DOG ON ROAD.

Had to slam the brakes on this morning as there was a dog in the road,thankfully missed the dog and everything was ok :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: BUT IF I HAD HIT THE DOG ,THEN I GET IT AS THE DRIVER …should the owners of dogs be more accountable for their animals ,cos when accidents happen POLICE usually want a scalp… :cry: :cry: :unamused: :unamused: ANYBODY HEARD OF A DOG OWNER BEING PROSECUTED :unamused:

I dare say if the dog was microchipped, (Like my dog.) then the rozzers would have been able to trace the owner but I think a prosecution would be unlikely. I certainly haven’t heard of anyone getting done for it.

But do turn your caps lock off old boy.

Ken.

I unfortunately killed a dog similarly a few years back, lovely animal too, its just one of those things, dog saw its human next door neighbour mate over the road and dashed across to see him straight under my front axle depite my full bore braking.

Would it have done any good to prosecute the distraught owners who took their severely injured dog to the vet only for the vet to have to destroy him due to severe internal injuries?

If you kill a dog, goat, horse, cattle, ■■■, mule, sheep or pig (but not a cat) while driving a vehicle then you have to report it to the Police but you would never be prosecuted for it.

There was a gun dog running loose on the A17 between Newark and Sleaford yesterday. Complete with a right prick in full hunting gear on horseback, trying to round it up :laughing:

Harry Monk:
If you kill a dog, goat, horse, cattle, ■■■, mule, sheep or pig (but not a cat) while driving a vehicle then you have to report it to the Police but you would never be prosecuted for it.

funny you should say that harry.
about 5 yrs ago i was driving a van down a lane in tenbury wells and ran over a cat. the woman behind me reported me to the locals who stopped me as i was leaving the drop i was doing in tenbury. the young occifer cautioned me for hitting the cat and told me to expect a summons for failing to stop. me being me and knowing that the letter of the law classes cats as vermin requested to speak to his superior, who duly came out and gave him a right bollocking in front of me and made him appologise to me for wasting my time. after that for some strange reason every time this occifer saw me he pulled me over for a document check/or what ever excuse he thought of at the time. in the space of 2 months i was given 15 producers.the co. i was working for at the time ended up reporting him for harrassment as he was making me late for my other deliveries and as we carried meds for chemists/hospitals it was important we was on time with them

I unfortunately hit a Staffie about a year ago,less than 500 yards from our depot,which is in the middle of a somewhat “socially deprived” housing estate.
A woman opened her front door,and the dog ran out,across the road,and straight under my front wheels,all this in full view of the woman and her 3 young kids :unamused: .It survived the initial impact,but subsequently died a short time later.
I carried the dog into her house,and tried to say all the right things,but being a dog owner myself,and being pretty upset,I probably spoke a load of gibberish.
I considered offering to run her and her dog to the local vet,but it was obvious that the dog was doomed,and as this woman obviously couldn’t afford a bar of soap and a comb,I doubted that she had pet insurance.
Anyway,I reported it to the local police,who ( later ) said no further action would be taken against me.
2 weeks later this woman turns up in my bosses office with her sob story,accusing me of speeding,not giving a ■■■■ etc. etc. and demanding compensation :imp:
A bit rich given that I was going uphill,fully laden,with speed bumps every 100 yards,and doing about 15 mph…and I was the only [zb]crying :blush:
My boss eventually bunged her £50 to shut her up…at least she can afford some soap now :wink:

loopyjuice:
me being me and knowing that the letter of the law classes cats as vermin requested to speak to his superior.

No they aren’t.

They are classed as pets.

Perhaps what you’ve heard is about them being legally classed as ‘free agents’ - as opposed to dogs which are still classed as livestock/legal property.

If you injure a dog in a road accident, you are obliged by law to report it to the police and the owner (but not many do these days - one of those laws which is dormant).

On the other hand, if you hit a cat, you don’t have to report it by law as they are free agents - ie nobody’s property. You aren’t even obliged to stop and check the cat - although most people do, otherwise they can still fall foul of the law for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal

And just in case - as they aren’t classed as vermin, it is also illegal to shoot or hunt cats.

From another forum.

loopyjuice:
about 5 yrs ago i was driving a van down a lane in tenbury wells and ran over a cat. the woman behind me reported me to the locals who stopped me as i was leaving the drop i was doing in tenbury. the young occifer cautioned me for hitting the cat and told me to expect a summons for failing to stop. me being me and knowing that the letter of the law classes cats as vermin requested to speak to his superior, who duly came out and gave him a right bollocking in front of me and made him appologise to me for wasting my time. after that for some strange reason every time this occifer saw me he pulled me over for a document check/or what ever excuse he thought of at the time. in the space of 2 months i was given 15 producers.the co. i was working for at the time ended up reporting him for harrassment as he was making me late for my other deliveries and as we carried meds for chemists/hospitals it was important we was on time with them

Really? Because to me, that sounds like RDC waiting room bull faeces fabricated in the mind of a lunatic. :smiley:

Twoninety88:

loopyjuice:
And just in case - as they aren’t classed as vermin, it is also illegal to shoot or hunt cats.

From another forum.

what a pity !!! cant stand the ruddy things , not sure i could deliberatley hurt one but just cant stand them. fell out with one neighbour at my last house when her 2 cats spent their time burying their crap in my garden,(it aint nice pulling weeds and getting a handfull of crap) and killing my plants,she thought it was funny :question: :question: …when asked would she find it funny if i allowed my dogs to crap all over her garden she threatened to get the police on to me, sorry cat lovers but if asked to vote make cats vermin i would. as for dogs runnung loose i would prosecute the owners. a pup still in training i could understand but an adult dog should be under control. pet owners should be “responsible” pet owners. rant over :slight_smile:

I love cats. This thread should now be filled with pictures of driver’s cats.

I love cats.,…Delicious! :wink:

I’m partial to a little ■■■■■ myself.

Ken.

I thought that the obligation to report dog accidents finished some years ago with the demise of dog licences.

I was driving between Limoux and Castelnaudary a few weeks ago and spotted this young dog in the road dodging the speeding traffic. I stopped and scooped him up into the back of the car and took him to the local vets.

They found no tattoo, chip or even collar and directed me to the local refuge. It was closed so the vet, when I rang them back said I should take him home, which I did.

Despite extensive publicity no claim for him came so I took him to my vet who castrated, vaccinated and chipped him. Thus he is now registered in my name. But I have another dog who doesn’t like males and attacks him from time to time, so the need to find a new owner for him is urgent.

Any takers? Downside of course is that he lives in the Dordogne at the moment. :laughing:

Spardo:
I thought that the obligation to report dog accidents finished some years ago with the demise of dog licences.

I was driving between Limoux and Castelnaudary a few weeks ago and spotted this young dog in the road dodging the speeding traffic. I stopped and scooped him up into the back of the car and took him to the local vets.

They found no tattoo, chip or even collar and directed me to the local refuge. It was closed so the vet, when I rang them back said I should take him home, which I did.

Despite extensive publicity no claim for him came so I took him to my vet who castrated, vaccinated and chipped him. Thus he is now registered in my name. But I have another dog who doesn’t like males and attacks him from time to time, so the need to find a new owner for him is urgent.

Any takers? Downside of course is that he lives in the Dordogne at the moment. :laughing:

The poor dog must be sorry he ever clapped eyes on you. Since meeting you he’s had his knackers removed, needles stuck in him, a microchip and your own dog goes for him too !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Mike-C:
[

The poor dog must be sorry he ever clapped eyes on you. Since meeting you he’s had his knackers removed, needles stuck in him, a microchip and your own dog goes for him too !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Have you seen that face Mike, he does look a bit shocked doesn’t he? :laughing: :laughing:

Anyway, you’ve obviously fallen for him (he is a good cab dog btw, due to the unwelcome attention at home he comes with me on my trips and is a great little hot water bottle these cold nights :wink: ) so when are you coming to see him?

Contraflow:

loopyjuice:

contraflow i couldn’t give a flying ■■■■ what you think i know its true

Really? Because tso me, that sounds like RDC waiting room bull faeces fabricated in the mind of a lunatic. :smiley:

For some reason in the 90`s Spanish drivers would run over stray dogs just for the sport, the roads were littered with dead dogs, some rotting away for months with maggots and blue bottle flies, you can imagine the smell in a 45 degree summer.

I love dogs,i have two of my own but if i had to hit one or cause a rta then iam sorry but the dog has to be hit.it cut me up but its the less of two evils

So much misinformation in one short thread. There is NO automatic obligation to report an accident to the Police simply because a dog (or other animal) was injured (or even killed). There is NO automatic obligation to report an accident to the police simply because someone is injured.

The legal obligations are exactly the same as any other road accident involving property damage - i.e. the driver must STOP at the scene, and give his name and address, the vehicle owner’s name & address, and vehicle registration mark to any person having reasonable grounds to require them (normally the owner or person in charge of whatever has been damaged). If a person has been injured then you must also show them your insurance certificate.
If you don’t do ALL of this (e.g. because the animal or property is unaccompanied, or the person is badly injured/unconscious) THEN you are obliged to report it, in person, to the police as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours.