Doing Class 1

I’ve not long past my Class 2 but the type of work that is readily available for Class 2 is not something I want to do. I do get chance to do 3 days of RDC running from Lincoln to London and I had a ball. It felt so much nicer to do instead of multidrop, getting in and out, dealing with people complaining about this and that.

What is different driving Class 1 compared to Class 2? I was speaking to some drivers when I was at those RDC’s and they said not to bother driving rigid’s anymore and jump straight into Class 1 stuff. They also said Class 1’s were easier to drive compared to rigids.

Is it even worth doing my Class 1 now because in January I’m planning to leave for America to study for a year, maybe two years. Would that have any bearing if I did decide to settle Stateside?

UK LGV entitlements are not transferrable to US ones so if intending to move to the states permanently then don’t bother

If you think that you will use CE in the UK at some point in the future then get it now

UK LGV entitlements are not transferrable to US ones so if intending to move to the states permanently then don’t bother

If you think that you will use CE in the UK at some point in the future then get it now

+1

Just to add that Class 1 is always easier work for more money. Far fewer collections/deliveries as a rule.

In my book, no brainer - subject to the US bit.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Radar19:
What is different driving Class 1 compared to Class 2? I was speaking to some drivers when I was at those RDC’s and they said not to bother driving rigid’s anymore and jump straight into Class 1 stuff. They also said Class 1’s were easier to drive compared to rigids.

It’s an interesting debate whether they are actually easier, or whether by the time you get to class 1 you have got more experience so everything is easier.
Some turns are definitely easier in an artic and the tail swing is different. Reversing them is probably the main difference and takes getting used to. The first time you turn left in an artic and look in the big mirror and can’t see the back wheels is a bit of a shock!

What I meant by “easier” was the actual work regarding the load rather than the ease or otherwise of actually driving the vehicle. Clearly it takes more skill to handle an artic than a rigid though the whole thing does get easier with practice.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Each licence category covers a multitude of industries. You have to choose a driving job that is compatible with your life style.

Even though I had a CE licence I chose to take a C driving job delivering timber for many years as I wanted a 8-5 job so I could be home every night to spend time with my young family.

Regarding Pete’s comments about “more skill is needed for an artic” both categories offer challenges depending on the situation your in. Observation is the key!

Hope this advice helps

Paul :smiley:

I think its worth while having c+e. At least you wont be restricted always to c. As above… i found c+e far easier than c. Reversing you just need to take very very slowly. As c+e is easier to kick out when reversing. Do it slow and you correct this. Good luck :smiley: