Doing a print-out on digi tachograph

I had a manager ask me the other day if I had ever done a print-out on my digi-tachograph unit at some point recently. I said I had but it was only for the purpose of checking break times. Nothing particularly important. He said that it should have been handed into the TM as if VOSA would do a check they would know that a print-out had been made and could ask what had happened to it etc. Is this really the case? I hadn’t heard of that before. I understand that if you need to make a written entry on the back of the digi paper then that’s the case but not for a reason like I just recounted. Thanks for any replies.

Your TM needs a refresher course.

He’s right , other than doing a printout for going over hours etc I can’t think why you’d need to do a printout ( you can see all info on tacho without doing a printout ) , so if you do a printout it would be for over hours etc / write on back so should be handed in , one for you / one for office to go with infringement sheet
Nb printer rolls arnt cheap !!

As above ^^^^. As an aside, and without attempting to teach the OP to ■■■■ eggs it’s possible to check your daily activity by interrogating the tacho directly without wasting expensive tacho paper. The display will tell you everything that a printout will.

In the 18 months that I’ve been driving “my” current vehicle I’ve done one printout yet have replaced the tacho roll three times! This for some reason ■■■■■■ me right off and is a result of some drivers still insisting that they should do a printout at the end of each shift. Totally unnecessary.

I’m not convinced the tacho even records if a printout has been made. The information is there to read or display. More likely someone has complained about insufficient roll left or something.

If you have printed out and gotten to the part of the roll with a faint pink line on it and not replaced the roll, that is poor.

An analogy might be a flatmate that uses all the toilet roll, never buys any and leaves an empty roll on the holder all the time.

Edit: I can’t spell

the maoster:
As above ^^^^. As an aside, and without attempting to teach the OP to ■■■■ eggs it’s possible to check your daily activity by interrogating the tacho directly without wasting expensive tacho paper. The display will tell you everything that a printout will.

In the 18 months that I’ve been driving “my” current vehicle I’ve done one printout yet have replaced the tacho roll three times! This for some reason ■■■■■■ me right off and is a result of some drivers still insisting that they should do a printout at the end of each shift. Totally unnecessary.

I would be interested to know how to interrogate the tacho to find out the time of my last break for purposes of my next wtd break?

stu675:

the maoster:

I would be interested to know how to interrogate the tacho to find out the time of my last break for purposes of my next wtd break?

Main menu, scroll to display driver, choose the day and whether to display in UTC. Then you scroll through the the day line by line and it is exactly what is displayed on a printout. Occasionally useful if you didn’t remember to write down your last break.

Noremac:

stu675:

the maoster:

Main menu, scroll to display driver, choose the day and whether to display in UTC. Then you scroll through the the day line by line and it is exactly what is displayed on a printout. Occasionally useful if you didn’t remember to write down your last break.

I mever knew that, its right what they say…

You learn something new everyday!!! :smiley:

the maoster:

'Tis true. The only times your NEED to do printouts are (i) to explain an infringement or (ii) when Plod/DVSA tell you to do one. When I was an agency driver I always did one at the end of a shift, that was to stop some numpty in the office claiming I was driving a particular vehicle on the day an infringement was recorded.

I deliver TM Refreshers quite regularly and it’s shocking how many TMs have whacky ideas about what must be done and how it should be done.

Anyone know where driver activity is in a Volvo?

Speedy Duck:

If you keep pressing buttons you will find it as I did…not sure it was worth saving paper for though. Tedious, difficult to understand and random to find.

Speedy Duck:

First you need to identify the tacho manufacturer, not the vehicle manufacturer. If it’s not written on the front of the tacho (very common), on a printout it should indicate the tacho manufacturer and model Number. Then you can search online for a manual for that tacho type

Thank you all for all your helpful replies. I was on a vehicle with a Stoneridge Tachograph and I was a little unfamiliar. Something had confused me regarding the breaks. I have forgotten what it was now. But I was asked by the manager who’s involved with ‘Compliance’ I think his role is, if I had done any print-outs recently. I said ‘yes’ and he asked what I had done with it? He claimed that Vosa or a Police officer would know if I had done a printout. I don’t have too much faith in what he says hence my question here. :slight_smile:

Fragonard:
I don’t have too much faith in what he says :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t either, he’s a tuckfard