Does your company pay for parking????

Well this is my way.

1. don’t park at an msa. “they are too noisy”
  2. claim the money back anyway “it’s tax deductable” “the boss will confirm this”
  3. claim it back again on form P87. “you then go to Hawaii on holiday”
    :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

pulltopark:
Am I for real? Are you for real? Have you ever worked in transport? Have you ever spent nights away from home?

and thats to coffeeholic :question:
:open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

3 weeks ago i had some derv nicked whilst parked in a layby ,after having a chat with my boss she said in no uncertain terms that she would prefer if i parked at truckstops and msa rather than laybys, even if it meant parking up earlier than normal. Her main objections to laybys was my safety and a good nights sleep with facilities to wash/shower eat use toilets etc and she would reimburse any expenses for parking with a valid receipt. when i metioned about load security and derv getting nicked she just said let them have it,DO NOT get involved and call the police after they have left and you feel secure.
She is a good boss and knows her job well :smiley:

gezt:
3 weeks ago i had some derv nicked whilst parked in a layby ,after having a chat with my boss she said in no uncertain terms that she would prefer if i parked at truckstops and msa rather than laybys, even if it meant parking up earlier than normal. Her main objections to laybys was my safety and a good nights sleep with facilities to wash/shower eat use toilets etc and she would reimburse any expenses for parking with a valid receipt. when i metioned about load security and derv getting nicked she just said let them have it,DO NOT get involved and call the police after they have left and you feel secure.

And that’s the way it should be! My gaffer is exactly the same… He spent some years as an employed driver himself before starting his business and understands the nature of the job. As gaffers go, he’s one of the best I’ve worked for!

gezt:

any class 2 jobs at your place ■■
I,m local ish
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

pulltopark:

s2rich:
Overnight parking is minimum £20 these days and i average 3 nights out a week…

Where you get £20.00 from I don’t know![/quotei

I meant motorway services yes . And the people saying that msa are secure is a joke . I have had my curtains slashed a fair few times and 80% of the time it is on the services

When I was at work the boss would pay for mine if he had to no problem as long as I got a recite also would pay all the tolls if he knew there were tolls he would give you a float with expenses sheet any left had to be handed back for next time or person it worked for him

That was a small company as well

Churchill:

pulltopark:
Am I for real? Are you for real? Have you ever worked in transport? Have you ever spent nights away from home?

amazon.com/Coffee-Go-Neil-Ho … 133&sr=1-6

Maybe a look at that then he may question Coffeeholic

animal:

Churchill:

pulltopark:

:open_mouth: Blimey, I was thinking that too. :open_mouth:

It’s like asking me whether I’ve ever carried chemicals or whether Dolly Parton sleeps on her back :laughing: :laughing:

That is £3000 alone just on parking and we have 20 trucks doing nights out so that is roughly £60,000 a year on something that does not need spending

20 Trucks say earn a (poor) average £2000 per week thats roughly £2,000,000, gross per year…£60,000 is not a great deal of money in the great scheme of things.
If your gaffer does not pay the FULL amount of parking PLUS the night out money then he is so tight he squeeks when he walks…and you need to tell him that , in the nicest possible way…as the late great Kenny E would say :laughing:

company pay for parking but not for a meal, which suits me fine coz if i ever have the misfourtune to park at an msa, the last ting i will be doing is eating in there!..sooner eat me own toejam!! :slight_smile:

animal:

pulltopark:

And…? Obviously, cynicism (sin-e-siz-em) is lost on you…! Coffeeholic has, for whatever reason, a problem with someone paying for parking, out of their own pocket, despite the expense being reimbursed later that week. It is a standard practice throughout the industry and I have come across it at several firms I have worked for. I fail to see what his problem is.

I failed to add that I carry a float and I presume Coffeholic has remained silent as it falls in with his line of reasoning. Nevertheless, I’m sure Coffeeholic is big enough and ugly enough :laughing: to fight from his own corner without some donkey intervening on his behalf looking to score points with smart comments!

Furthermore, using your reasoning, I can bypass 2-3 years of business school if I purchase this book and add the letters MBA to my name? I don’t think so…!

Coffeeholic has over 20 years of experience tramping, 18 of which he spent as an owner driver, hence knowing about business expenses. If he isn’t around to speak for himself it’s because he’s away down the road. :wink:

I wasn’t casting aspersions against Coffeeholic, I remarked that my failure to mention carrying a float kind of falls within his line of reasoning, indirectly supporting his argument. However, the comment by ‘animal’ suggests that the twenty years experience I have gained counts for nothing! I thought this forum was about logical debate without other members making smart comments and trying to score points?

pulltopark:
and get an accident bonus!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

so you get paid not to crash. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: isnt this standard practice.

do you not think your boss factors in parking to his quote for work. :question:

where’s robk when you need him.

jc69817:

gezt:

any class 2 jobs at your place ■■
I,m local ish
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

only got class 1 mate sorry

pulltopark:
Coffeeholic has, for whatever reason, a problem with someone paying for parking, out of their own pocket, despite the expense being reimbursed later that week.

No, no, no. Don’t have a problem with that and didn’t in fact say anywhere that I did have, as long as you get reimbursed in full. It seems if you pay more than £10 to park then you do not get reimbursed in full, that’s the bit I find strange.

pulltopark:
Are you for real?

Depends who i’m logged in as but under this name I am mostly for real.

pulltopark:
Have you ever worked in transport?

I’ve done a bit in transport yes.

pulltopark:
Have you ever spent nights away from home?

A few

pulltopark:
This is a standard practice throughout the whole of the transport industry.

Trust me it’s not standard practice through all the industry there are many drivers on here who would not dream of paying the company expenses from their own pocket and not get it reimbursed. Which goes back to my original point in asking WTF is up with drivers who pay/subsidise the company’s business expenses from their own pocket.

pulltopark:
Let me try to enlighten you…

Please do.

pulltopark:
My brother used to work for BT as a Senior Business Manager. All his business expenses were put on his own credit card. This included taking clients out to dinner, fuel for the company car, flights, hotels, and so on. At the end of the month BT would reimburse those expenses in full.

The bit in bold is the very relevant bit here, especially the words in and full. What do you think your brother would have said if BT had told him they would only reimburse 75% of the cost of his flight or 50% of his hotel costs?

pulltopark:
Why is it so different for me?

Oh it’s very different for you, as you clearly explain in the next bit.

pulltopark:
My gaffer pays me £21.40 to night out and £5.00 meal allowance wherever I park.

Which is money paid to you, tax free with the agreement of the revenue, to cover PERSONAL expenses incurred by you in pursuit of your employers business without the need to necessarily produce receipts. Parking the company truck is not a personal expense, which could lead to the tax man questioning the amount of expenses you are being paid and in the extreme land you with a tax bill. Unlikely but who knows these days.

pulltopark:
If I pay £10.00 parking it’s reimbursed at the end of the week along with the night out money and meal allowances.

No problem there, but if you pay more than £10 to park you aren’t getting the full amount reimbursed. This means you are paying the extra out of the night out money, which once again is for personal expenses, not company ones. Therein lies the difference, your brother got reimbursed in full, if you pay more than £10 to park you don’t and are paying the extra out of your own pocket. Would you pay for some of the fuel your truck uses each week out of your own pocket because it would boil down to the same thing, paying for company expenses out of your own pocket.

pulltopark:
I get well over £100 every week in cash on top of my wages

If you weren’t helping the boss out by subsidising his business expenses you may have more than £100 every week, got to be better eh?

pulltopark:
I still can’t see your problem!

I don’t have a problem, I’m not paying my company’s business expenses, you for some strange reason seem to be doing just that on occasion, and even stranger you seem happy with the arrangement.

pulltopark:
Nevertheless, I’m sure Coffeeholic is big enough and ugly enough :laughing: to fight from his own corner

Not anywhere near as big as I used to be having lost a third of the bodyweight I started this year with, :smiley: :smiley: but still as ugly. :frowning: :cry:

My firms policy is if you have a loaded box on they insist you park in services and they will pay for it, but won’t if you are running with an empty box on. Which I think is plenty fair. I’ve never seen the point in parking in a services with an empty box/trailer anyway.

Where do I start without repeating myself?

I have a float which I carry for expenses such as parking, tolls and so on. If I pay for parking, it comes out of this float and, providing I submit a receipt, the float is reimbursed with the parking fee. I’m not out of pocket in any way, shape or form; I am not subsidising his business in any way, shape or form.

If parking is any more than £10.00, I’ll notify him first and take it from the float. Again I submit a receipt and the float is reimbursed with the parking fee. I’m not out of pocket in any way, shape or form; I am not subsidising his business in any way, shape or form.

For example, I have a float of £100.00. To make it simple, I have one night out during the week and the parking costs £10.00. I take £10.00 out of the £100.00 float to pay for the parking which leaves me £90 float. At the end of the week I submit my expenses and I get £36.40 cash - £10.00 to replenish the float, £21.40 for doing the night out and £5.00 meal allowance. How am I out of pocket?

pulltopark:
Where do I start without repeating myself?

I have a float which I carry for expenses such as parking, tolls and so on. If I pay for parking, it comes out of this float and, providing I submit a receipt, the float is reimbursed with the parking fee. I’m not out of pocket in any way, shape or form; I am not subsidising his business in any way, shape or form.

If parking is any more than £10.00, I’ll notify him first and take it from the float. Again I submit a receipt and the float is reimbursed with the parking fee. I’m not out of pocket in any way, shape or form; I am not subsidising his business in any way, shape or form.

For example, I have a float of £100.00. To make it simple, I have one night out during the week and the parking costs £10.00. I take £10.00 out of the £100.00 float to pay for the parking which leaves me £90 float. At the end of the week I submit my expenses and I get £36.40 cash - £10.00 to replenish the float, £21.40 for doing the night out and £5.00 meal allowance. How am I out of pocket?

Under those circumstances you are not. However your first post implied if the parking was say £15 you would get £10 back, the £10 the gaffer will pay toward the cost of parking, leaving you to make up the £5. Now you are saying if the parking cost is £15 the gaffer will pay all of it, which does indeed mean you are not out of pocket.

Statement 1

pulltopark:
My gaffer expects us to park at truckstops and will pay £10.00 towards the cost of parking.

Statement 2

pulltopark:
If parking is any more than £10.00, I’ll notify him first and take it from the float. Again I submit a receipt and the float is reimbursed with the parking fee.

So it went from the gaffer will pay £10 toward the cost of parking to the gaffer will pay the full cost of parking. :unamused: :unamused:

How the hell am I supposed to argu… I mean debate with you if you keep moving the goal posts? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: