Doing C+E near Bedford

Hi all, new here. Does anybody have any recommendations for C+E training near Bedford?

Whilst I’m here I’ll tell my story to maybe encourage anybody who is thinking of getting their LGV license. I came back from mobilised service with the TA in 2005 and wanted to get a skill that would give me flexibilty to do other things whilst still paying a reasonably wage. If I had still been living in the London area I good have gone back to being a motorcycle courier, something I did for nearly ten years, back in another life. But that wasn’t possible in Suffolk so I decided to gat my ‘C’ license. Trouble was I didn’t have a car license. So I did my car test in Nov '05 and my LGV training in Jan '06! A crazy result of this is that most van driving jobs seem to stipulate that a person has held a (car) driving license for a year or two, so I would have struggled to get a job driving a transit but got work driving LGV straight away! Another bizarre thing is that I don’t have D1 on my license, so I can legitmately get in a 32 tonne tipper but I can’t drive a 13 seater minibus.

Whilst agency work near Lowestoft wasn’t so very thick on the ground, at least it did keep me working, and during a brief time in Nottingham getting 18 tonne multi-drop was no probs at all.

I’ve now been doing charity work in Beds for a few months, which is drawing to a close and I’ve amazed friends by having work lined up straight away with no problem at all.

I’ve been a post-man, a courier, a soldier and now a lorry driver, and whilst I’ve worked inside, and in offices too, I’ve always been one to get out and about. So if your at all like that, get a lorry license. At worst you’ll have a skill you can always fall back on, at best you’ll a have a career for life.

And like squaddies and couriers, you have the right to winge vociferously, so cue some old stagers who are about to tell newbies about all the bad bits. :laughing:

Welcome again GrahamB :slight_smile:
There are a lot of LGV training schools in the Northampton area who test out of Weedon. I do not have pesonnal experience of them so cannot give you a recommedation but I am sure there are others on here that can.
Good luck with your C+E - by the way, they bend :exclamation: :wink: :wink:

I took my Class 1 in '87 with

Commercial Transport Training Ltd
Kings Farm Est/Stanbridge Road
Leighton Buzzard, LU7 9JH
01525 370862

They were very good then and I have only heard good things about them from people who have trained with them in recent years.

Good luck with your training.

ROG:
by the way, they bend

Well… I once rented a Kawasaki GT550 that turned out to have a broken frame :exclamation: :open_mouth: So I’m not completely inexperienced with bendy machines :laughing:

Thanks for the advice Rog and Coffee, I’ll be ringing around tomorrow to get quotes.

I’ve heard very good things about Wise Knight, although I have never had any direct dealing with them myself.

I feel sure it was these guys who, when I was at Exel for Argos Direct at Marsh Leys, that Exel were using to train our 7.5t home delivery lads up to C, and on to C+E.

Can personally recommend Mike at Wise Knight. he got me thru Cat C and is well worth going with.

I’m sad I moved away from area as I’d go back to him to do C&E.

All the best at Weedon !

malc7:
Can personally recommend Mike at Wise Knight. he got me thru Cat C and is well worth going with.

I’m sad I moved away from area as I’d go back to him to do C&E.

All the best at Weedon !

I got a lot of my early tips for my current job from Mike and met a lot of his trainees - never any complaints - that was in 2005

Found this:-
cb
Gold Member
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 13:19 pm Post subject:

Cost me about £1300 for both my C and C+E back to back with this firm Bedfordshire area.

threecounties-training.co.uk/

Both were a 5 day course test on 5th day instructors where knowledge able and would spend however long it took to get the manovers mastered.

Would recommend them to anyone that is thinking of doing licences