”. That means that all your earnings will be taxed at 20%, with zero tax-free allowance. Provided your total earnings don’t push you into the higher rate band (typically somewhere around £40k gross), that means you’ll get taxed correctly. If you are pushed into the higher rate band, the best course of action is to contact HMRC at the end of the year with the details from your P60, and you’ll have to pay some extra tax on the money you earned during the year.

National insurance-wise, you get a separate allowance per job. You’re unlikely to get paid enough to pay much NI, if you have to pay any at all. This should all get sorted automatically by the employer’s PAYE system.